Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know black brings out any imperfections but what other colors hide imperections the best besides white? Is it all bright colors? I mainly want to know about red.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Hi All-

If I had to take a guess I would think metallic silver would be pretty forgiving of imperfections.

~ Blue Jays ~

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
How about gloss white? My mom had a minivan in gloss white with all kinds of dents and stuff in it and unless you got real close you couldn't tell.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As far as runs in paint will brighter colors show less than darker colors? My reason for asking is I had my bike un-professionally painted and they had runs in the primer that showed as soon as they shot the black paint so I was wondering if they would have been less noticable if I would have went with red or green. I gonna have it professionally painted next week because it looks horrible but I was just curious about the paint thing.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
You can have a shitty paint job look decent if you did a good primer job, but a good paint job will look shitty with a bad primer and prep job. Just gonna spend the time to sand and prep those pieces good. Can't rush it.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
JBaz said:
You can have a shitty paint job look decent if you did a good primer job, but a good paint job will look shitty with a bad primer and prep job. Just gonna spend the time to sand and prep those pieces good. Can't rush it.
You also need to make sure your paint is the right color:rolleyes:

It sounds like they made the paint way to thin. If your gunna have it professionally done then don't prime it yourself. You can prep, but most painters have there own primer they like and I had a few tell me they wouldn't touch it if I primed it. Good prep is a must were as a crappy paint can be cleaned up.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh, I wasnt planning on doing anything myself I was just curious. I'm gonna let the painter handle everything.

·
Registered
41 Posts
JBaz said:
A white bike should be left for the cops. I think white on a bike is pretty ugly.
i thought so too untill i saw the 06 cbr in white

damnit now that i read it, it says light silver metalic...looks white enough i guess

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
I would call that an off white or a white with a silver metal flake in it, but none the less that color shouldn't show flaws easily. This is the white I was talking about.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
What you really need is to or more contrasting colors so you and the bike will be more visible. The (solid white) honda looks like it'd be hard to see in some conditions. According the the HURT report:

http://sbw.sportbikes.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=59423&highlight=hurt

"7. The failure of motorists to detect and recognize motorcycles in traffic is the predominating cause of motorcycle accidents. The driver of the other vehicle involved in collision with the motorcycle did not see the motorcycle before the collision, or did not see the motorcycle until too late to avoid the collision"

I personally like the red and white and DID? headlight combo.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So far I've narrowed my colors down to red (becuase its one of my favorites), yamaha blue/purple (because I havnt seen a 636 in that color), or lime green.

I don't know about the drivers being able to see bright colors though. The reason why I have to get my bike painted in the first place is because I got hit my a hit and run driver who pulled out of a parking spot
and "didn't see me". My bike was Pearl Blazing Orange and it was VERY bright but nowadays peopple are just too stupid I can have red and blue stobe lights and bet someone still says they couldn't see me.

·
Registered
91 Posts
White, Yellow, Silver, Lime Green all hide flaws and imperfections well. Glossy solid colors like Black, Dark Red, Purple, Blue show imperfections.

Like said before it is all in the surface prep and primer, then wet sanding and using rubbing compound to make a deep shiny perfect surface...

·
Registered
295 Posts
how is orange on hiding these imperfections i eventually want to own a orange bike, but if orange is anything like black has been to me then i will need to pick another color

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
SkinnyJ said:
how is orange on hiding these imperfections i eventually want to own a orange bike, but if orange is anything like black has been to me then i will need to pick another color
Before my bike was hit it was Pearl Orange and I didn't really notice any scratches on it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
SepiasSoul said:
I would call that an off white or a white with a silver metal flake in it, but none the less that color shouldn't show flaws easily. This is the white I was talking about.
I like that white. I've narrowed my choices down to silver, white and lime green.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts