Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:squid::burnout:
What gear do you all do wheelies in?

I've been trying a little in 1st gear and all I can get is some Mad fishtails.
My rear tire doesnt have any tread left so maybe I should be trying it in 2nd gear?

I wish I had some throttle response but I dont.. I have MAD throttle lag!
Stupid non-computer controlled carbs! (I should work on the carb)

CLUTCHED:
I've also tried reving up the engine some and letting out the clutch (slow and fast) but both times when the clutch goes out my bike's rpms die down and the bike slows for a second then speeds up.

Thanks for any help and negative comments.

Okay, let the :squid: -bashing start!

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
:squid::burnout:
What gear do you all do wheelies in?
Helmet, Jacket, Timax pants, gloves, Motorhead boots.

Actually, I only do wheelies when I hit a crest under hard acceleration.

I've been trying a little in 1st gear and all I can get is some Mad fishtails.
My rear tire doesnt have any tread left so maybe I should be trying it in 2nd gear?

I wish I had some throttle response but I dont.. I have MAD throttle lag!
Stupid non-computer controlled carbs! (I should work on the carb)

CLUTCHED:
I've also tried reving up the engine some and letting out the clutch (slow and fast) but both times when the clutch goes out my bike's rpms die down and the bike slows for a second then speeds up.

Thanks for any help and negative comments.

Okay, let the :squid: -bashing start!
Glad to see you're making good use of your first bike. I look forward to my insurance premium increase soon.

·
Registered
15 Posts
what kind of bike r u ridin? My bike will do 1st gear wheelies off the throttle if I am carefull, but need clutch in 2nd. Just a slap of clutch in 1st and it comes up at any rpm!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
2001 zx7r with 12k miles.
I'm always trying to be as safe as possible when riding anywhere.
When I'm trying to wheelie its on an empty Huge parking lot with nothing in the way anywhere near. I will admit that I need better gear cause I Know I will get MAJOR road rash if I fall and am at risk to possibly break something like a knee cap. I Definately dont want to add to a bad biker reputation or cause anyones insurance to go up. I always try to help our rep.

My friend told me he saw my front wheel come off the ground but I just didnt feel it and I dont believe it. Its taking ALOT for me to attempt a wheelie (I lean back)
What is wrong with my bike? I know its obeese at around 450 lbs plus my heavy ass of 195.

Whats wrong with my bike if I'm at say.... 6k rpms and let out the clutch (dropping the clutch or letting it out slow) it has a major hesitation. You'd think that the bike would throw me off but it laaagggssss.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Bro, your bike is in no way obese, and neither are u! and dont feel bad about some harmless shananigans- wheelies r super fun and I dont do them in traffic or anything majorly stupid but every now and then if im in the right gear--------
I think your problem is a jettng issue- what pipe is on that bike?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
what pipe do I have? you mean the can? Its got a D&D muffler from Ft Worth, its loud and I love it.
If it is a jetting issue with the carbs then I want to get that corrected ASAP!
I've seen writeups on how to do jetting on kawasakiforums.com so I will attempt it myself if I can do the job. Also need to get the carbs synced and valves adjusted.

I've never worked on carbs before.

With scootin around town and the occasional 80% throttle every few days I'm getting 12mpg!!! I'm Hardly Ever getting on it.
Thanks for the guess at diagnosing my problem over the net!!
Cant wait to correct the problems and give the bike the TLC it needs!

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
from the sound of your posts, your fairly new to riding. maby you should get more seat time and mileage under your belt before squidding it up on streets doing wheelies. Im not busting your balls or anything, just dont want you to become a statistic, or end up in the hospital or jail for doing stupid shit.

and depending on your bike (1000, 600, 750, ect), will all be different for pulling wheelies. 1000's can do power wheelies 1st 2nd and maby 3rd gears. most lower cc bikes need to be clutched up.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
maby you should get more seat time and mileage under your belt before squidding it up on streets doing wheelies.
When I'm trying to wheelie its on an empty Huge parking lot with nothing in the way anywhere near.
I'm not squiding on the streets

and I cant do clutch wheelies even though I have a 750. My bike is brokeded :cussing;:crying:

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I'm not squiding on the streets

and I cant do clutch wheelies even though I have a 750. My bike is brokeded :cussing;:crying:
wtf is "brokeded"? lol sorry man.

and you cant clutch it up? clutch wheelies should be easy for 750's and 600's. i really think (from all your posts and threads) that you should indeed take the msf course, and get alot of seat time under your belt before learing how to do stunts. this way, you become even more familiar with your bike and what does what. sounds like your trying to do things that are above your skill level or knowledge. again, im not bustin your balls, just looking out fo ya man. and if i were you, i wouldnt even get back on my bike with out FULL gear (race/riding boots, riding pants, riding jacket or siut (1pc or 2pc), gauntlet gloves and a dot/snell approved lid).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Whit that kind of milage sounds like a carb problem for sure. how long have you had the bike? Ever had it servced? Carbs cleaned, air filter, valves checked?

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
i also forgot to post earlier, send headlight a pm. he just had his carb'd R1 tuned. he was having issues with rinning really rich, then running really lean.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I definetly agree wit DEMONRR. Doin wheelies is easy but having the experience to recover from the mistakes u WILL make is the difference between ridin for ever or never ridin agai!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i also forgot to post earlier, send headlight a pm. he just had his carb'd R1 tuned. he was having issues with rinning really rich, then running really lean.
yea, you said that in my last thread and I sent him a PM but he didnt reply :(
:crying:
thanks alot guys, I have a starting point now

·
Registered
3 Posts
I agree with most of the others here that you need more riding time before stunting, but since you are gonna try anyway. I stunted my zx7r for a few years before giving up and getting something that I did not have to work so hard to get it up. Redmonkey.com is a great resource for zx7r tips and mods. If you wanna wheelie your zx7 practice clutching it up. Even though it's a 750 they will not power up easily especially with stock gearing. I had a 2000 which is the same as your bike. down 1 on the front sprocket up 2 on the rear. get your ass as far back on the seat as you can, 15 mph in first gear, pull in the clutch SOME and build some rpms approx. 7K , release clutch quickly, but with control while simultaneously whacking the throttle open. WEAR YOUR GEAR and cover the rear brake just in case. Anyone that is telling you to throttle wheelie (no clutch) a stock geared zx7 has not tried to wheelie one. They do not come up easy like a gixxer or an R1. I also agree that you have a carb issue with your bike. I similair problems with mine that turned out to be torn diaphragms in the carbs. There is also an airbox mod that removes the recirculation valve in front of the airbox. you can find details on how to do it if you search for it. It helps alot with throttle response on this bike.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I forgot to mention that my exhaust Backfires(pops) just in idle! It does Not do it when decelerating! what could that be? too much air entering engine at the wrong time?

fmxridah! thanks alot! great info!
I will try not to attempt wheelies until I get more and proper gear.

who would've thought I would get advice for a zx7r on this forum and not on my manufacturer-specific forum?

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Your carbs definetly have to be retuned, bikes should not backfire at idle. Probably the new pipe you put on has something to do with it, maybe something else.
Now common, a touch of common sense, you just got this bike, do you really want to total it this quickly? is half a season too much to ask for?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Helmet, Jacket, Timax pants, gloves, Motorhead boots

Glad to see you're making good use of your first bike. I look forward to my insurance premium increase soon.
I didnt mean riding gear lol

So you are saying I should install a nitrous kit, switch up my gearing for the better low speed acceleration, shave 15 lbs off the front, install a supercharger just in case, put on a skinny front wheel, and sit as far back on the passenger seat as possible? J/K :hello:

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
I didnt mean riding gear lol
I know, I was being facetious. I'm sure you haven't stopped to consider your own safety in your quest to loft the front wheel.

So you are saying I should install a nitrous kit, switch up my gearing for the better low speed acceleration, shave 15 lbs off the front, install a supercharger just in case, put on a skinny front wheel, and sit as far back on the passenger seat as possible? J/K :hello:
No. Actually, I don't think your bike is powerful enough to do any of that, even with the mods. What you need is a turbocharged GSX-1300R hayabusa with nitrous. If you put it in first, and rev to about 9K before you dump the clutch, you *might* be able to get the front wheel to come off the ground.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
haha Well... we better make sure I'm using a nitto drag radial and heat it up REAL good so that I can catch Some traction for once! Safety is for babies J/K
Just to let you know I havent been trying it since the last time (not till I get some Good gear ;) ).
I need wheelie rehab!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts