Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know at least 90% of you have done it, so... How fast does your bike go on that looooong strightaway when the wind is just right and the 4 carbs are mixing perfectly (or 2, or injection) blah blah blah..

·
Registered
714 Posts
I would NEVER think about abusing the speed limit anywhere.
Any police about ? No, o.k. then, 157 on the clock. But don't tell my wife !

·
Registered
193 Posts
I'm with Smeg, hope my wife doesn't see this...

Speedo around 165...
By the book speed at redline with stock gearing is:
4th @ 11,000 = 148
5th @ 11,000 = 167

I redlined 4th and was almost 10,000 in 5th. I just I was going maybe 155. Damn country straights are not quite long enough!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Approximately 180mph on the speedo. I'm pretty sure the speedo error is up near about 8%, so I'd say guess 165 or so*. It was on a beautiful day, about 80 degrees F and the bike was running really smoothly. It was on a four-lane divided highway going through north-western Virginia. (Rt. 50 coming back from Summit Point for those familiar with the area) I held it at that speed for about five minutes. :eek: :D I passed some Harley riders at that speed who saw me coming and gave me a thumbs-up as I passed. They were cruising pretty fast too (90-100) so I had just enough time to give them a return thumbs-up as I went by.

It was on one of those days when everyone who owns a bike is out riding and getting throttle-happy. I suspect that's why the Harley guys were so friendly. :p

Chris

*My gearing at the time was minus one tooth on the front sprocket. Normally you'd think that this would lower top speed, but it does the opposite on a VTR. The stock gearing can't make top theoretical speed because the engine can't pull redline in top gear due to lack of power (torque?) and air resistance. With slightly lower gearing, it has enough oomph to get the last few hundred RPM and last few MPH.

·
Registered
865 Posts
A quick blast to an indicated 165.....not topped out, but I was
doing it somewhere I should not have been....

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My buddy's ZX9 does about 285-290 (177-180mph), I think you can squeeze some more speed out of her. (good going - that quick blast probably lasted JUST long enough!)

·
Registered
52 Posts
95 ZX6R 153MPH indicated, 13,900 rpms, just like the book says.

86 KLR600 103MPH, TALK ABOUT SPEED WOBBLES.

92 DR350 89MPH, maybe 90 if I scooted up real hard.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Top Speed.....

Right after I got my NOS installed I was messin around on the highway, and hit it in 4th to 5th up to 165 on the speedo.....she was still pulling hard but too much traffic and I thought I had blew by a cop.:eek:

P

·
0 Posts
I finally got around to doing a high-speed run on my 929 for the first time this past Sunday. Recalling the excellent advice posted on SBW in another thread, I ran the distance to ensure everything was safe and clear. No traffic, excellent visibility, good weather with no wind, good road conditions, no intersecting roads, flat farm land on either side for a good 10 miles. Time to go! I backed off when I got to 63mph. What a rush!!!

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Pete said:
I backed off when I got to 63mph. What a rush!!!
Wow Pete!! 63mph you speed demon!!! (j/k)

This summer I'm buying a chatterbox, (4-mile distance) and then send a pal down the road to scout for me. This kinda beats the self-scout, because of the time factor between runs.

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
96 gsx-r750, 6th gear, 2+ on the rear, d207gps, 11,750 on the tach. all that stuff does matter. i'd guess in the high 150's

i did it the right place, front straight at summit point.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I was out with my uncle a few weeks back, We got on a dual carriageway that runs for about 20-25 miles about half way along he pulled me over and said let's gun it for a couple of miles, So we did, I was holding my blade hard against the stop in top but he shot past me like i was standing still, He was riding his Busa so i guess i was doing around 165 ish god knows what he was doing !!!!!!!:D :D

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
165 before I geared down.... about 154 after I geared down (one tooth off the front sprocket). Now I don't have a speedo, or tach (or any gauges at all). Its amazing how much faster you go when you don't know how fast your going. Fortunately, when an R1 is next to me, I can read the speedo on his bike. Hitting the rev limiter in 6th gear is fun.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Before my friend wrecked it, I got the chance to take his turbo busa for a spin. I'm not sure what the actual HP was because it was never dynoed, but the waste gate was set to 7 PSI. I stayed on the throttle until the speedo indicated 200Mph. The busa's speedo is off by 10-11% at that speed, but I was happy to get it that far.

My 2 bikes cant get anywhere near that. My KZ-1100 which is stock except for a kerker pipe will go about 135 ish, but the speedo only reads up to 85. My KZ-1000 with the engine mods will max out at 158MPH with stock gearing. It has more than enough power to pull another gear, but i'm stuck with a 5 speed from the eighties.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok you and Pete are $#!ttin' me. I thought you guys left out the 1 in front of 145mph and 165 mph. Thoth the Scribe succumbs to the blow... :twofinger

·
Registered
254 Posts
I will have to admit to running 145-ish a couple of times (actual, not indicated) on the street. (for short distances) Not the smartest move ever, but I did it. I don't run that fast any more on the street, though. On the track, I really don't know...maybe in the 160 to 170 mph range.

I'll tell you what's REALLY hard to do, though. If you don't believe me, just go out and try it. A couple of weeks ago, I had to lead a benefit ride with a whole bunch of different kinds of bikes from scooters to Harleys. Since this was a benefit ride for the family of a guy that was killed in a motorcycle crash, it had to be a speed limit ride. This was about a 100 mile ride through the mountains of North Georgia. Holding at the speed limit for that distance was MURDER. Even at that one guy on a Harley was having trouble keeping up. He kept parking it in the corners and almost getting the guy behind him up his ass.

1 - 20 of 157 Posts