Sportbike World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son rides a Suzuki GSF 500. He is a great rider.He wants to start to stunt on it but I dont think the bike can handle it. Am I right or am I being over protective. I know he has the skill. But I am not so sure about the bike.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,904 Posts
You can stunt with any bike. All you need is to learn how to balance the bike. My friend can do wheelies and hold them on scooters. It prolly would be easier if you changed out the sprockets for added low end torque to pick up the front end easier. And the 500 GS are light bikes.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,449 Posts
JBaz said:
And the 500 GS are light bikes.
40+ lbs heavier than the Gixxer, I wouldn't call it light. My friend got one, and I was teaching her how to ride it which involved me riding it from the dealership, as well as to & from her house to the fairgrounds where we rode. I will say that having put 50 miles on the bike, I was more comfortable riding it with a passenger on the back than I ever was my '92 F2. And the steering is surprisingly effortless, though almost to an annoying level. However, the bike felt like it had nothing to offer as far as power necessary for stunting. But I don't stunt. :2cents:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
206 Posts
snakesht said:
40+ lbs heavier than the Gixxer, I wouldn't call it light.
It's lighter than my bike.

Originally posted by snakesht However, the bike felt like it had nothing to offer as far as power necessary for stunting. But I don't stunt. :2cents:
Any bike can be stunted. I have wheelied mini bikes.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,449 Posts
colin409 said:
It's lighter than my bike.



Any bike can be stunted. I have wheelied mini bikes.
True, your bike weighs in at a little under 440# dry. But it also has 110hp, 71 ft/lb. Not sure what the GS makes, but I doubt it's the same.

I have wheelied 4X4 honda 600 quads that weigh about as much as a Volvo. It's all about putting some effort into it. I'm not saying that a GS500 can't be a stunting bike. I actually think it would be a good bike to start stunting on, since it's a lot more forgiving than any race replica you can find these days. In all honesty, I would have a harder time pulling up the front on an '05 GS than I would my first bike, a '92 CBR 600 which never ran right since before I bought it.

But I'm not here to argue, I'm just saying, in terms of power-to-weight, I feel the GSF500 isn't the greatest, but for someone who is starting in the stunt scene, that might be a good thing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
206 Posts
snakesht said:
But I'm not here to argue, I'm just saying, in terms of power-to-weight, I feel the GSF500 isn't the greatest, but for someone who is starting in the stunt scene, that might be a good thing.
Then we have nothing to argue about, that's the same thing I am saying.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,449 Posts
colin409 said:
Then we have nothing to argue about, that's the same thing I am saying.
Sorry, guess I just went on a useless tangent.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
well i will speak from experience. i have a GS 500 still.... and let me just say. not the easiest thing to wheelie. from a stop and or 10+ miles an hour, i pull in the clutch, get it up to about 7500 8500 rpm and drop the clutch. it goes up about 2-3 feet but from lack of power just drops right back down. it is an extremely light bike, but if i were trying to start stunting, like someone said. make it to where its easier to lift up or pick up a 600. GSs will go up but they will not stay up. i can positively say this from experience from riding for 1+ years. so thas my opinion. they can do it but not hold it....someone please tell me if im wrong.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
206 Posts
littleredcar said:
well i will speak from experience. i have a GS 500 still.... and let me just say. not the easiest thing to wheelie. from a stop and or 10+ miles an hour, i pull in the clutch, get it up to about 7500 8500 rpm and drop the clutch. it goes up about 2-3 feet but from lack of power just drops right back down. it is an extremely light bike, but if i were trying to start stunting, like someone said. make it to where its easier to lift up or pick up a 600. GSs will go up but they will not stay up. i can positively say this from experience from riding for 1+ years. so thas my opinion. they can do it but not hold it....someone please tell me if im wrong.
Your wrong. If I can wheelie a mini bike, I can wheelie a GS500. Not trying to be an ass.

Wheeling an underpowered bike is something that requires some know-how. If you are learning, I think learning on something that is difficult is the best way. Getting the bike up the first 2-3 feet is the hardest part, you can get it up the rest of the way with just body positioning. Of course, if you don't know what you aredoing, you can easily loop it.

Even if you don't really have the know-how, but still want to do it, you can just step up to a monstrous rear sprocket.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
ok i stand corrected. all i did today was wheelie my GS500 and you are probably right, you have to have the know how and a big ass rear sprocket to pull off some good ones. i pulled about 8 wheelies today, all of them about 2 1.2 feet off the ground but i could not hold them up. but my balls hurt like a bitch but i think i know why. anyway, i have been successful popping them going about 10-15mph give or take and dropping clutch at about 8g+ or so. but yeah.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
206 Posts
littleredcar said:
you have to have the know how and a big ass rear sprocket to pull off some good ones.
Not "and a big ass rear sprocket", or a big ass rear sprocket. The large rear sprocket is a short cut that allows you to more consistently do a wheelie that otherwise is possible but difficult.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top