Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just bought an '02 ZX6R with 4k miles four days ago. The bike runs great and it appears that the owner has taken excellent care of it. Though, there is a problem that has me very concerned. Once I get going, at around 20ish on up, I hear this whining noise coming from around the tranny area. The pitch/loudness of the noise seems to be dependant upon the speed of the gear. It only makes noise when under load, acceleration, etc. It doesn't happen if I just rev the motor at a stop, so I know it isn't from the engine. The noise sounds like the whine of a supercharger on a car or the sound of a manual trannied car that is backing up. I lubed the chain today, but that didn't help. I most fear that it is coming from a bearing or something in the tranny. This is my first streetbike, so maybe it is something I am just overlooking. Any ideas?

·
Registered
610 Posts
have a mechanic check it out..

maybe ur just bogging the engine in 2 low of a gear.. on a 600 i dont like to be under 5 k when cruzin..

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Chances are it's just the normal whine you hear from the main gear that drives from the crank to transmission. They tend to whine a little under load.

As a precaution, check that the chain has the correct freeplay in it. Any error should be to the loose side, never to the tight side. Measured in the middle of the span the play should probably be around an inch, maybe more, but the correct spec for your bike should appear either on a sticker on or in the proximity of the chain guard or certainly in your owner's manual. Make sure you use the correct spec as all bikes are not the same. Too tight will hurt the chain at the very least, and can damage the final drive shaft/bearing at the worst. Never have it too tight and be cautious about being way too loose as the chain could then derail and possibly lock up the rear wheel. Good luck.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
What Dad has suggested is what I will back rather then cog box problems.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It isn't any bogging that is causing the sound as I can hear the noise until like 6-7k rpm when engine noise finally drowns it out. It is a pretty profound whine, something which I wouldn't think would be considered normal for a bike. The chain tension is more on the loose side, but definitely not enough for it to jump the sprocket. Smitty...what symptoms are characteristic of cog box problems? I'm definitely going to get a tech to check it out though, just thought I would check with you guys first.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Basically gearbox problems are in the shifting from one gear to another so the selector or finding that the bike is locked into just one gear.

I would look closer at the rear chain, follow its moves, look at the tension or slack of the chain,what it may be rubbing against AND you could find the small sprocket is working its way loose & so damage to the spline.

The chain could be woren so pull on the the chain at the very back of the r/wheel sprocket with thumb & fore-finger & if it seems to lift or come OUT a bit that would be excessive chain wear.

Also look at the sprokets & see if they are showing signs of wear or it possible a tooth of a sprocket has snapped off around the top or are sort of leaning forward which would be sign of wear on the sprocket(s).

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
The sound you're describing sounds more or less like the normal sounds that come from my bike. (Except for the manual tranny in reverse part..) My R1 definately has a distinct sort of turbine engine whine to it, especially when in the beginning stages of the powerband.

Certainly check out the above suggestions, because those guys have a million times the experience that I do, but beyond that, it sounds kind of like a normal sound to me..:2cents:

·
Registered
181 Posts
I'd check to see if a wheel or the chain is rubbing on something. If they put an oversize tire on, that could be rubbing. There are all kinds of things that could rub. I've seen fenders that get knocked a little so they rub. Put it up on stands and spin the wheels BY HAND.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, I wear a helmet, but I do know what you mean about the extra hearing capability. I will check for excessive chain/sprocket wear as you guys suggest, but I noticed something today, which might help to narrow the problem down a little. I noticed that 2nd and 4th gear seem to make noticably more noise than any other gear. I don't know the signifigance of this observation, if any, but maybe it is pointing at something internal?

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
br1ev8 said:
Yes, I wear a helmet, but I do know what you mean about the extra hearing capability. I will check for excessive chain/sprocket wear as you guys suggest, but I noticed something today, which might help to narrow the problem down a little. I noticed that 2nd and 4th gear seem to make noticably more noise than any other gear. I don't know the signifigance of this observation, if any, but maybe it is pointing at something internal?
Here's a thought......take it to the fawkin shop already and get it checked out!!! Wow, what a concept!!! If something is slightly screwed up, you might be making it and other things worse, by riding the bike. How would you like something lockin gup when you are riding??? No that would not be fun. If you do not know what the problem is....take it to someone who can figure it out.:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Um....ok....thanks for the informative post ugly. If you'd check my first reply in this post, you will see that I plan to take this "concept" of taking it to a shop into action. I just haven't had the time to do so thus far. But, in the meantime, is it killing you to see that I want to look at other avenues for possible remedy before I take it to the shop? I mean, that is what this section of the forum is for right?

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Yup I read that, when it was first posted. Obviously nobody can give you a clear cut answer on the net, considering they are not at the physical location of the bike. I was sayin bring it in and quit riding it, because you might be making it worse or the bike might get you hurt. Hey you know what you are doing...just keep riding it and find out the hard way.:squid:

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
br1ev8: Once you get the bike back & it is running properly, to your ear & feeling. Do let us know what it was.

Believe me that helps a lot to all the registered riders on this board. If something bothers me I might ask a question & once solved I will tell others the answer.

After on this & other boards are really a two way street, for them to be of use to regulars.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok, so I took it down to a reputable shop today and let the mechanic give it a spin. He comes back and said that "everything is real tight" and that the "slight" whine he hears isn't a problem. He said that the primary gears are straight cut and will have a whine to them and that after some more miles the whine will lessen. So, as most of you guys stated, it is something that isn't really a problem, but I just wanted to make sure. Anyhow, thanks all for the input to my inquiry.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Thanks for the reply. One of the many things that will catch the attention to someone not familiar to m/cs. Probably more dramatic stories with cages ONLY they are muffled off by he body & such of the cage.

That is why Kevlar asked if you wore a crash helmet for with the coverage of a modern helmet that also muffles some sound & if you had been using a helmet & changed to NO helmet then more sounds would be picked up with less baffling.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts