• RR

Votes: 20 62.5%

• Total voters
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im new here and to the bike world, and I know the F4 would be a better choice for me more than likely having never owned a bike before but I really like the RR. You guys are experts what do you think? How much of a difference is there between the two, really?

Thanks, Chris

:confused:

·
Registered
94 Posts
You owe it to yourself to do some thorough research. Starting out on either one of those bikes will make enjoying this whole sport a whole lot harder. Take a look at the new rider portion of this forum. You'll find advice, examples, and reasoning. I suggest considering something along the lines of a Suzuki Katana 600, or even a Kawasaki Ninja 500R (EX500). Another good one to take a look at would be a Suzuki GS500. Think about it- do you jump into anything else by getting the biggest and baddest first? Probably not. Grow into this sport, otherwise you may not be around long enough to enjoy the full impact of it. :2cents:

·
Registered
24 Posts
InsaneWheelie said:
You owe it to yourself to do some thorough research. Starting out on either one of those bikes will make enjoying this whole sport a whole lot harder. Take a look at the new rider portion of this forum. You'll find advice, examples, and reasoning. I suggest considering something along the lines of a Suzuki Katana 600, or even a Kawasaki Ninja 500R (EX500). Another good one to take a look at would be a Suzuki GS500. Think about it- do you jump into anything else by getting the biggest and baddest first? Probably not. Grow into this sport, otherwise you may not be around long enough to enjoy the full impact of it. :2cents:
Not trying to argue directly, but realize he IS talking about a middle bike, not a GSXR 750 or up. Most bikes in the sportbike world are far harder to work with than a 600. He could be asking about a CBR 1100 (Blackbird ?) or something. IMHO, a CBR 600 NON RR would be a great starting point, assuming you're not an idiot and are a bit grown up. That begs the question, how old are you? Maybe that's the MOST important point here. ;)

·
Registered
94 Posts
I agree that if someone has maturity, discipline, and level-headedness, then they can handle an inline-four 600. I notice that V-EngineMan hasn't ridden in 5 years. Things have changed over five years. The literbikes are still the baddest, fastest thing out there. 600's are only increments behind those literbikes. So to say "realize he IS talking about a middle bike, not a GSXR 750 or up." Referrign to a 600cc modern sportbike as a "middle bike" doesn't give it the respect it needs. The performance specs on a modern 600 rival that of most cages available today. Not knowing this person, I still recommend a 500cc bike to start off on. Should you choose to get a GSXR-600, just know that you will be taking an extra risk. :2cents:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yeah, the liter bikes are hyper fast, but I am suprised at how fast the 600's are - as I found out after I last posted. The 600 F4i is in the middle 10's (IIRC) in the 1/4. That is mind boggling to me.

Impala, no matter what bike you get you should take a rider safety course. You'd be suprised at how much you need to know when riding a motorcycle. However, if you do get a newer 600, make damn sure that you take a course or you re-injure that knee and likely a lot more. ;)

·
Strength and Honor
6,144 Posts
InsaneWheelie said:
Referrign to a 600cc modern sportbike as a "middle bike" doesn't give it the respect it needs. The performance specs on a modern 600 rival that of most cages available today. Not knowing this person, I still recommend a 500cc bike to start off on. Should you choose to get a GSXR-600, just know that you will be taking an extra risk. :2cents:
Understatement. Do some research using the Search button and "new rider" or "first bike".

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I decided on the GSX-R600. And of course a full set of leathers(two piece) and a good helmet. Ill probally wear my jungle boots from the Marines for boots. And of course I'm taking the safety course. All I dream about now is that bike. It even takes over my dreams more than Ferraris do! Im getting to obsessed. Every night I go to bed I read the Manual I got from the BMV to pass the couse.

I cant wait!!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
God knows that I can relate to that feeling. I wasn't planning on buying until next year but I can't think about anything else. I'm looking at ZX11's myself... UGGGHH:drool:

·
Registered
250 Posts
96ImpalaSS said:
I decided on the GSX-R600. And of course a full set of leathers(two piece) and a good helmet. Ill probally wear my jungle boots from the Marines for boots. And of course I'm taking the safety course. All I dream about now is that bike. It even takes over my dreams more than Ferraris do! Im getting to obsessed. Every night I go to bed I read the Manual I got from the BMV to pass the couse.

I cant wait!!!
If you have the older style jungle boots, dont bother wearing them. In a crash the boot wont protet the bone sticking out on the side of your ankle. Get something that will provide protection over the entire foot and ankle.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I'm 22 and am fairly new to to the sport bike world. I was looking orignally at the 600's and relizing how much power they had decide to go smaller and start out on a Ninja 250R. That bike is a great beginners bike, hell I have already had it to a 105 MPH, but only once. Propely will never do that again.:p

·
Registered
41 Posts
96ImpalaSS said:
Im 20. I recently got out of the Marines after getting a knee injury. I spent the weekend looking around and now Im getting hooked on the gixxers.
Hehe, He was a Marine, if he is mature enough to carry a gun and shoot people, he should be mature enough for a 600 ;)

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Someone commented on the old style jungle boots... they are absolutely correct. The only thing a jungle boot is going to do is piss the road off even more if you were to happen to go down. And the ICB's are too big and clunky to switch gears, though they offer some damn good protection. I just went to wal-mart and bought a $20 pair of boots that covers the ankle and offers sturdy protection.

For the Marines...any of you guys still in? Just hit my 4 year mark in May! I EAS in 2008 now. Am about to head to HQ III MEF...should be interesting if Korea decides to be stupid after we reduce the # of troops over there...ay yay yay...

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm 42 been riding my whole life and currently ride a 2004 honda ST1300. I had been debating sport bikes because on the weekends I ride the north GA mtns with friends who ride sport bikes. I know from experience and what other sportbike riders say that a 600 is all you need. I want one because I end up riding the ST too hard up in the twisties (We're not the fastest and not trying to be but we have fun). Anyway I knew I didn't neet a 1000cc sportbike so after much debate I just picked up a 2005 Honda F4i and love it. Trust me its plenty fast. Maybe 10hp less than the current crop of sportbikes but more comfortable (your not sitting on your hands and pegs a little lower). I see you bought a 600gsxr. Great bike but be careful, sport bikes require skill to ride.
Make sure to take the rider safety course and read proficient motorcycling they both make you think about what you're doing.
So at least when you decide to take chances you have a better idea of what you're getting into and maybe how to get out of trouble. Also the rider safety course gives a 10% annual discount on insurance.
When I was coming off dirt bikes and getting a street bike a friend who raced made me practice braking. We used a long driveway and I had to keep my feet on the pegs and not use the rear brake and hit the front as hard as I could until stopped. I did this over and over until using the front brake was drilled into my head. I think proicient motorcycing even recommends not using the rear brake at all so that in a emergency stop you'll go with what your used to and grab the fronts. Anyway I'm rambling.

Have fun! be safe

Steve

·
Registered
27 Posts
I looked at both the F4i and RR and decided on F4i. The RR is a race bike with turn signals. The riding position is much more agressive. I guess it really depends on what you want. I wanted a bike that I could ride to work and also take on the back roads on the weekends.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My first sportbike was a 1987 VFR500 Interceptor the I did not ride for 10 years and I ended up with the 929RR had it for almost 2 years no major issues but I know if I would have had a bike that was this powerful back when I was 20 something I would probally not be alive today I am now 38 and I still ride hard and fast but I am old enough to know when and where to do it see a lot of the young guys around here shooting in an out of traffic passing in curves or just not able to keep iit in there lane in curves as long as you respect the power you have and watch the other fools on the road you can start with any kind of bike you want.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts