Sportbike World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you all know I have been considering a beemer for a while now. I am specifically looking for something more relaxed (read: slower)and more commutable than my Ducati. This would be a second bike, never ever sell a Ducati.
My commute is now 74 miles each way and I'd like to keep my license. The 3 models that appeal to me are the R1150R, the R1100S, and the R1200C. I have basically eliminated the R1100S as I already have a competent sportbike. So it's down to 2.
I was recently going over the specs for both models and some things just don't add up.
The R makes the same torque as the 1200c but 20 more HP, yet costs almost 5000 dollars less.
WTF? Also the R uses standard mid level sportbike tire sizes ensuring a plethora of choices when it's time to change, the C uses a strange 15" rear. I figure there must be something special about the 1200C as they seem to sell very well. I want to know what it is. Please correct me on any mistakes as I obviously have limited knowledge of cruisers. This is all hugely experimental for me as I am not at all sure that the voices in my head will let me go slowly on whatever I get.
BTW please don't say "just get an ST2" b/c if I did I know I would just ride it at 100+ the way I do my current duck.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Longevity: 300000+ mile life span.
Mechanical simplicity: No radiator, no carbs, no chain.
Ease of maintenance: It's all right there in the open.
Comfort.
Reliability.

What other bike fits this criteria Pete?

Squid,
The lil thumper is not as appealing due to its size. I really want this bike to be roomy and passenger friendly.

P

·
0 Posts
lucifer said:
Longevity: 300000+ mile life span.
Mechanical simplicity: No radiator, no carbs, no chain.
Ease of maintenance: It's all right there in the open.
Comfort.
Reliability.

What other bike fits this criteria Pete?

That little smilie face meant that I was only kidding.

(NOTE TO SELF: Lucifer is sometimes humor-challenged.) :D

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry I've been having a weird day at work. I was really just curious to see if you had another suggestion. I was considering a moto guzzi but I just don't know about reliability.

P

·
0 Posts
Lucifer, no problem. I'm not a big BMW motorcycle fan, but only because I don't like the way they look. Except for the weight factor on their line of "adventure" bikes (and the fact that I can't keep up with all the RG this and GS that monikers), their ain't a whole lotta bad things you can say about BMWs.

I have suggestions, but they were all quickly dismissed by your comment, "I'd like to keep my license." :)

S

·
0 Posts
lucifer said:
Squid,
The lil thumper is not as appealing due to its size. I really want this bike to be roomy and passenger friendly.
Have you ever driven one ? Really, 2 up it's not so bad. It's more comfy than your 900ss.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Honestly no but I have ridden my dads SR500 and that degree of vibration is not exactly what I am looking for. Maybe I'll test ride it though just to be sure.:cool:

·
Registered
130 Posts
I had a R1100R, and you can see my comments on the bike under the BMW section in the forum. I don't think I'd buy another one. It wasn't bad, just annoying. Also, review the other BMW forum websites about these bikes before you buy. Personally, I'd get a ride from one of the big four Japanese manufacturers.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts