Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which bike would you think would be better for me? I was looking at Ninja250, 500, and 650? I've never even rode a dirt bike before but I do plan on taking some classes before I buy my bike. A lot of my friends have been giving me hell about thinking about buying the 2008 or 2009 Ninja 250 saying its to weak. What do you guys think and do you have any other recomendations?

·
Strength and Honor
6,143 Posts
The only points I'd make on top of those in the stickies is that if you don't think you'll be able to deal with their harrassment for a year or two, or don't think you'll ride it often because of that harassment, then you should either drop the idea of riding, find new friends, or just ride by yourself or with a different group. Peer pressure certainly is harder to deal with when you're under 20 but if you're older than that, I'd recommend giving them this: :finger:

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Kanwisch has some great advice there!

You should be fine with either a Ninja 500R or a 650R. Don't let your "friends" talk you into a 600 supersport (or bigger) bike though.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright I'll probally just get the 250 since it is cheaper then the 500 and I don't want to lay down something exspensive haha. Thanks for all the advice it really helped.

·
Registered
39 Posts
No matter what you get, you will lay it down/drop it. It would be much less expensive to find a used bike in the same cc range and get it. Nothing hurts more than riding you brand new shiny freshly wax bike and then getting road rash on it. It will happen, always dress for the accident. I know but I am just going to the corner market I don't need my jacket. When a dog darts in front of you and under your wheel. You slide down the road only at 25 mph but with a t-shirt on. Ouch that's gonna leave a mark.

So if you want to start on a brand new shiny bike, that is fine but the repair bills are pricey.

Always wear your gear, it will save your life. I had a get off at a mere 45 mph and it put a 6 1/2 inch gaping crack in my helmet. I was knocked unconscious and in a coma for 2 days. I am still here and able to tell you about it because my gear did it's job. Ran over an opossum laid over in a curve, low-sided and went sliding. Not a mark one on me, leather gloves, boots and jacket had some small scratches but were still good.

Why am I ranting about this? Well, to tell you the truth, I want to help motorcyclist stop getting hurt and killed when most of the time a little safety gear would have prevented most if not all the injuries.

Sorry for the rant.

Protect yourself, no one else will.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No... Thank you thank you. I'll take all the advice I can get but when I see something I like I have to have it and I like new and shiney toys haha. I know I will lay it down one day but I'm willing to pay the price to get it fixed. Thanks for the safety advice. I have a few friends who ride and keep telling me that same thing. Thanks bro.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
No... Thank you thank you. I'll take all the advice I can get but when I see something I like I have to have it and I like new and shiney toys haha. I know I will lay it down one day but I'm willing to pay the price to get it fixed. Thanks for the safety advice. I have a few friends who ride and keep telling me that same thing. Thanks bro.
Get yourself a set of $100 frame sliders for the shiny new toy and save yourself $1000+ later. :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I checked out frame sliders and it looks like a great idea. I will def. purchase that when I get the bike. Also thanks for all the great advice guys. I didn't actaully think you guys would take the time to reply. A lot of forums wouldn't have. I'm glad I choose this one to be apart of. You were all very friendly and helpful. Hope I can be apart of this family for a long long time.

·
Strength and Honor
6,143 Posts
Its a part of the nature here. Not lots and lots of threads, but the responses to questions are likely to be direct and in the vast majority of circumstances, meaningful.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Its a part of the nature here. Not lots and lots of threads, but the responses to questions are likely to be direct and in the vast majority of circumstances, meaningful.
+1 This is the right place to be if you're looking for advice. Glad to have you on board. :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for checking up on me lol. Im going to get a 250 for the first year or two... I'm waiting until about January to get it though. I'm going to pay for it in cash all up front that way I can probally get a better deal. I havn't started saving yet. Its a pretty inexspensive bike though so I might actaully have enough for it before January but thats just my target goal. Thanks bro.

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
Great to hear that a) you've not lost interst and b) that you're going about things sensibly.

Have you taken the MSF yet? Don't forget to buy your gear BEFORE getting the bike. That way, you've got no excuses for not wearing it.

Rubber-side-down (eventually). :thumbs2:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm taking classes probally right before I buy the bike. Im just waiting so that way I can get trained right before I get it. Ohh and of course I'm getting my gear first. Im just researching a lot and I already have the money saved for classes and gear. I just want to wait until its actaully time to ride but I will get it before of course.

·
Strength and Honor
6,143 Posts
I'm taking classes probally right before I buy the bike. Im just waiting so that way I can get trained right before I get it. Ohh and of course I'm getting my gear first. Im just researching a lot and I already have the money saved for classes and gear. I just want to wait until its actaully time to ride but I will get it before of course.
Prudent, wise approach. Here's a bit o' wisdom: Don't buy the gear until you buy the bike, and then use the gear purchase as a leverage point for getting a package deal. Most dealerships make little to nothing on new bikes, so they'd be more happy about cutting you substantial discounts on a lid, jacket, gloves, boots, and pants than on cutting down the price. You can bring in online prices for the brand the dealer carries so you know what rates you should be getting, minimally.

Hope you'll hang about, I'd personally like to hear how the whole experience goes for you.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah but where Im taking classes makes you bring your own gear so I actaully have to buy it before I get my bike. It kinda sucks but I want to make sure I can ride before I buy the bike.

·
Strength and Honor
6,143 Posts
Like a helmet? I presume its not an MSF course then. I wore a leather bomber jacket, work boots, and some work gloves that fit the requirements for my MSF waaaay back before I had a bike. Didn't seem prudent to invest in gear for something I either might have been terrible at or that I didn't like. You might consider borrowing too.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts