Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
675 Posts
I went with the zx10r solar yellow. I like the the new style and the slight changes to update its useability. I was seriously considering the Gixxer but did not feel comfortable going with a new one because I have a strong feeling that next year it will be on a new platform. I am very happy with my deciditon.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
06 R1! Looks beautiful, 5 valves, reputation for handling (like my Maicos), price from Ohio could not be beat, I recommend Honda East Toledo, and lately because everywhere I look the streets are full of Suzukis. Add ons, fender eliminator, *sliders, *flush mount front signals. * not pictured.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,820 Posts
As far as rideability goes of the big 4 for 2006, which can you wick up the throttle all the way in 1st or 2nd gear without flipping? I heard impossible to do so with the ZX-10R. All that gobs of power means nothing if you can't use most of it to break the law. As a rider of middleweights, I like how I could switch on or off the power at will, it's a little different with literbikes right? :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
675 Posts
Z_Fanatic said:
As far as rideability goes of the big 4 for 2006, which can you wick up the throttle all the way in 1st or 2nd gear without flipping? I heard impossible to do so with the ZX-10R. All that gobs of power means nothing if you can't use most of it to break the law. As a rider of middleweights, I like how I could switch on or off the power at will, it's a little different with literbikes right? :D
It's not impossible on the 10. Just the same as the other 3 you need to use care. The cbr this year is geared differently that was causing testers in sportbike mag needing to lower the rpm's on the launch for the 1/4 mi test.

Then new 06, 10r is a bit less jumpy in the front end on hard accel.

I will get pic's up soon.
Got the Akra exhaust on last week.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
It all matters on the definition of "Wick up" It all matters on the definition of "Wick up." I totally cracked the throttle WFO at a rolling start and after a split second of typical 4 stoke lag my 06 R1 stood straight up, no clutch involved. On a slower roll on of the throttle my bike starts a 6" wheelie at about 10k and the world starts going by real fast no sign of looping. So it all depends on "Wicking up"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,820 Posts
Yeah, my definition - I usually go from 10-20 mph roll on after clutch is engaged and then full throttle roll as fast as human hand allows to twist, hehe. Can your put your weight over front and keep it down at 1st or 2nd? What's highest gears these literbikes are susceptible to power wheelies?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
675 Posts
on the new 10r
You can roll on the throttle very quickly and keep the front on or very close to the ground. But just wacking it open is not a good idea unless you want to check how clear the sky is without looking up.
I found that 20-30mph I car roll on the throttle quite fast in 1st.
2nd you can wack the throttle wide open from 75mph and keep the front down if your crouched down and slid up all the way on the seat. If you slide back on the seat and wack it your in the sky again.

You can roll on the throttle in any gear quit fast on the 06 without much to worry about, but to just wack it open as fast as you can is not a great idea in 1st gear.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,820 Posts
Sounds well-behaved than all the rumors I hear about being uncontrollable. Do you guys use clutchless upshift all the time, or clutch most of the time, which do you prefer most? Because, I found clutchless to be a little clunky for me, I stick to clutch most. But I notice that during WOT on from stop to redline, sometimes I blip a little too much when shifting to 2nd and rolling on, and it's probably an unintentional or inattentional error. When that happens, either I pull back the clutch or once clutch engaged, I can feel the bike go really light. I wonder how bad this might translate on a literbike on the high revs? Low-mid revs shouldn't be a problem.

You said from 75 mph on in 2nd, it's possible to keep the front down, but what happens if you roll on 2nd from 20 mph? Is it that torque that gets it up on literbikes or high revs power?

On the 10R, is it true it will powerwheelie on 6th?

Sorry for all the questions, but seeing literbikes gets me drooling. Not that all the power can be used, but knowing it's there is.... soothing?? :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Have nothing much to say about last post. If just going around in town I use the clutch. Thought I would post latest picture. Graves pipes and power commander coming next week. Let you know then when and where the front end comes up.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,820 Posts
That's a damn fine bike, though I have to say I am not a fan of those two balls on the back. I usually see them on cars, pink or blue, and usually makes me wanna crush them til they burst :p. But to each his own, great bike.:thumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
675 Posts
Z_Fanatic said:
Sounds well-behaved than all the rumors I hear about being uncontrollable. Do you guys use clutchless upshift all the time, or clutch most of the time, which do you prefer most? Because, I found clutchless to be a little clunky for me, I stick to clutch most. But I notice that during WOT on from stop to redline, sometimes I blip a little too much when shifting to 2nd and rolling on, and it's probably an unintentional or inattentional error. When that happens, either I pull back the clutch or once clutch engaged, I can feel the bike go really light. I wonder how bad this might translate on a literbike on the high revs? Low-mid revs shouldn't be a problem.

You said from 75 mph on in 2nd, it's possible to keep the front down, but what happens if you roll on 2nd from 20 mph? Is it that torque that gets it up on literbikes or high revs power?

On the 10R, is it true it will powerwheelie on 6th?

Sorry for all the questions, but seeing literbikes gets me drooling. Not that all the power can be used, but knowing it's there is.... soothing?? :D
Use the clutch it will pay off in the long run. Now and then when racing buddys I do not use it but I just put tension on the shifter quickly let off the throttle "it shifts" then WOT again.

If you roll on the throttle in any gear the front can/will stay down unless your leaning back or your not rolling it on but wacking it open but that's a different story.

As far as power wheelie in 6th... haven't tried it and don't want to... I am sure if you bounce the hell out of it or get on the back pegs anything is possible. I would dare say you would need to be in excess of 140mph. Not a great speed for a p-pp-ppp-powerwheelie.....

Learn how to do them right by clutching it up. Then you can wheelie almost any bike at almost any speed. Not to say powerwheelies aren't fun or right. Watch all the people who do wheelies for a living stunt teams, professional riders, they will clutch up 99.9% of em.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
75 Posts
I chose the Gixxer this year basically because when I first sat on it I felt as though I had just put on a fine pair of "Italian racing gloves":D :D

I've never sat on a bike that felt so right for me! The big problem was color choice. I almost baught the grey one but Red has always been my favorite color so here is my baby!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
233 Posts
xtreme1k said:
I chose the Gixxer this year basically because when I first sat on it I felt as though I had just put on a fine pair of "Italian racing gloves":D :D

I've never sat on a bike that felt so right for me! The big problem was color choice. I almost baught the grey one but Red has always been my favorite color so here is my baby!
Damn, that's a sweet looking bike!:drool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
699 Posts
I actually choose my 2003 R1 over a 2005 R1. But, I only paid $7500 for it. And it only had 3000 miles on it when I bought it. I would never trade my R1 for another bike.
 

Attachments

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Top