Sportbike World banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a good helmet that I can use for riding as well as at the dragstrip when I race my car. The only problem is when I have used a motorcycle helmet at the dragstrip when I'm in my car, they say that I need a "Snell" approved helmet for racing. But I need a "DOT" approved helmet for a bike, correct? Is there any helmet out there that is both "Snell" AND "DOT" approved? I just want to have ONE full-face helmet that I can use to ride with and at the dragstrip when I'm in my car. Can anyone help me out? Thanks a lot in advance.

Matt Blansett

·
Premium Member
4,763 Posts
Matt,

The Shoei's and Arai's are both Snell and D.O.T. approved.

Here are my favorites.

Shoei RF800 (Street - As it's light and very quiet)

Arai Quantum/F (Track - As it's lighter than the RF800 and vents the air better, but it is a little noisy.)

Just make sure if you decide to buy one online (where you can get them much cheaper) that you find one localy and try them on first. A medium Shoei and a medium Arai fit totally different.

·
Registered
167 Posts
DOT and Snell ratings are not mutually exclusive.

Legally, all helmets for street use must be DOT approved. In addition, some manufacturers seek Snell approval, too. The tests are slightly different. Any street motorcycle helmet should be DOT approved, so just look for one that is also Snell approved and you'll be covered all around. Lots of the better helmets have both approvals.

Arai and Shoei are generally identified as the top of the line. I'd put AGV up there, too. Deals can be had on AGV helmets by buying direct at agv.com, if you know what fits and know what you want.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool! Thanks a lot for the info guys. I think I know what I want for Christmas now:)

·
Registered
192 Posts
And you will still have a problem at the dragstrip. The fact of the matter is that there are more than two ratings.

DOT means that you can use it to ride on your bike. All quality helmets (Arai, Shoei, HJC, etc.) meet that standard. The Snell Foundation also has a voluntary standard that helmet makers use. The latest for motorcycles is the M95 one, though later this year the M2000 will be coming out with minor changes. The M95 will still be a good helmet.

For auto racing it is not valid. Snell put out an SA rating for auto helmets. It is different, not necessarily better. My older Bell helmet is SA95 rated and I used it at the old Bridgehampton Raceway when I took a driving school there in my BMW (since totaled, I am sorry to say). Any helmet not SA rated was not allowed to be used and you were not allowed on the track without a rated helmet.

Now if you would drag your bike at the raceway, an M rated helmet would do. But for cars you need the SA rating. They are not as comfortable for riding as the M rating and don't have all the comforts of the Shoei RF800, a helmet I just bought and enjoy a lot. But the SA rated ones are not made for that, so they really shouldn't be compared.

Check with the strip about it, but I am pretty sure they will want to see an SA rated helmet. The costs are also higher, by the way. Less people buy them; they cost more I guess.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well damn! I just wanted to NOT have to purchase two helmets. So basically there is no-way that there is ONE helmet available for both dragracing(in a car) and riding a bike on the street? I really don't care about the cost(within reason), I just didn't want to have to buy two different helmets. Thanks a lot for the help guys, I'll kepp looking around. How much longer until the M2000 rating comes out?

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
simpson may have a dot and sa approved helmet. check with the drag strip, they may allow a snell m series helmet. it'll probably be heavy and expensive.

the reality is, you can get a dot sticker for a snell sa-approved helmet. cops really look for the dot approval on biker lids, not protective ones. just mt .02

·
Registered
192 Posts
I rode with my Bell SA approved helmet for a while. It is bigger, less comfortable and not as easy to take care of (changing the shield is a major project) that either of my Shoei's. It is possible to use. As cbrf2boy says, if there is a DOT sticker on the helmet that should be enough.

Except here in New York where we also need a 3" "reflective strip" on the helmet. Who thinks up these things?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I guess the search for the perfect helmet is still on! lol Thanks for all the help guys!

·
Registered
367 Posts
M2000

I just bought the new HJC AC-10 helmet and it's Snell M2000 DOT approved. It has more insulation and ventilation than the previous HJC's. I paid $260.00 and it also has a removable/washable liner, too.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Re: M2000

His_Suzuki said:
I just bought the new HJC AC-10 helmet and it's Snell M2000 DOT approved.
So, the M2000 standard has been approved. Anyone know what the difference is between the M95 and M2000 standards? And to think I just bought a new RF-800 a couple of months ago...<sigh> ;)

G

·
Re: Re: M2000

rponiarski said:
His_Suzuki said:
I just bought the new HJC AC-10 helmet and it's Snell M2000 DOT approved.
So, the M2000 standard has been approved. Anyone know what the difference is between the M95 and M2000 standards? And to think I just bought a new RF-800 a couple of months ago...<sigh> ;)

Hey Richard,

If you have a few hours you can check out the differences here ..

http://www.smf.org/stds.html

·
Registered
192 Posts
Re: Re: Re: M2000

Squidwannabe said:
Hey Richard,

If you have a few hours you can check out the differences here ..

http://www.smf.org/stds.html [/B]
Thanks, but I have a few better things to do with my life! ;) Anyway, I just was curious if the new M2000 was that different from the M95 one, but I guess not. Not that I would have gone out and bought another helmet...but it is the Holiday Season!!! :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts