Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 381 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm moving off to college early this August. I'm buying myself a bike as a graduation present. In my arguements with my parents about them letting me get it, my dad did bring up a good point. Where could I keep it while I am living in the dorms? There's no garage so that's out of the question. Is it ok to keep it outside in the parking lot? or will the sun damage the paint?

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
Welcome :cheers:

The elements will eventually do some damage to your bike. If I were you, I'd try to budget for a secure storage unit (something small, but in a locked facility). Theft is very common with sportbikes.

·
Strength and Honor
6,144 Posts
Welcome :cheers:

Getting a cover for your bike would be a good idea, most university housing allows for some parking pass purchases; look into it. And don't buy a new bike because that draws thieves nicely and is a bad starter anyway. See New Rider stickie threads for the rest of the conventional wisdom.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah, I was worried you'd say that. I'd really like to NOT have my bike stolen. Maybe I should just wait till I move into an apartment?

oh yeah, and ZX6R, yeah I do a little shooting haha. Just got my savage to group under a half inch at 100 yards. I know that was completely unrelated but I thought I'd throw that in since you mentioned it first haha.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's a Savage 12FV, .223, standard mounts, Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14x scope, stock is a Boyd's thumbhole laminate I finished myself, and ammo is all handloads.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Absolutely not! I'm using Winchester and Hornady brass, 24.5 grains of Varget, CCI primers, and 69 grain Sierra Matchkings and 68 grain Hornady BTHP Match bullets (I found these to be cheaper and just as good as Matchkings).

Got a recipe for your .308?

·
Registered
7,448 Posts
...I'm using Winchester and Hornady brass, 24.5 grains of Varget, CCI primers, and 69 grain Sierra Matchkings and 68 grain Hornady BTHP Match bullets...
Put all of this info on a sticker on your bike. You'll be able to park it anywhere, anytime, with the key in it. :laughing:

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Absolutely not! I'm using Winchester and Hornady brass, 24.5 grains of Varget, CCI primers, and 69 grain Sierra Matchkings and 68 grain Hornady BTHP Match bullets (I found these to be cheaper and just as good as Matchkings).

Got a recipe for your .308?

I stick to the M118LR specs. Black hills cases, 175gr hpbt sierra match kings, 210m primer. 43.2gr RE15 powder will get me right around 3/4MOA, and 43.0gr IMR-4895 will get me just a hair above 1/2 MOA. My shooting is good enough, and the ammo seems to be working outstanding. I'm still using the POS factory stock, too. It is so flimsy that if I am shooting from a bench on a bipod, the stock actually contacts the barrel. Once I replace the stock (or fiberglass bed it... I haven't decided yet. Probably replace though), I should be sub 1/2 MOA. I don't know by how much though. I've never shot groups below 1/2, so I don't know whether or not my shooting will be the next bottleneck.

If you aren't too opposed to trying new things, you should check out Hornady V-Max 55gr. ammo. My friend has a 12fv, and his rifle LOVES that ammo. We've tried a few different things, but I have yet to find a rifle with a 1:9 twist (that is what the 12FV has) that likes anything over 62gr.

Even for my custom-built AR15 Varmint, which has a 24" Heavy Bbl with a 1:8 twist, nothing above 62gr will retain the accuracy.

It is definitely something to look into, since you are still working around the 1moa area. The 12fv is definitely good for 3/4 from the factory.

And don't worry about lighter bullets. There were some videos floating around a little while back... a guy with a DPMS LR AR15 was shooting 11" targets at 680 yards, and he was using 62gr bullets. He took that AR all the way out to (I think I remember correctly) 830 or 930 yards, but I can't remember what he used in that recipe.

Actually, I'll try to dig up those vids. It may give you some ideas.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Google and youtube turned up nothing... and it was posted on youtube when I saw it. I am trying to search through my posts on TFL... I know I posted it there before. My ADD is kicking in bad, though. I'll have to come back to this search project later. Like tomorrow. :eek: Sorry.

·
Strength and Honor
6,144 Posts
yeah, I was worried you'd say that. I'd really like to NOT have my bike stolen. Maybe I should just wait till I move into an apartment?
I think that greatly depends on the university environment. If its urban then I'd agree with you. If its out in the country, you may be just fine. As I noted, a proper starter, used bike under a cover is unlikely to draw thieves. They are almost exclusively interested in supersports, which should not be on your list of considerations.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The University is fairly rural. It's a quiet little college town and crime isn't too bad. I'm going to look more into it though. My parents have become more and more opposed to the idea of me owning one. I guess I'll just have to buy it anyway haha.

As for the videos ZX6R, I've seen both of them a number of times. I might give those Hornady's a try. Oh and I strongly recommend the boyd's stock. You have to do a little work and I bedded mine and it was a fairly simple process. Just time consuming. I've got pictures if you'd like to see the final product of how yours could look.

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
My Savage 300Win Mag has a Choate stock on it. Solid, heavy and a great feel, and Harris bipods fit on there perfect.

But then again, I don't know anything about shooting.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
My Savage 300Win Mag has a Choate stock on it. Solid, heavy and a great feel, and Harris bipods fit on there perfect.

But then again, I don't know anything about shooting.

lmao I never said that. ;) I just like giving you shit about your phrasing. "300 yard long range shooting" is insanely funny to those of us who don't have to worry about houses. Personally, the term long range means anything 700 yards or more. But that's just me. A lot of the competitors I know say that nothing under 1,000 yards is "long range".

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
As for the videos ZX6R, I've seen both of them a number of times. I might give those Hornady's a try. Oh and I strongly recommend the boyd's stock. You have to do a little work and I bedded mine and it was a fairly simple process. Just time consuming. I've got pictures if you'd like to see the final product of how yours could look.

I'd dearly love to see some pictures.

When it comes to stocks, I tend to be pretty picky. For this particular rifle, I wanted to avoid thumbhole stocks. I wanted to keep the "original" look without the "original" dogshit feel.

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
lmao I never said that. ;) I just like giving you shit about your phrasing. "300 yard long range shooting" is insanely funny to those of us who don't have to worry about houses. Personally, the term long range means anything 700 yards or more. But that's just me. A lot of the competitors I know say that nothing under 1,000 yards is "long range".
If I had that much range, I'd gladly put it to use, trust me.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
If I had that much range, I'd gladly put it to use, trust me.
oh, I know man.

FWIW the offer stands for you to come shooting with me if you ever feel like venturing to "canada".

If you flew, you can even land right at Augusta Municipal. It's 15 min from my house. Which reminds me... I have a ton of questions for you about getting my cert. I'll PM you later on.

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
If you flew, you can even land right at Augusta Municipal. It's 15 min from my house. Which reminds me... I have a ton of questions for you about getting my cert. I'll PM you later on.
Ok, if I can get current again, and find a decent rental rate, that could be a possibility.

And PM away. Finally sounds like something I know about :thumbs2:

1 - 20 of 381 Posts