Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which sportbike do you think has had the biggest impact on the sportbiking market. :)

I personally think that the Yamaha R1 has made the biggest overall impact on the market. I completely "reshaped" the open class bikes and indirectly the other classes. It revitalized the open class racing in AMA and club racing. :cool:

Honorable Mention to the first Honda CBR900RR. :)

I think the Ducati 916 had the biggest impact on 4-stroke roadracing(modern era that is). :rolleyes: ;)

I think that the KR3 Modenas is one of the really big things in GP roadracing although it hasn't had that big of an impact yet. :)

What do you think?

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Interesting!

For modern bikes, I agree that the R1 has inspired change in everything.

Back in the late 80's and early 90's, I'd have to go with the CBR600's. F-F2. Seems like Honda was the cutting edge in "daily driver" sportbikes for most of that time. The FZR's and ZX's were cool for a while, but not like the Hondas.

Before that is REALLY before my time. :D

·
Registered
698 Posts
The 1984 Kawasaki 900R Ninja was THE bike that changed the sportbike market.

The first with DOHC 4-valve AND watercooling. The first to combine the power of a liter class with the handling of a 750 class. Remember back then, there were no 600 class. The first SB to achieve 154 mph top speed. Everyone else copied that format ever since.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
If you mean all sportbikes in general, it has to be the Hurricane or maybe the F2. If you mean big bikes i.e. litre bikes or whatever its the first 900RR.

·
Registered
212 Posts
least and not forget.....

How about the Kawasaki Ninja? Man in the eighties, everyone I knew wasn't talking about yama or Honda. They were talking about the Ninja being the badass of the streets... Not anymore since the Yama HEHE

Hey, Rcjohn, never buy a R1? Wait, I am having a flash back.....you ride a Honda RC? I think they are sooooo ugly! :) I do think they match the riders, don't you? ;) I think my R6 is a very handsome, sexy bike, kinda like Kristy Swanson in your bath tube, I am getting excited just thinking about it!... :D :D ;)

·
Registered
289 Posts
I will go with the CBR600 and the Ducati 916.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Re: least and not forget.....

richardr6 said:
How about the Kawasaki Ninja? Man in the eighties, everyone I knew wasn't talking about yama or Honda. They were talking about the Ninja being the badass of the streets
Yes, that was the battlecry of the uneducated pinheads. Wooo, NINJAS are fast! Woooo, NINJAS are the bomb! Why didn't you buy a NINJA?!
Well, now the battlecry of the mindless herd has changed. Woooo, R6s are the bomb! WOOOO, R6s are fast!

Eventually, the lemmings will cause thier own demise.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: least and not forget.....

richardr6 said:

Hey, Rcjohn, never buy a R1? Wait, I am having a flash back.....you ride a Honda RC? I think they are sooooo ugly!
The answer is still no. I have never had a desire to own an R1 and probably never will. Now the R6 is another story. I would buy one of them if I could own multiple sportbikes. :)

Besides, you know what they say about opinions... :D:p

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
RCjohn said:
I think the Ducati 916 had the biggest impact on 4-stroke roadracing(modern era that is). :rolleyes: ;)

What do you think?
I think one of us is confused.

The R1 is a four-stroke, too.

Did you mean the early TZ Yamahas?

I guess either way, you are right.

BTW I thought it was big of you to list the 916, considering your avatar.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Re: Re: Which sportbike...

desmo079 said:

I think one of us is confused.

The R1 is a four-stroke, too.

Did you mean the early TZ Yamahas?

I guess either way, you are right.

BTW I thought it was big of you to list the 916, considering your avatar.
I'm confused now. Are you saying that the R1 has had a bigger impact than the Ducati 916 on roadracing? :confused:

I personally don't feel that the R1 has made a big impact on roadracing. I just feel that it could be argued as having one of the biggest impacts on the sportbiking market. :)

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
You are right. The Ducati 916 clearly had the bigger inpact on racing. However the R1 had a big impact on the four cylinder open bike manufacturers. Just as the 916 stimulated the japanese to build the japanese twins.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Re: Re: least and not forget.....

funksouljon said:

Yes, that was the battlecry of the uneducated pinheads. Wooo, NINJAS are fast! Woooo, NINJAS are the bomb! Why didn't you buy a NINJA?!
Well, now the battlecry of the mindless herd has changed. Woooo, R6s are the bomb! WOOOO, R6s are fast!

Eventually, the lemmings will cause thier own demise.
Damn, now I really feel like a "lower class rider" for riding a naked Kawasaki 750. Oh well, its still a good bike and I enjoy riding it. Tom in NC.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
desmo079 said:
However the R1 had a big impact on the four cylinder open bike manufacturers. Just as the 916 stimulated the japanese to build the japanese twins.
That is why I said that, in my opinion is the R1 has had the biggest impact on the sportbiking market. :)

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
desmo079 said:
However the R1 had a big impact on the four cylinder open bike manufacturers
Which is why my original post said:

Which sportbike do you think has had the biggest impact on the sportbiking market. :)

I personally think that the Yamaha R1 has made the biggest overall impact on the market. I completely "reshaped" the open class bikes and indirectly the other classes. It revitalized the open class racing in AMA and club racing. :cool:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts