Sportbike World banner

which is faster

2K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  BusaPwr 
#1 ·
which bike is faster and has better performance with no mods. 2003 gsxr1000, 2003 r1, or a 2001 ducati 996. at least i believe the ducati is a 2001

#4 · (Edited)
According to SportRider magazine the 2004's go like this..

Zx 10 = 186mph top speed
R1 = 184
Gsxr 1k = 180
Cbr 1000 = 175

The Zx 10 had the fastest quarter time at 9.92

The Zx 10 also had the fastest roll on at
60-80(2.72)
80-100(2.67)

Is anyone else suprised at how well the zx 10 rode this year?

#5 ·
Tippmann said:
According to SportRider magazine the 2004's go like this..

Zx 10 = 186mph top speed
R1 = 184
Gsxr 1k = 180
Cbr 1000 = 175

The Zx 10 had the fastest quarter time at 9.92

The Zx 10 also had the fastest roll on at
60-80(2.72)
80-100(2.67)

Is anyone else suprised at how well the zx 10 rode this year?
I was under the impression the GSXR1000 had a better 60-80 number than the 10R. That's what my GSXR1000 riding friends are clinging to now that they are riding such pokey and slow machines...

130 RWHP is more than enough for me, thanks. Hardly ever use it anyway.

#6 ·
stoinkythepig said:
I was under the impression the GSXR1000 had a better 60-80 number than the 10R.

Upon looking back at the article, it did, but barely. And that's all it had going for it this year.

#9 ·
How would we know for not all of us have said makes & models of the '04 irons, besides who would be able to tell their personal experience in the handeling & performance along with speed on the public hwys? Like everyone else we can only go by what the m/c mags say & then who buys & reads all the different m/c mags?

Fact is who have had their 600 to 1000cc bikes up to full chat & long enough to see the needle up at the red line & know exactly how the bike was performing in those said incidents? My guess is not many of us if any.

Back in the days when 500cc was top dog (when 24 to 26hp was IT) then YES some of us knew which was the better.

#10 ·
Hammer, just give it time. You gotta realize these bikes just came out recently. Before long your precious "gixxer:rolleyes: " will be losing the the green machine.:eek:

And smitty, i was just posting the numbers of what was the fastest in test rides. I didn't think/assume anyone on here would be able to take them to that point.

#11 ·
Tippman...I think your forgeting 1 thing....there's likely to be a Ducati in the mix this time around...and also...what's with the rolling eyes ??? whatcha think that Mat can't hold his own..? And for the record, gixxers arent' " Precious, they are just good bikes..:twofinger

My last post was just a sarcastic thing....just in case ya didn't notice....:rolleyes: :laughing:

#12 ·
If your just judging by what you can buy stock:
Currently, per the Magazine tests its the new Kawasaki 1000.

If your going by what you can buy make modifications to and race:
I would have to defer to the World Superbike Championship instead of the AMA championship even though AMA racing is probably better this year. (Also WSB riders ususally beat AMA riders in the shared AMA/ WSB races at Laguna Seca). The Ducati 999 is current World champ.

If your going by fastest race bike around the track:
Its the current World Champ Honda RC211. Fastest bike around the track period. Holds just about every track record. Until proven otherwise at the end of this season. (Note that the GP Ducati has the fastest recorded trap speed but was not fastest around the track that it was recorded at)

Straight line for bike you can buy and modify:
A modified Hayabusa officially has the record at over 250mph.

If your going by being Realistic:
The top 1000cc bikes (Suzuki, Honda, Kawasaki, Yamaha, Ducati, Aprilia) are so close, its the rider that makes the difference.

#14 ·
Hammer 4 said:
and also...what's with the rolling eyes ???
I just hate the word "gixxer". It cut's through me like a knife. It's even worse when i hear someone say it in person. Ask spicerke, she's been tormenting me with it for years.:(

#15 ·
Originally posted by Tippmann
I just hate the word "gixxer".
I hear you on that one. However, for me, I only hate one pronunciation of it..."Jixxer." Yes, it is obviously the natural way to combine "GSXR" in a word...but it sounds retarded. It just sounds like a name for a hyper-active terrier.

If I hear it pronounced "Gick-ser," with a hard "G" as in "gimmick," I'm fine....that sounds better to me.

#16 ·
stoinkythepig said:
I was under the impression the GSXR1000 had a better 60-80 number than the 10R. That's what my GSXR1000 riding friends are clinging to now that they are riding such pokey and slow machines...

130 RWHP is more than enough for me, thanks. Hardly ever use it anyway.
[rant]Tell your friends that they're idiots and to grow up. Who cares if their still insanely fast motorcycle is not as fast as something that just came out. This getting back into motorcycles thing... a lot has changed. Seriously, if you're friends are running around saying stuff like that they must be deranged.

"Well, my bike is faster from 50 to 70 when on a 2% downhill grade at sea level!!!" "Mine is faster when in a 15 degree sweeper when leaned over 36 degrees with Sunoco gas!!!"

Get a girlfriend or something![/rant]:cussing;

#18 ·
V-EngineMan said:
[rant]Tell your friends that they're idiots and to grow up. Who cares if their still insanely fast motorcycle is not as fast as something that just came out. This getting back into motorcycles thing... a lot has changed. Seriously, if you're friends are running around saying stuff like that they must be deranged.

"Well, my bike is faster from 50 to 70 when on a 2% downhill grade at sea level!!!" "Mine is faster when in a 15 degree sweeper when leaned over 36 degrees with Sunoco gas!!!"

Get a girlfriend or something![/rant]:cussing;
Woah, calm down there tiger.

#19 ·
Yes I agree the "gixxer" bit is NOT to my liking & I always say GSXR with respect like I prefer Duke for Ducati rather then "duc" or "duck" that some use for Duke was used in the past before many were even in diapers. Also no short words like "guzzy" for Moto Guzzi, "bull" for Bultaco & so many others.

Yet Suzy fits well with Suzuki when not referign to a GSXR. Okay so I admit that I am probably the only one that uses "Kwacker" for Kawasaki rather then the word like "kaw" that sounds like "cow".

Don Smith that designed the Ossa Trials irons then went to Kawasaki to design their 250cc Trails picked up the slang of "kwacker" when he suggested the photobrapher get at such an angle to photograph this 250cc Trials & in that way he woud then have two Kwackers ---- for in his sense of Brit humor that would man the Trials bike & the duck waddling pretty close to it only the photographer did not have a decent sense of humor.

#20 ·
Hey Tipp:

GIXXER GIXXER GIXXER

MUSHROOM MUSHROOM! SNAAAAAAAAKE!

sorry, i got all caught up

Anyways, I think it's incredible that the zx10 appears to have more hp and speed than the hayabusa -- which obviously has 300cc advantage! Insane! It's also pretty incredible that these liter bikes are putting out the same hp as japanese sport cars and sedans in the $20k range that have 2 liter engines or bigger.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.