Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been riding a sportbike for a while now and am ready for a more upright position and the look of the naked bikes is very appealling. Which one would you recommend? I do like acceleration, so that's an issue with me. Top end I don't care about so much. My favorites thus far are the 599, SV650, and the FZ6 but have looked at others and am open to persuasion.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
I like the retro look ZRX but if you go modern the bandits are a steal and the z1/fz1 rock IMHO.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I own a 2001 SV650 i bought it 4 months ago, and love it. Its very tourqy, and great on the highway. It easily pulls wheelies, and turns on a dime. So i hoped to have helped you.

·
Registered
505 Posts
BikeLoadofBeef said:
I have been riding a sportbike for a while now and am ready for a more upright position and the look of the naked bikes is very appealling. Which one would you recommend? I do like acceleration, so that's an issue with me. Top end I don't care about so much. My favorites thus far are the 599, SV650, and the FZ6 but have looked at others and am open to persuasion.
since you seem to like the mid weights
Why not a Triumph speed four,they have fully adjustable suspension( none of those you mentioned do),a great engine,handel like a dream,are comfortable and are in the same price range as the rest.In Motorcyclist magazines test of the naked 600's they did't compare the Speed four with the others because it out classed them so easy.
i currently own a Speed triple and can tell you in 7800 miles of riding it has been a absolute hoot to ride,and trouble free.Fit and finish are with the best out there.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Re: Re: which to buy?

Maddjack said:
since you seem to like the mid weights
Why not a Triumph speed four,they have fully adjustable suspension( none of those you mentioned do),a great engine,handel like a dream,are comfortable and are in the same price range as the rest.In Motorcyclist magazines test of the naked 600's they did't compare the Speed four with the others because it out classed them so easy.
i currently own a Speed triple and can tell you in 7800 miles of riding it has been a absolute hoot to ride,and trouble free.Fit and finish are with the best out there.
Oh Yah, good call. I forgot that one and yes it is a VERY tasty option in the mid-naked class.

I was REALLY dismayed by motorcyclists decision not to test the speed4 along side the other choices in the review. Their rational sounded pretty lame. "It would have won too easily or was too potent for begginers who are the focus of the article" was plane dumb. They should have tested it with all te rest and included a warning of "not for a first bike".

:2cents:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I took a look at the Speed 4 and that has become without a doubt my first choice. I am moving 7/21 and there is a Triumph dealership where I am going, I'd like to test one if they allow it. Any additional information about the Speed 4 would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
505 Posts
It has excellent mapping on the injection.The twin headlamp deal is great for night or even dusk riding,lights a hellva big area up and I think those twin lights are the setup to beat.Ergos are good for me 6ft1 inch 33 inseam.Good rubber out of the box in current common sportbike sizes for ease of choice..the flyscreen works well.The stock brake lines on all Triumphs are stainless steel.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yea im really lookin foward in buyin the rs50,but im really more interested into gettin the rs125...but those are mostly European bikes but some people smuggle them in..im suppose to go to dealer next week to look at the rs50's......are they a good bike for someone that almost 6'0?

·
Registered
36 Posts
The triumph speed 4 is a very good bike, but the thing I would worry about is parts availability. There have been rumors of triumph dropping the sport bike line, and I know for a fact that the parts can be hard to come by right now, I traded in a 2000 speed triple to get a 599. I hope triumph continues with a full lineup, but looking at where their development dollars are going it does not look good for the sporting lineup.

You know a bike that might be worth waiting for is the Kaw z750, I'm sure that it will be offered next year, and in canada it sells for about the same price as the 599& fz6.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
I have not heard anything about Triumph dropping the sport lineup and they just dumpped a ton of money into a revamped 600 Race Rep that's finally up to par with the big four. The speed four is base on the the foundation of the Race Rep 600 (TT ?).

·
Registered
505 Posts
Evans89 said:
The triumph speed 4 is a very good bike, but the thing I would worry about is parts availability. There have been rumors of triumph dropping the sport bike line, and I know for a fact that the parts can be hard to come by right now, I traded in a 2000 speed triple to get a 599. I hope triumph continues with a full lineup, but looking at where their development dollars are going it does not look good for the sporting lineup.

You know a bike that might be worth waiting for is the Kaw z750, I'm sure that it will be offered next year, and in canada it sells for about the same price as the 599& fz6.
No disrespect but your info is bogus,they have no intention of dropping the sportbike line and I have zero problem getting anything for my speed Triple.We have 3 very good dealers within 75 miles and I am not afraid to buy or let them service my machine.
Anything I have had to order(even painted parts) only took 5 to 10 days.Maybe your dealer :dunno: was putzing around.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK, I threw a leg over a S4 and could not stand flat footed. For me that's a problem; I feel they're too tall if I cannot stand with both feet flat (I'm 5'9"). That throws it out of the running, any other suggestions?

·
Registered
36 Posts
At 5-09 I would'nt think you could have a problem with any of the bikes on your list. I'm shorter than you and have learned to be comfortable with one foot on the ground most of the time, beacuse thats the way it is. The 599 is the smaller of these bikes, but not by that much. It's hard to go wrong these days, all the bikes you are looking at are great, hope you find one that fits right.:)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's just a preference thing. I'm more comfortable and feel a bit more stable if I can be flat footed. But, if I like the bike enough, I could probably learn to live with it. I thought at 5'9" I wouldn't have any trouble, but I did.
Is Honda's 919 worth the extra $ over the 599? The 919 had the best fit so far.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The 919 is a fine bike, a great all around street machine. Just wish honda would offer it in a real color, like red or blue for christs sake, Ha. :p In fact I'm going on a ride today with three guys and one has a 919 so I'll get to check it out more closely, I know he's happy with it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
i just got a 919 and i love the bike. i have had a S3 and thought that was great too. you might reconsider the 919 for a first bike as it does have quite a bit more power. if you like the 919, i would suggest getting the 599 as they should be almost identical except for engine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
This won't be my first bike, that's why I'm looking at the 919. My first bike was a ZX9 so I'm used to the power. My concern is that I would be disappointed with the 599 in that regard.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts