Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious to find out what everyones average MPG is. I get around 25-30 MPG highway, and it just seems low. I dont press to hard so I wanted to do some comparing.

Thanks,
Sepias

Also include if your bike is jetted of not please.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I try to keep between 5-7k and I'm still getting 25-30:crying: Grrr... but it confirms what I suspected... I dont get good gas milage. Thanks for the replies all.

Sepias

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I only run 93 or 100. The air filter was just changed all of 100 miles ago, it was put in when I had the bike in the shop for alot of work. The MPG has gone up a bit from before it went into the shop. I was getting around 90 to my 4g tank and I'm getting around 100 now. I have had one ocasion were I got over 36 mpg but that was on a cross state ride. Ehh o well, if I was realy looking to save on gas, I would be riding a scooter...

Thanks again,
Sepias

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Gas mileage

Wow, that IS weird. I get about 40mpg city, 50mpg highway on my ZX-11.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It bugs me cuz my car gets better milage but owell. I'm guessing its something about the way the bike is made or a previous owner did something to it. Ehh o well its still real fun to ride.

Sepias

·
Super Moderator
704 Posts
I'd guess you need a tune up. My FZR gets 38 mpg, and my YZF averages 42 mpg. I record each tank of fuel, only fill up my tanks (never a partial, or only 10 bucks worth or anything like that) and record any changes made to my machines. Yes... I'm a bit obsessive compulsive. In fact, in the whole life of my FZR, I have never seen below 30 mpg, even on track/canyon rides.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My bike just got a $300 dollar tune up that came with fixing the problems it was having. I haven't done much highway riding since the tune up, but I have gone through 2 tanks of gas. I start taking it back to class tomarrow so we will see.

Sepias

·
Registered
462 Posts
Fkwyman said:
What kinda gas do you use? I run 93 in mine, that might make a difference of a couple MPG.
Are you sure? I'm remembering reading everywhere (including on this site) that unless your manual calls for 93 octane, or it is pinging with a lower octane gasoline, then you're just wasting your money. An octane rating simply shows the resistance to combustion, so it doesn't ignite early (causing pinging). It has nothing to do with how efficiently it burns, or how much power you get out of it. Read around.
http://theserviceadvisor.com/octane.htm
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question90.htm
Originally found in Wikipedia
The power output of an engine depends on the energy content of its fuel, and this bears no simple relationship to the octane rating. A common myth amongst petrol consumers is that adding a higher octane fuel to a vehicle's engine will increase its performance and/or lessen its fuel consumption; this is mostly false—engines perform best when using fuel with the octane rating they were designed for and any increase in performance by using a fuel with a different octane rating is minimal.

Well, anywhoo... on to the original question of this thread:
My ninja 250 gets at least 45 mpg, no matter how hard I run (relatively speaking, of course). If I'm gentle on the throttle, I sometimes get 60mpg. But I suppose it wouldn't be fair to compare a 250cc, 36hp engine with a 750cc much-more-than-36hp engine. ;)

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Sport bikes doesn't really follow the octane rules of its fellow car engines since our engines are designed for higher revs. Most super sport bikes run on 93, but can run on 86 or higher. I just wouldn't want to redline the engine if I'm using a lower octane fuel.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
If you get poor mileage, it could be air filter clogged, or carbs running rich, or need oil change/oil filter, bad sparks, worn tires, etc. I used to get barely 100 per tank, now it's usually over 150 with a lot of redlining, and a bit more if I keep away from 1st gear redlines, this excludes the reserve.

As for octane rating, who cares? Especially if you bought your bike preowned, you have no idea what the previous owners did to it regardless of sales pitch. And how many people really keep their bikes more than 20K (with exception few members of course)? Especially now when we have bikes that outright ridiculous in being better every way and getting released every year.

Just abuse it, have fun, stay alive, and get another one.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Z_Fanatic said:
If you get poor mileage, it could be air filter clogged, or carbs running rich, or need oil change/oil filter, bad sparks, worn tires, etc. I used to get barely 100 per tank, now it's usually over 150 with a lot of redlining, and a bit more if I keep away from 1st gear redlines, this excludes the reserve.

As for octane rating, who cares? Especially if you bought your bike preowned, you have no idea what the previous owners did to it regardless of sales pitch. And how many people really keep their bikes more than 20K (with exception few members of course)? Especially now when we have bikes that outright ridiculous in being better every way and getting released every year.

Just abuse it, have fun, stay alive, and get another one.
I want to keep my bike and start a collection more of less, so abusing it isn't what I really want to do:D Its not the air filter, new plugs, tune up or any of that. All of those were changed with the tune up 100 miles ago. Ill try a few things to see if it pans out better since it was tuned up.

Sepias

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yup, I was thinking about going down one on the front, but I know that will only make my MPG worse. I'm trying to get ahold of my mechanic to make sure that the air filter was changed, I should know shortly.

Sepias

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
About 120miles before the light comes on... which works out to be around 38 if my mind-calculator is working this morning...

But I suspect my air filter needs to go (i took it out and cleaned it, but havent changed it yet). Anyone knows how often sparkplugs are supposed to get switched?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts