Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at a Bike Fest in Huntington Beach, Ca a couple of weeks ago and saw a couple guys wheelie-ing their 748's. One guy was able to get it up at a 10 o'clock position and do a one footer standup. My question is: How the hell do they do this? I can only get my Duc to go six inches at most.

Here's how i'm doing it and maybe one of you guys or girls can help--While rolling in 1st, Rev up to about 8-9 RPM and blip the throttle (instant on/off), and then i open up the throttle, the front wheel goes up a couple if inches and comes down again. This "one inch wheelie" lasts about two seconds. What am I doing wrong?

Also has anyone tried doing an endo on their Ducati? If so, please show me how!!

Sorry, don't mean to sound like such a newbie, but i've been riding motorcycles for awhile now and can hang in the canyons, but i really want to learn some trick riding for my own amusement.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Well, I enjoy tricks myself. First of all, what Duck do you have? If it's a 748, they're not powerful enough(in my opinion). I rode one and really struggled to bring it up in 1st. 2nd was a nightmare. My 996 is pretty easy in first, do as you were with the on/off the throttle but then as you feel your revs slowing you down, preload the front forks by pushing down on your bar. As you feel your forks push back up, crack the throttle. Becareful, once you're up past 10 o'clock, it comes up quick :eek: so ease the throttle.

Stoppies - (balls required) :hurl: From 35-50 mph, shift your weight forward and with only two fingers on the brake lever, slowly squeeze until you feel it come up. It takes a lot of practice for you to learn when it feels right. :rolleyes:

BTW.....I'm not responsible for you looping out your bike. Just be on the safe side of every attempt. Don't push it if it doesn't feel right!!

Good luck:D

·
Registered
127 Posts
Not that I care, but you may notice there will be some oil visiting your airbox as the frequency of your squid activities increases...........:D

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
dpasseto: the bike i have is a 748, but i've seen people wheelie them pretty high, that's why i was asking b/c i couldn't get mine the same height.

desmo: Thanks for the warning! Is the oil coming from inside the engine and out the air filter or another source?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Desmo - life is short - as your signature states. I'm not some squid who pulls wheelies at every chance I get :D . I'm also not some old man who uses not being able to do wheelies as an excuse for why they are bad:p

Craz - The oil he's talking about is going to come from that bleeder valve that comes from the case of the motor and into your airbox. It's near the back of the bike by the shock on the right side. I recently pulled my gas tank off to top off coolant and I had no "oil visits".

As for having a 748, I'm sure you can wheelie it using your clutch but :eek: I don't recommend it with a dry clutch. Becareful.....don't be a squid!!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the help... Saw your other post...I too wish this forum was more lively! The only other one i know of is esportbike.com

·
Registered
127 Posts
dpasseto - All I was trying to say was there could be some adverse effects. I know you were just teasing........just trying to help out what few wise souls we have here who own desmos!

·
Registered
193 Posts
craz3,believe me you have plenty of torque to do a wheelie.8-9,000 rpm is a little to high.try it between 5-6 and grab a handful it'll come up.

·
Registered
148 Posts
dpasseto said:
.... I'm also not some old man who uses not being able to do wheelies as an excuse for why they are bad:p ....
darn... you just described ME!! I'm old and I've never intentionally done a wheelie - I felt the wheel come up a bit off a start once at a trackday so I know my bike can do it, just can't bring myself to practise on my gorgeous shiny Supersport... but, IF, IF a person theoretically wanted to wheelie a 900SSie - would that be hard? You know, rhetorically speaking? :D

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hmmm... for those that can wheelie a 748 with ease... I wonder if those guys maybe had changed out their rear sprocket?

M.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I can bring mine up all day as high as I want with out any problems. I ride at about 7 to 7500 and maintain that for a second then gas it, wait till the front end comes down and then when it starts to come back up hammer it. It should come up with out any problem. It's true that they are a little underpowered but they have more than enough torque which is what you need. And mine is completely stock except for my pipes.

·
Registered
455 Posts
BamBam said:

darn... you just described ME!! I'm old and I've never intentionally done a wheelie - I felt the wheel come up a bit off a start once at a trackday so I know my bike can do it, just can't bring myself to practise on my gorgeous shiny Supersport... but, IF, IF a person theoretically wanted to wheelie a 900SSie - would that be hard? You know, rhetorically speaking? :D

Mine does 1 to 2 foot power wheelies no problem. Just smack it on in first and up she comes. Stock gearing too.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Alright, Here are the results after a couple of wheelie sessions:

I rev up to about 5.5-6rpm (going approx 25-30mph)

Then i blip the throttle( an instant off-on w/ the throttle) and just keep the throttle at the max for that moment.

if the front wheel doesn't come up, i slow down a couple of miles and then try again.

I have successfully and consistently wheelied my Ducati 748 at least 2ft in the air and when the road is long enough i can find the balance point with a little more throttle and bring the front wheel about 3-3.5ft in the air.

The feeling is awesome when the bike begins to angle upwards!

Also, I finally met up with the guy who I saw do a one footer standup wheelie on his 748, and he told me that he does those wheelies in 2nd gear by popping the clutch. Hmmm, Don't think i'm going to be trying those on my DRY clutch anytime soon.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I feel like such a spy!

Well, I don't have a Duc- but I do ride a twin, and was also curious about getting it to wheelie. I bought my VTR after hi-siding a 929RR, and it was my first experience with twins. I couldn't understand why everyone kept telling me the Superhawk was a "real wheelie machine", it seemed my 929 was easier. However, after reading your posts, I think my problem was the same as Craz3- Starting in to high RPM range. I could get it up from stop lights by pinning the throttle, but was worried about looping:hurl: I will try the 5-6K range, and see how it goes, plus i neverthried the on/off gas thing- I usually just pin it open. Thanks!!:thumb:

·
Registered
107 Posts
Wheelies for everybody

I'm no expert on wheelies - but I'd like to be - It's just the potential repair bills for getting it wrong scare me.

What I do remember from riding my old Yam DT175MX is that with enough clutch abuse, stupidity and the desire to show off (that often backfired) that would wheelie on just 17 bhp, even with it geared up to go faster than standard.

Before I get loads of hate mail - yes I know that the weight, size, style of bike, decade and type of engine (1 cyl 2 stroke - V twin 4 stroke) are all completely different but I'd guess the technique is more important than the power.

Maybe I'll put that old DT back together to practice... :eek:

·
Registered
6 Posts
I let my buddy wheelie my bike and what he did was pop the clutch in 1st and would ride it on one wheel till almost 4th gear! He can ride though so i wouldn't reccommend it if you haven;t wheelied much.

It was kinda hard to get my bike up by throttle but you have to let the forks compress and pull up.:drool:

·
Registered
5 Posts
wow, i cant believe you are having trouble wheelieing a 748. i have a monster750 and can throttle wheelie it all day with no problem. something is definatley amiss with your technique, the 748 "should" have gobs of torque over the monster.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts