Sportbike World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In some videos I watch, I see people only pulling the clutch in with 1 or 2 fingers. while the rest is under the clutch onto the bar. is there a purpose for that? or is that just how some people ride? I would think if you did that, you could squish/crush your fingers between the bar and clutch lever. wouldnt that hurt heh?

·
Registered
51 Posts
its prob for cumfort and also so that they can keep hold of bars when rideing pritty fast

also u sould not crush fingers as onces u get used to useing ur clouch sameas in a car u will know how far to pull untill it disengages so u dont have to pull it fully to the bars for it to disengade so means for faster gear changes and jsut easyer rideing

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
All I have ever used is two fingers for the clutch & front brake levers, bar back in '46 till '54 with heavy to operate clutch & days of drum brakes. No need for all four fingers to pull in the clutch or brake levers.

·
Premium Member
4,823 Posts
No reason in particular. I do it for convenience and comfort. I do the same with the brake lever.

·
Registered
31 Posts
nice

after reading this thread about a week ago I've tried riding that way. I feel more in control because I don't have to fumble around the handle bars. Plus, my hand position is adusted so it keeps me aware of how much (or little) gas I really need to give the ol' girl.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
clutches can be set up for easy pull, and depending on your preference, it's no biggy to even pull with 1 finger all day long. I prefer to pull with three because it happens naturally, using 2 fingers might require little more attention. I use two to pull, and third one for leverage or no use. and all of this is even easier because you only pull in the clutch for 1/4 of the travel to shift, rest of it isn't necessary and waste of time. for brake, i use 2 fingers and sometimes 1.

·
Registered
31 Posts
sounds good

but I'm not up to the level or confidence to start adjusting my bike yet. I'm still getting used to the set up I got. A friend of mine who rides and fixes em' is comming over this weekend so I may get him to show me. I'll keep your advice in mind though...thanks!

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
I have never adjusted a darn thing on most of my bikes almost since '70s bar a minor thing or angle for especially my left ankle cannot handle a regular gear change lever position. True back in the late 40s & late 60s we really suffered.

When it came to bikes I was to test for a m/c mag (that was from sometime in the 50s to mid '70s) I left the control levers 100% stock, bar the gear change lever as mentioned above, & would put a month or so on each bike.

Also as a m/c dealer/mechanic I accepted the way the customer had the foot & hand controls. My one advantage is I have long hands & fingers ,so Ex-Large in gloves, though not powerful ones & in the latter I work with strengthing up my hands & fingers.

Like to-day was a short run, of five hrs, to me due to this being a long week-end from Saturday till end of Monday, & I stay clear of them, though bar Sunday I have been riding basically the last three weeks around 5 to 7 hrs each day in these mtn roads. My hands & body are not tired yet I am 75 yrs of age with this being my 59th year of riding.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts