Sportbike World banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's what's up. I have a 2000 CBR600F4. It hauls all throughout the range and has no problem puttin' the front wheel up. I, on the other hand, have a problem keepin' it up. HELP! I can easily pull it up without use of clutch in first, but I can rarely keep it up. It usually comes up so quick that I feel as if I'm gonna go backwards. Three words: Broken neck BAD. Now, I need some adv. on how to ride the wheelie right past the friendly state patrolman, instead of having to drop the front down due to lack of "keeping it up" ability. I have kept it goin' a few times, but not that high, only about 3ft above asphalt. Any advice you can offer will be appreciated.

By the way...I don't really try to ride past the officers...my stupidity only goes so far.

------------------
Ride on!!!
2000 CBR600F4
Piped, Jetted, totally trick...
Rubber side down my Bruthas!!!

[This message has been edited by CBR Brutha (edited May 16, 2000).]

·
Registered
275 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Aril, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CBR Brutha:
I have a 2000 CBR600F4. It hauls all throughout the range and has no problem puttin' the front wheel up. I, on the other hand, have a problem keepin' it up. HELP! I can easily pull it up but I can rarely keep it up. Any advice you can offer will be appreciated.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

CBR, You might try some "YAMAHAGRA" for your CBR blues. A nice dosage of R1 or R6 and you should be able to keep it up all day long!
Just kidding my SportBiking Brutha.

------------------
RLJ3RD ... 98' R1
"The only thing worse than regret is not trying"

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks man, but I have no problem achieving Hondarection. I just need to know how to "keep it up", so to speak. Yamahagra...Good one!!

------------------
2000 CBR600F4
Keep the Rubber side down my Bruthas!!!
Ride on!!!

[This message has been edited by CBR Brutha (edited May 17, 2000).]

·
Registered
525 Posts
I think the bike is capable, you are just choking up. Keep your foot on the brake and just go for it. Don't be aafraid of flipping it, because I doubt you are even coming close to vertical. Usuallly the balance point is the same as the "Oh shit!" point. If still unsure, go brake out the Huffy and start practicing.

Trevor

------------------

·
Registered
58 Posts
As a former BMX racer I agree with the practice strategy. The power is not the same and bikes are lighter to pull up but at least you can go out and feel the balance point. When you loop out all you have to do is jump off the pedals. Another technique to try on the bike is rev it up pretty high in first gear, chop the throttle, then snap it again and she'll come right up. But do keep that right foot ready on the brake just in case and whatever you do dont accidentally grad the front brake on the way down.

------------------

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh yeah, totally. Practice is the only thing that is gonna help me perfect the balancing of the bike during wheelie. I just need some tips to know when the "balance point" occurs, what it feels like (Does it feel like it's gonna come over?), and what to expect from it. See, I have no problem getting it up using the exact method you describe: on-off-on HARD (I don't like using the clutch. With my current setup, it comes up WAY too quick when I snap the clutch to bring it up). I just need to be able to keep it up more consistently. Keep the input coming...

------------------
2000 CBR600F4
Keep the Rubber side down my Bruthas!!!
Ride on!!!

[This message has been edited by CBR Brutha (edited May 17, 2000).]

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
The rear brake works a lot better on bicycles that motorcycles. Sportbikes in particular have rather weak rear brakes by design, plus it's hard to modulate the rear brake when in wheelie position. I suggest just using the throttle to control the horizon/bike orientation, engine braking WILL bring you back from the "OH SHIT" position.

------------------
'98 Superhawk

·
Registered
10 Posts
I was also having the same trouble with my 99 Gixxer but to my amazment I just had to lear the balance point it is a weird feeling the bike just kinda sits it comes way up and then it gets really light feeling then you just have to play with the throttle but smaller motions as its not going to need the same power to maninpulate the speed
No insult meant by this but you just have to go all out and not chicken out at the last minute (been there done that a hundred times)
Clutching it up in first and then going right to 2nd is also good just get it way up and bang second (cover your rear brake it will bring you down)

------------------

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
Getting it up is easy but using it well once
it's up is the tough part.

It sounds like you are coming up to hard and
fast to me. Try to bring the front wheel up
LOWER in the rev range, or use a small bump
in the road to help lift the wheel smoother.

If you sit further back in the seat it will
also help balance the front better. With
most 600s if you go over too far but you
still want to wheelie, you need to partially
close the throttle and then get RIGHT back on
it. If you close the throttle all the way
the front will come down.

I never use the rear break to stop a wheelie.
Dropping the throttle is sufficient.

I could sit here and go on and on and on
about technique but it boils down to this.
Practice is going to do it more than thinking
about it. Feel rules when it comes to
wheelies. Know that when you FEEL like you
are going to flip, that IS the balance point.
It takes very little throttle to keep the
wheely going once you've got it at that point
It takes FULL throttle to get it up there.

Find a big open parking lot and practice
there, or a long straigh road with bumps in
it. The first time I rode an F4 I could get
2nd gear wheelies off of little bumps, the
bike definitley has it!

Practice, practice, pratice, relax, relax
relax. That's the ticket to wheelies.
Feel what the bike is doing and try not to
get too excited when the wheel hits the air.

Good Luck Bro... Soon you should be bouncing
off the rev limiter. - let us know.

Let me know when you get to rolling endos.

------------------

P

·
0 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Aril, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by hfxbiker:
snip...
No insult meant by this but you just have to go all out and not chicken out at the last minute ...snip

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll just keep on cluckin'. :D

------------------
Pete
Email: [email protected]

·
Registered
7 Posts
the trick is to play with the thottle. when you get it up, turn the throttle back and forth slightly. if you are up to high simply close the throttle a little, and the come back on the throttle a little. you will feel when you go past vertical, and it can happen. it happened to me NOTE: try not to do them in the dark in places where you do not know the pavement, i was up(headlight shining upwards) didn't see either the dip in the pavement or the dust. and i either spun the wheel and then hocked up putting me over, or i went in a dip putting me over. i found it was hard to bring the front back(i think i was way over pullin off a biaggi) i almost shot out into the traffic because i couldn't get the fron down by shuttin the throttle, so do cover the rear brake, although you will probably never use it. just get it up and play with it!LOL

------------------

·
Registered
94 Posts
i'm dying to learn how to wheelie (well, i know how to do them, just can't yet). that way, i can wave to the harleys sitting out in front of the bar! but, i'll be learning in the dirt first on a dual sport. dirt's a little softer, and there aren't cars around either. safer. :)

------------------
Amy
"Smiling from gear to gear."

·
Registered
38 Posts
just reliving a topic. and besides, its very factual...good stuff brotha

------------------

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey Brutha! As somebody posted earlier, DO NOT ACCIDENTALLY GRAB YOUR FRONT BRAKE!! I know a guy who did this. He was riding a wheelie and thought he saw a cop watching him so he panicked and guess what. Mega damage to his TL-1000R and himself. He went from wheelie to stoppie to back flip in about 2 seconds flat.

------------------

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Aril, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by nohenrys:
Hey Brutha! As somebody posted earlier, DO NOT ACCIDENTALLY GRAB YOUR FRONT BRAKE!! I know a guy who did this. He was riding a wheelie and thought he saw a cop watching him so he panicked and guess what. Mega damage to his TL-1000R and himself. He went from wheelie to stoppie to back flip in about 2 seconds flat.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Guess you didn't see my post in the "How Do I" Forum. I won't be doing any wheelies for awhile my man. Thanx for the advice though.

------------------
~Nick
2000 CBR600F4 -
Lost to the Blacktop God. 4,699 miles in under 3 mos. $8,300 worth of damage to my one and only baby. On the brighter side: Can you say 929rr???

·
Registered
129 Posts
my beer storage unit gets in my way of doing wheelies.

------------------
They have the internet on computers now???

1 - 17 of 17 Posts