Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want something that is under or about $200, non-leather, offers pretty good protection, doesn't look cheesy, and is relatively light since it is so hot here. I have narrowed it down to 2 that I really like.

Hein Gericke Spin jacket(Red/Grey/Black)
Technics Chicane jacket (Red/Black)

Both appear to offer adequate protection and look pretty good. I tend to like the Red better because it is more visable. Would either of these jackets be a good selection? Which one would you choose and why. Thanks

------------------

·
Registered
167 Posts
I don't have any first-hand experience with those specific jackets so I can't advise you on which is better, but I can tell you how I'd decide, since I live in a climate similar to yours.

Which one is more versatile? Which one can you wear all year, even when conditions change? In other words, which has more adjustable ventilation, which will keep you drier in a sudden downpour?

A jacket that can adjust to fit the conditions will feel like a friend. One that can't will just get on your nerves and you'll be more likely not to be wearing it when you need it most.

------------------

·
Registered
192 Posts
I don't know about the Spin jacket, but I have the the Gericke Cybersport jacket, which appears to be similar, and love it. It is very versitile, with a thermal liner for the cold weather and yet the sleeves can be opened to help ventilate in the warmer times of year. It is solid, light and looks good too. A big plus with the jacket is the foam armor. It isn't as good as the plastic CE stuff found in some jackets, but it is definately an improvement over nothing! ;)

------------------
Richard M. Poniarski
'00 Kawasaki ZR750F2, a.k.a. ZR-7
AMA #674623
NY S666C
ZR7OA #3

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just saw in the classifieds a First Gear team Green jacket. I like the look because its loud and would not mind the color since it would match the ZX7R I plan on getting really soon. I would defnitely be interested in checking out what this jacket offers as far as protection and features. Does First Gear have a website? If not, where can I view theit products like this jacket?

------------------

S

·
0 Posts
Posted By Smokin Joe <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Aril, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>I like the look because its loud and would not mind the color since it would match the ZX7R<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Spoken like a true Poser !! ;) j/k, Hey Smokey
I was just curious as to why you don't wan't leather?

------------------
If somebody sounds as though they might know more than you, talk more and louder.

Adam

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You know I was laughing as soon as I got the email that informed me you had responded to this post. Even though you don't mention it, I know your trying to scope out what I'll be wearing this season so you can one up me. ;)

I don't want leather because it is way too hot here and most leather is too heavy not to mention expensive. Besides, I just bought a brand new Marlins Starter jacket for when it gets chilly. It matches the Kaw green really well. :D

------------------

·
Squid
2019 Ducati Monster 1200s
813 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Aril, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Smokin' Joe:

Besides, I just bought a brand new Marlins Starter jacket for when it gets chilly. It matches the Kaw green really well. :D

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Like Squid said, spoken like a true poser. j/k

------------------
John
http://photos.yahoo.com/jk6672

S

·
0 Posts
I think we should open a new forum, Posing 101.

But who will Moderate ????? :D

Hey Smokin' Joe,
Does your license plate say TOOCOOL ? ;) J/K

Did you get your Bike ?? Scan in those pics!

------------------
If somebody sounds as though they might know more than you, talk more and louder.

Adam

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I sincerely hope you guys know I was joking about that starter jacket. As if Marlin Green matches better than Shark Green. You guys know I can match colors better than that.

About a jacket sizing though. I'm about 5'9" and about 190lbs. I'm fairly stocky and wear a 44 coat but I don't know if I should get a large or a medium. I'm worried the arms on the large will be too long. Any advice on this?

Squid- No, I don't have the bike yet so I can't scan the pics. Actually I'm getting really close and I am talking to 2 owners this week about price, shipping, etc. It will be a Green '98 or '99 ZX7R though.

------------------

S

·
0 Posts
I'm 6'0 205, We are probably the same thickness, get the large, If you ever go somewhere cold you can put a thick sweater under... :)

Posted By Posin' Joe <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Aril, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>I sincerely hope you guys know I was joking about that starter jacket. As if Marlin Green matches better than Shark Green. You guys know I can match colors better than that.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ya know I need someone to decorate my house, I just can't decide on fuchsia or Wild tropical plum :confused: :D

------------------

Adam

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'd recommend that you save your money and buy a Vanson perforated leather jacket. Personally, I ride in a Dianese one piece perforated suit, but some friends have Vanson's and they swear by them. Go to http://www.newenough.com -they sell both new and used Vanson jackets. Trust me on this - you'll be glad you spent the extra money! It'll provide more protection in a get-off, and they are extremely comfortable. The ventilation moves an incredible amount of air, and the jacket is comfortable in 100+ deg weather as long as you're moving. I have a lightweight cordura jacket, but my perforated leathers are a lot more comfortable in the heat. Plus, the lightweight jackets are very noisy (since they are light, they will flap incessantly at speed).

------------------

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
At the risk of bringing this back on topic; I'll have top to 2nd the Vanson Perf jacket. The Vanson fits great (that adjustable waist is awesome--I hate the way other jackets bunch up when you tighten the waist). The perforation doesn't give much relief past 100F but then again, what the hell does? Only thing is---at 60F it starts getting a bit chilly, I may have to buy the regular Vanson for the Winter :D . The quality is really top notch--not as good as Starter, but real close :D .

------------------
"When it rains, we all get wet, the Pope and the prostitute"-Santana

[This message has been edited by RUG BURN (edited September 20, 2000).]

·
Registered
167 Posts
Maybe you and the pope and the prostitute and Santana all get wet when it rains, but I don't. That's because you're wearing perforated leather and I'm in my Cordura with Gore-tex. I've worn perforated leather and cordura and in the hot weather I personally prefer cordura. My jacket has lots of ventilation and to me feels cooler.

No question about the Vanson quality, but I still choose my cordura jacket over my leather gear most of the time. Just a matter of personal preference.

------------------

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the help guys. I did look at the perf leather jackets but I think I'm going to go with something like Condura. I am either going to get the Green First Gear jacket for sale in the classifieds or the Teknic Chicane jacket. Now I need to go try on some jackets ata local shop to see what size I need.

------------------

·
Registered
39 Posts
Another one worth checking is the Joe Rocket Cordura. They have shorter ones for around $179, and longer ones for right at $200. Check competition accessories, I think they carry the line.

I just helped a buddy of mine with a new ZR7 pick out one of these jackets. Tons of adjustments, lots of well thought out features, soft armor, lots of pockets... definately a great jacket, and about the best price I have seen for "real" riding gear.

Bill

------------------
"The object of opening the mind, as of opening the mouth, is to eventually close it again on something solid" (GK Chesterton)

·
Registered
33 Posts
I just bought a Hein Gericke Spin jacket yesterday. If you (Smokin JOE) can wait, I'll give you a report on it by Monday 10/16. As for fit, I'm 6'0", 41 chest, 34 sleeve, 32 waist and the Large fits well. I just have enough room for a sweater underneath. The sleeves are a bit "blousy," but they have tie-downs which I'll road test this weekend. www.newenough.com has these for $145. I only wish it had a zip-out liner, but I was taken in by the low price. I'll wear either a wool sweater or fleece jacket underneath. Good luck with your choice.

------------------

·
Registered
33 Posts
Well no one responded to my Spin jacket review offer, but since I said I would post one, here it is. It was low 80's and sunny Sat. and the jacket was fine. The biceps vents worked well, with especially pleasing flow if you hold your arm up into the wind for a few seconds. The lack of a "fuzzy" lining makes for a bit clammy feeling on the arms when in traffic (i.e., low speeds and less air flow). The "blousy" arms I mentioned were no problem. This morning was 62 deg. and the jacket was plenty warm. I would say it would be adequate at least until it gets below 55 deg., then you can add a sweater or something underneath. The sleeve length is a little long when walking, but perfect when riding. The jacket comes down to exactly my waist, but doesn't ride up at all. The double-overlap front zipper makes on-the-bike adjustments difficult, but that's probably true for all jackets. The arm vents are easy to close but are tricky to open while riding. The reflective logos and piping are quite noticeable (a good thing). It may rain today, so I may have a waterproofing report tomorrow. So far, I am happy with my choice. Again, good luck with whatever jacket you choose.

------------------

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a Belstaff cordura jacket which I love and dont ride without. Zip out lining, lots of pockets, vented and dry as a bone in extended rides in cold rain.
I also think its very good looking. Good armor and reflective material also.

C

------------------

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I ended up getting the Teknic Chicane Condura jacket on stockout for $119 which was an absolute steal from MAW! It fits perfect for me, looks really good, has reflective striping, and seems to have good ventilation and padding even in the kidney area. I can't say how it feels riding yet cause the bike gets here in a week but I'll let you guys know. Thanks for all the help.

------------------

1 - 20 of 27 Posts