Sportbike World banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been wondering lately when you know you moved from rookie to 'not a rookie' and so-on.

I have been riding in the dirt since about 7 years old. Then I stopped at my teens due to circumstances beyond me. I started on the street in 92' and rode for two years before loosing my license due to a bad case of the squids and then I got back on in October of 99. ~~ SO, after crashing right away, I realized -"Damn, Im a rookie and didnt know it!"

Now, Im really starting to feel alot better on my bike, but Im still apprehensive alot.

Am I STILL a rookie? I cant hit the darn pegs yet even though I've been reeeeeally trying on the freeway on-ramps! :rolleyes: and I still have about a 1/4" of untouched tread on both sides of the rear tire. :(

I really gotta go to track school.

~~~Input??

------------------
Kyle J.-
email:[email protected]

"Reflect upon your present blessings, of which every man has many -- not on your past misfortunes, of which all men have some."
-- Charles Dickens

·
Registered
873 Posts
Hey Kyle,

You sound like me.... i started riding in '92 and rode almost everyday for 2-1/2 years, i was kinda squidly, but after the 2-1/2 years i KNOW i was no longer a rookie, i think i had gotten to be a VERY talented rider.. but then i sold the bike and didnt ride again until this past january.

Well, needless to say, i lost alot of my old skills... although i dont think i fall into the squid category anymore (a good thing) i am working on redeveloping all the confidence and getting my bike dialed in. I had put more than 32,000 miles on my old bike and knew it inside and out, i could feel every nuance of feedback and knew exactly what it was doing. My new bike isnt so intimate with my senses yet. its tricky.

I think YOU will know when you are no longer a rookie. There is a point (honest point) you will get to when you can compare your skills to what they were when you began riding and you will KNOW the difference. You may already be there.

I dont consider myself a rookie anymore, simply because i have made almost all the rookie mistakes and consistently avoid them now. Im more aware. I may not be the absolute fastest rider, but i consciously try to be a wise rider. Yet not "over" cautious to the point of being slow.

I think thats what matters.

------------------
Fear Green.

[This message has been edited by GreenNinja (edited September 24, 2000).]

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
You're both rookies. Me too. :D :p

Seriously though, I think it is just something that comes with time and it's a different amount for everyone. I still feel like a rookie. ;) My opinion is that, if you ever feel like you have stopped learning on a sportbike then you need to sell it because you are going to die soon. :)

I may be a rookie but I have a really fast bike with the best tires and I'm gonna have stainless brake lines then a new Power Commander computer thingy then new exhaust, Then I can do wheelies. So come spring I'm going to need some help from you people with the wheelies. :rolleyes:

------------------
John

"If Harley made an airplane... would you fly in it?"

·
Registered
68 Posts
Being a rookie isn't so bad. Every time I start to think I've got this stuff mastered I end up on my ass. Over confidence hurts.

Life has a way of putting back in our place.

Mike

------------------
A man's got to know his limitations

·
Registered
873 Posts
I agree on that stuff too.. But thats a different angle on the question. No one ever stops learning, but the term "rookie" i think kinda means not having learned ANYTHING, to the point of being somewhat unsafe and overly skittish. Or maybe excessively cautious to the point of being a slug on two wheels.

ya think?

------------------
Fear Green.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey thanks Fellas! Great input.

I have demised that I am NOT a rookie, rather I am an amateur at this point. :) I have learned what rookie mistakes not to make (sometimes the hard way) and I conciously avoid them now.

I can look back and say -ya, I’m a hell of a lot better than I was and I have gained a ton of confidence, but as Mike said very correctly, 'Overconfidence Hurts' and kills. I think that fact is always having too much impact in the back of my mind so I've gotta figure out where the line is between good solid confidence and foolishness.

I know what you mean Greenninja, about knowing your bike intimately. I have gained a little bit of that and its pretty cool when you can accurately predict how your bike will respond to a situation/ input. I guess going on long rides for pleasure helps with that kinda stuff eh?

Thanks again guys, great discussion. :)

------------------
Kyle J.-
email:[email protected]

"Reflect upon your present blessings, of which every man has many -- not on your past misfortunes, of which all men have some."
-- Charles Dickens

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Aril, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by riverrunner_2000:
I have learned what rookie mistakes not to make (sometimes the hard way) and I conciously avoid them now.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You'll KNOW you're not an amateur anymore when you don't have to consciously avoid things. They'll become second-nature. I'm still working on achieving that, but once I do it'll make riding so much more enjoyable.

------------------
~Nick
Hey squid, wanna race? No, not down that straight road...we're gonna hit the twisties. Hey, where ya' goin'?

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
I like amateur... rookie is just easier to spell. ;)

------------------
John

"If Harley made an airplane... would you fly in it?"

·
Registered
192 Posts
I started riding way back when, got to a point that I thought I was "good", then stopped for a decade or so. Got back on and made those rookie mistakes all over again and have just begun to sometimes feel that feeling that I know what I am doing. Kind of like when you get in a groove with the bike and you know the next move will be just right. Doesn't happen often yet, but I keep on trying...

------------------
Richard M. Poniarski
'00 Kawasaki ZR750F2, a.k.a. ZR-7
AMA #674623
NY S666C
ZR7OA #3

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
Kyle, Interesting question to ask - precarious
question to answer.

I don't believe that there is a definitive
point in which someone can say to you that
you are no longer a rookie. I would have to
say that this is a feeling within yourself.
I would say that it is a feeling of being
generally well balanced on the bike in terms
of your riding abilities, knowing your limits
at the time and not over focusing on them.

How's this - When you can come home regualarly
and say I kicked ass today without scaring
myself, you have graduated.

How's that for quality BS? :D

Chris

------------------
I really should be working...

G

·
Posted By Y2k_Chris_R1 <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Aril, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>I would say that it is a feeling of being
generally well balanced on the bike in terms
of your riding abilities, knowing your limits
at the time and not over focusing on them.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

WELL SAID!!!!!

And Kyle Don't worry if you can't scrape the pegs like me ;)

If you really wan't to scrape the pegs, Go to racing school...

------------------
Watch out where those Huskies go , Don't you eat that yellow snow ....

Adam

·
Registered
873 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Squidwannabe:
...And Kyle Don't worry if you can't scrape the pegs like me...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you want to scrape the pegs like Adam, go to the hardware store and get a big rat tail file. When you get home take about 5 mins and remove about 1/4" of material off the pegs untill it looks just right.

------------------
Fear Green.

G

·
Posted By Greeny <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>If you want to scrape the pegs like Adam, go to the hardware store and get a big rat tail file. When you get home take about 5 mins and remove about 1/4" of material off the pegs untill it looks just right.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't forget to brag about being a highly skilled racer, and when someone challenges you complain about headaches, fatigue, illness or soreness , Don't ever let them see you ride !! :D :D

------------------
Watch out where those Huskies go , Don't you eat that yellow snow ....

Adam

[This message has been edited by Squidwannabe (edited September 25, 2000).]

·
Registered
987 Posts
For street riders, you know you've graduated when someone in a car tries to run over you, but you don't get scared because you've foreseen his actions and left yourself an escape route without really thinking about it, and your skills are more than adequate to get you out of almost anything.
You don't get mad because this is about the thousandth time that someone in a car has almost ran you over, and you realized awhile back that if you got mad every time it happened, you'd get mad just about every time you saddled up.

------------------

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
You will no longer be a rookie when you win your first championship. So don't worry, you will be one for a while squidly.. I mean fellow rookie.

------------------
If if if....
If a frog had wings, he wouldn't bump his ass every time he jumps!

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Every year I get more comfortable and think "man, I'm a lot better than I used to be." I think part of knowing you're not a rookie is knowing that any moron can fly down a straight stretch at 150 mph but it takes skill to hold a smooth line through a curve.

------------------
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Damn Ninja,you beat me to it.I wanted to accuse Squid of filing down his pegs. Oh well
maybe next time.LOL Squid!

------------------
Steven G. Knecht
1991 VFR750F
1989 RX-7 GTU

1 - 17 of 17 Posts