Sportbike World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I choose sportbikes over harleys because I believe the speed and freedom that come with a sportbike are what it's all about. BUT, there is something associated with sportbikes that bothers me to no end. The colored leathers. Crisscrossed patterns and stripes and whatnot so that people match their bikes; it bothers me to no end. Racing leathers are one thing...I'm talking professional racing where the colors help distinguish or promote or whatever...but I see a lot of guys riding around in "pretty" racing leathers on the streets. What I want to know is how many of you out there wear multicolored leathers on the street like this, and why you do so. I think the pretty boy image has got to stop.

THE END

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Oh goodness me!

Well for one thing I find nothing wrong with matching the leathers to the bike. Did you ever stop to think that maybe it's because of the high profile of the rider? Maybe he wants to look like one with his/ her bike. It has NOTHING to do with being a pretty boy/ EHEM!!! girl! I'm guessing you ask "why do people trick out their cars?" as well. CAUSE WE CAN. Nothing wrong with it. It's good to stick to your own opinions about things, but it hurts me DEEPLY when people critisize others just because what they do does not agree with what you believe.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I c someone doesn't like colored leather. I am buying some to match with my bike. I baught them for simple reasons. They are going ot match my bike, they are confortable, and they protect your body when you fall really good. I don't buy it to looks like a racer. I just want to be safe.:D

·
Registered
222 Posts
Yep, I wear a green, black & white Spidi Hook 1-piece suit. It matches my green 9R. I bought it because I like the way it looks and for the protection. At age 27, I'm not going for the "pretty boy" image but I don't want anything boring either. If I had wanted boring, I wouldn't have bought a sportbike.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Re: Not to be rude....

Kevlar7R said:
Not to be rude, but maybe you should go back and get a harley. They don't wear leathers. And they are usually pretty judgemental. I think you'll fit right in.
Sounds like a good idea...:D

·
Registered
184 Posts
You seem to be a little confused with the "pretty boy" image. That is riding around without a helmet with your Oakley sunglasses (I'm not slamming Oakley) wearing your Tommy T-shirt, shorts and shoes all while riding a wheelie infront of all the 13 year old girls. While the girls are amused the funny looking car with the flashing lights isn't.:D

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Well let's see. There is black leather, there is white leather, then there is the other colors. All black is too damn hot, all white gets dirty too easy so that leaves the other colors. If I am going to wear colored leathers then they might as well match my damn bike. I'm no pretty boy but it would look pretty sad to ride a red/black/silver bike while wearing green/purple/white leathers.

There's my $.02

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Walksw/3legs said:
I choose sportbikes over harleys because I believe the speed and freedom that come with a sportbike are what it's all about. BUT, there is something associated with sportbikes that bothers me to no end. The colored leathers. Crisscrossed patterns and stripes and whatnot so that people match their bikes; it bothers me to no end. Racing leathers are one thing...I'm talking professional racing where the colors help distinguish or promote or whatever...but I see a lot of guys riding around in "pretty" racing leathers on the streets. What I want to know is how many of you out there wear multicolored leathers on the street like this, and why you do so. I think the pretty boy image has got to stop.

THE END
Man if this isn't trolling I don't know what is... :D

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, I am judgmental, but no, I don't want a harley.

Why do people "trick out" their cars? Hopefully, they do it for performance; in my opinion, the people with chrome rims, mirror tinted windows, and neon lights coming out from under the car are just trying to impress women or their "boys." These Dodge Neons with racing stripes just crack me up.

When it comes down to it, spending hundreds of dollars on a leather suit to match the color of your bike and make you look like a fruit is ridiculous. You can't walk anywhere without attracting attention(which is why I think many of you choose to wear them). Get a black leather jacket, rough it up some, customize it with patches of your choosing, heck maybe even get a small portion done(like by your wrists) to match your bike....if that is too hot for you, ride faster, the wind'll cool you down. I think that is how you manage to look good, yet not fruity.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Walksw/3legs said:
Yeah, I am judgmental, but no, I don't want a harley.

Why do people "trick out" their cars? Hopefully, they do it for performance; in my opinion, the people with chrome rims, mirror tinted windows, and neon lights coming out from under the car are just trying to impress women or their "boys." These Dodge Neons with racing stripes just crack me up.

When it comes down to it, spending hundreds of dollars on a leather suit to match the color of your bike and make you look like a fruit is ridiculous. You can't walk anywhere without attracting attention(which is why I think many of you choose to wear them). Get a black leather jacket, rough it up some, customize it with patches of your choosing, heck maybe even get a small portion done(like by your wrists) to match your bike....if that is too hot for you, ride faster, the wind'll cool you down. I think that is how you manage to look good, yet not fruity.
Oh, for goodness sake.....

Don't we have moderators around here? Who let this guy in?

·
Founder
4,761 Posts
Walksw/3legs said:
When it comes down to it, spending hundreds of dollars on a leather suit to match the color of your bike and make you look like a fruit is ridiculous. You can't walk anywhere without attracting attention(which is why I think many of you choose to wear them).
What a funny statement from a guy who has the nickname of "Walksw/3legs". Now, you would not be trying to attract attention with that name would you?

P.S. My leathers are all black, not because I don't like the colors... But because I'm too damn cheap to buy new leathers when I get a new bike. ;)

·
Registered
150 Posts
Did you forget the helmets? They're mostly flashy colors too. Even if I didn't have leathers on people notice when you carry a helmet in anywhere. Geesh, get a life!!!!!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Walksw/3legs said:
......heck maybe even get a small portion done(like by your wrists) to match your bike....if that is too hot for you, ride faster, the wind'll cool you down. I think that is how you manage to look good, yet not fruity.
Thank god you gave us a set of standards to go by. Now, anyone can live by your rules and set thier "codes of cool" to some kind of legend.

I think that taking a step back to realize that people are different and that is what makes this world so great would help you out a lot. I am not saying that you are wrong, cause then I would be no better than you. (I know....I know....that is an ironic statement, but hopefully you know where I am going with that) I personally think that more people should dress in drag and ride thier motorcycle. Does that make me a fruit? Probably. Do I care what you think? No.
bRad

·
Registered
115 Posts
Admit it man...c'mon fess up. You wear t-shirts, shorts, and oakleys when you ride dont ya? Have you ever gotten stuck in traffic with a black leather jacket? I have and it sux, you cant always just go faster. Do you race? If not, why put patches on your jacket...your not getting paid to sponsor. Have you ever been hit by a car because they guy didnt "see you" (I have...it sux).

And now for my reason for wearing "fruity" leathers. I have crashed, it hurts and is expensive. The leathers I own had all the features I wanted, armor, perforation, good size, around $500. It just so happened they had a color scheme that matched my bike (red, white, a little bit of black). And when I buy a new bike I will keep my leathers if they match the bike or not. I wear my leathers for protection not to look cool. I ride on the track and aggresively on twisties I am familiar with. I want to be protected if I crash again. Basically any rider you see with full leather protection is an advid rider. Not just some poser. If I wanted to pose Id chrome out my frame and wheels. I could care less what people think of me when I ride...cause when I ride I am free from all that opresses (sp?) me.

Attachments

·
Registered
254 Posts
Walks/3legs, (by the way, I guess we can assume the "3rd" leg is a crutch)

My first point is that your suggestion to "get a black leather jacket and scuff it up", would be an attempt to achieve a certain look. Probably more along the line of the the Harley riders look. This is a look the YOU prefer. Maybe you like all the glittery silver studs and little chrome half helmets and chains and stuff. (which, by the way, I think is fruity looking. Half of the homosexuals I've seen in places like the French Quarter and in San Francisco were dressed that way) If that turns you on, then go for it. That's your taste, not mine. I don't dress, or equip my bike to please you, and I don't really give a shit what you like or think or wear. That covers the form part of the equation.

Now for the function part. This black leather fringy, jacket, vest, chaps thing that the Harley riders use is almost worthless for crash protection. They have NO armor, and the way they are designed would probably be ripped right off your body in the first 10 feet of a crash/slide. Real riding leathers have armor in all the contact places, and zip together or are 1-piece. You will probably still have your leathers and your skin after a crash. Also, you actually stated one reason for the colored leathers in your original post, without even realizing you were contradicting yourself. That is VISIBILITY. I'd rather a car see me because of bright colors than to be worried about attracting attention in a convenience store.

Now, I would suggest that you print this thread, and go hobbling back to your Harley poser buddies with it (if they will even talk to you now that you bought a sportbike), and you all sit around and whine about the sporbikers saying mean things to you. Be careful, though...teardrops can stain black leather. We wouldn't want you to ruin your look.

Stupid people are not to be pitied. They are to be attacked mercilessly.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Walksw/3legs said:
I choose sportbikes over harleys because I believe the speed and freedom that come with a sportbike are what it's all about... BUT, there is something associated with sportbikes that bothers me to no end. The colored leathers. Crisscrossed patterns and stripes and whatnot so that people match their bikes; it bothers me to no end. Racing leathers are one thing...I'm talking professional racing where the colors help distinguish or promote or whatever...but I see a lot of guys riding around in "pretty" racing leathers on the streets. What I want to know is how many of you out there wear multicolored leathers on the street like this, and why you do so. I think the pretty boy image has got to stop.THE END
I totally agree, my brutha'. Leather is extremely overrated, and those guys that wear full suits are major dorks. I alway's wear shorts, sandals and a FUBU or Thor jersey because I like the look.

The only time it really bothers me (wearing shorts) is when I get 2nd and 3rd degree burns on my legs, not to mention it's tough on the knees while dragging them in a turn. It's okay though, I just duct tape the shit outa' them when I get home.

Man, you're my type of rider! You're in Kentucky, which isn't too far from Deals Gap. I'd like to meet you there for a ride.

Later Bro!

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Re: Re: What's with the leathers?

748 abuser said:

...Man, you're my type of rider! You're in Kentucky, which isn't too far from Deals Gap. I'd like to meet you there for a ride.

Later Bro!
Uh oh, sounds like Paul found someone to school in the art of squidism. LOOK OUT!!! :D

·
Registered
236 Posts
I used to be

I used to be a pissed off punk. Back then, other people's preferences used to upset me when I didn't understand them. Non-moral value judgements related to preferences of others would upset me...

You remind me of me, just a little.

RELAX.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.