Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Cops are total ass holes!
I got pulled over 2 times in one day within 1 hour just because they wanted to make sure I had my motorcycle endorsement on my drivers license. Sorry, that this doesn't relate to the headlight. But cops are f__ked up in Texas right now. They think they are God. At least I didn't get a ticket. I am legal.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
JBaz said:
one's low beam, the other is high beam... made sense with the engineers... I've been pulled over twice by cops telling me I have a broken headlight.
The first time I found that one out, was when I took a brand new bike back to the dealership.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Honda has been doing that since the RC-51 in 2000. I believe that Ducati has been doing it since the 916 came out back in the mid 90s but I'm not positive on that one. The ones I worked on didn't have their lights.

·
Registered
75 Posts
This is just a rumor I heard and I'm not sure I believe it. I heard they went to one headlight because a bike with two beams looks like a car that is far away, but in reality it's a bike that's very close. Does that make sense? If you think about it, it does. If you see two lights coming at you at night you would think it's a car, but the lights on a bike are so close together, they look like one light anyway from far away.

I don't really know. Thats why I don't really believe that explanation. I think I might have even read that in one of the "funny books" like cycle world or motorcyclist!

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Hi DieSonne-

That is very interesting about the headlights. I've always noticed the "off-center" appearance of late-model motorcycle lamps but never really thought at length about it. I remember when some riders used to run a white bulb and an amber bulb to provide additional depth-perception to cagers.

What does everyone think is the engineering reason behind it? Does keeping the low-beam and the high-beam bulbs completely separate from each other preserve the filament by letting them stay cooler? I'm not technical in nature, so I'm kind of puzzled.

:confused:

~ Blue Jays ~

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
I think its a cost thing again bluey. They could go suzi style for one bulb, but that would change the "look" too much. If they go with dual filament bulbs in each spot, we're talking about a higher price.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Hi Vash-

So you're saying a rider could have two low-beams and two high-beams (if they wish) by replacing the stock single-filament bulbs with dual-filament bulbs? I'm just asking because this will apply to my "dreambike" someday! :cool:

~ Blue Jays ~

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Blue Jays said:
Hi Vash-

So you're saying a rider could have two low-beams and two high-beams (if they wish) by replacing the stock single-filament bulbs with dual-filament bulbs? I'm just asking because this will apply to my "dreambike" someday! :cool:

~ Blue Jays ~
Yeah, but its a touch more complicated. You'll have to do some rewiring (as each bulb now needs 3 wires) and the hardest part will be to get all of them aimed correctly. I believe there are kits out there that will do the job for you.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Hi Vash-

Oh, shoot! You know how much I hate complication, rewiring, aftermarket stuff, and messing with nice and reliable factory arrangements. I was hoping it just meant replacing bulbs!

~ Blue Jays ~

·
Registered
295 Posts
OMG if i had a fucking dollar for everytime someone tried to be the good citizen and tell me i had a light out id be rich. its the same thing on the f4i's one for low and the other for high beam.
people are always either asking me y i have a light out (first of all if it was out y would you ask me y i have it out obviously i havent gotten around to fixing or didnt know) or y only one lights up and that thats ghey.

O another thing people try to argue that since only one lights up on the side that how can i see or it must be hard to see etc. "so is like that side lit up more?" and i keep trying to explain that its pointed to the center and i can see quite well..... it goes on and on. sigh

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Hi Vash-

I can't even do that because pesky liberals and hippies drive Volvos and they wear it like a badge of honor!

Maybe the motorcycle manufacturers will eventually offer "factory options" so I can order dual-filament, dual-bulb headlamps and the factory heated grips for which I've always kept my fingers crossed!

:love:

~ Blue Jays ~

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
bluey: Have you looked at BMW's? if you are willing to spend the extra cash, their line of accessories is endless.

Me personally, I've been told that each of my vehicles looks like a science project. Everything is always welded, spliced, and rigged somehow. And in reality, thats all that factory stuff is. Its a million half assed rigging attempts, only they got part numbers.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
xtreme1k said:
This is just a rumor I heard and I'm not sure I believe it. I heard they went to one headlight because a bike with two beams looks like a car that is far away, but in reality it's a bike that's very close. Does that make sense? If you think about it, it does. If you see two lights coming at you at night you would think it's a car, but the lights on a bike are so close together, they look like one light anyway from far away.

I don't really know. Thats why I don't really believe that explanation. I think I might have even read that in one of the "funny books" like cycle world or motorcyclist!
I have heard that too but I've heard from a good source that it is like that for European reasons for the roads such as the autobahn. It allows you to flash a light for passing. The new GSXRs just put a passing switch on there controls.

And to those that just leave your brights on, damn if I were a cager and got the opportunity at night... I would smack the shit out of you. Those damn Honda brights are damn bright. Can't imagine driving into those at night.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
SkinnyJ said:
OMG if i had a fucking dollar for everytime someone tried to be the good citizen and tell me i had a light out id be rich. its the same thing on the f4i's one for low and the other for high beam.
people are always either asking me y i have a light out (first of all if it was out y would you ask me y i have it out obviously i havent gotten around to fixing or didnt know) or y only one lights up and that thats ghey.

O another thing people try to argue that since only one lights up on the side that how can i see or it must be hard to see etc. "so is like that side lit up more?" and i keep trying to explain that its pointed to the center and i can see quite well..... it goes on and on. sigh
The RCs actually do light up one side quite a bit more. ;)

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
RCjohn said:
And to those that just leave your brights on, damn if I were a cager and got the opportunity at night... I would smack the shit out of you. Those damn Honda brights are damn bright. Can't imagine driving into those at night.
Only leave the brights on during the day.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts