Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nice to be on the forum.I'm thinking about riding again and have a question.I know bikes have changed alot since my last bike( 93 cbr 900) and wanted to know would the newer 600's be comparable hp wise to the older 900.I had a zx 11 before the 900 and a 90 model fzr 1000 before that just to give you a idea of what I'm coming from and would like something comparable to those bikes in the hp department.Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,439 Posts
Welcome!! :cheers:

I did a quick search to determine the actual power of your former bikes. The 900RR made 124 HP and the FZR made 145. So that's putting you pretty much in the middle of 600 and 1000 territory compared to new bikes. However, given the difference in power delivery with modern fuel injection, I can guarantee that the 105-110HP from a brand new 600 is going to feel much more potent than that of your former bikes.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome!! :cheers:

I did a quick search to determine the actual power of your former bikes. The 900RR made 124 HP and the FZR made 145. So that's putting you pretty much in the middle of 600 and 1000 territory compared to new bikes. However, given the difference in power delivery with modern fuel injection, I can guarantee that the 105-110HP from a brand new 600 is going to feel much more potent than that of your former bikes.
Wow.It's been 10yrs since I've been on a bike so I figured I should ask.I have had a dozen or so bikes in my life so I wouldn't call myself a rookie but definitly no expert either since the 10 year layoff.Not that was a expert before the layoff.LOL.Where did you search to find the hp#'s for those bikes?Here?

·
Strength and Honor
6,143 Posts
Welcome :cheers:

And what he said :D

·
Premium Member
3,439 Posts
Wow.It's been 10yrs since I've been on a bike so I figured I should ask.I have had a dozen or so bikes in my life so I wouldn't call myself a rookie but definitly no expert either since the 10 year layoff.Not that was a expert before the layoff.LOL.Where did you search to find the hp#'s for those bikes?Here?
I just googled them. Normally bikez.com is a pretty good source of info.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Also, the newer 600's are much lighter than the older 900's. The power to weight ratio might actually be higher. But i doubt a 600 can ever have the power delivery of a liter

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,434 Posts
Also, the newer 600's are much lighter than the older 900's. The power to weight ratio might actually be higher. But i doubt a 600 can ever have the power delivery of a liter
From the motorcyclist online data (hp, torque, quarter mile):

CBR600RR ('06)105.6 @ 13,25044.8 @ 10,75010.87 @ 128.5CBR900RR ('98)111.4 @ 10,00063.7 @ 800010.65 @ 130.2

Hp is close, but torque is still a ways behind. Still neat to look at the development over 8 years though!

Take the motorcyclist data with a grain of salt though, as I also found this:

Sportster 1200 Roadster ('04)674.4 @ 600072.2 @ 375013.02 @ 100.03

Whodda thunk an 04 sportster could crank out pert near 700 ponies! :jawdrop:

:laughing::loser:

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
Welcome to the SBW! :twofinger (<-standard greeting)

The modern 600's have a great power to weight ratio. They're super quick in the twisties and more than quick enough on the straights.

That being said, I went on a group ride last weekend on my ZZR 1100 (ZX-11) and absolutely caned a new Gixxer 600 on the straights. He was fully tucked, going hell for leather and I just rolled on the last 1/4 of throttle and said, "Bye Bye!" :laughing::laughing:

It'll all come down to what you want to do. Twisties? Touring? Bit of both?

There's no reason why you couldn't go back to a ZX. Best bike, ever (okay, so I'm a bit biased).

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Welcome to the SBW! :twofinger (<-standard greeting)

The modern 600's have a great power to weight ratio. They're super quick in the twisties and more than quick enough on the straights.

That being said, I went on a group ride last weekend on my ZZR 1100 (ZX-11) and absolutely caned a new Gixxer 600 on the straights. He was fully tucked, going hell for leather and I just rolled on the last 1/4 of throttle and said, "Bye Bye!" :laughing::laughing:

It'll all come down to what you want to do. Twisties? Touring? Bit of both?

There's no reason why you couldn't go back to a ZX. Best bike, ever (okay, so I'm a bit biased).
Yeah I know the 11 will kill a 600 on the other end but really 0 up to about 120 is all I need for my fix now that I'm fixing to hit the big 4 0.LOL.

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
Yeah I know the 11 will kill a 600 on the other end but really 0 up to about 120 is all I need for my fix now that I'm fixing to hit the big 4 0.LOL.
Hehe, I turn 37 this year and this bike will be in my garage until I can't lift the heavy old bastard off the stand.

As I said, it really all comes down to what you wanna do with your new toy. If you're not going to be doing too much touring, I'd go with a 600. *

*Disclaimer (for all those 600 owners out there about to flame me) - Yes, I know you CAN do big trips on a 600, but not as easilly as on a bigger bike.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hehe, I turn 37 this year and this bike will be in my garage until I can't lift the heavy old bastard off the stand.

As I said, it really all comes down to what you wanna do with your new toy. If you're not going to be doing too much touring, I'd go with a 600. *

*Disclaimer (for all those 600 owners out there about to flame me) - Yes, I know you CAN do big trips on a 600, but not as easilly as on a bigger bike.
I won't be touring but I don't want to buy a bike and want more power a week later.I'm thinking about a 04-07 cbr 1000 now but I still havent made up my mind.Something about that darn triangle shaped instrument gauge that just doesn't fit my eye when I sit on it.I also love the 98-03 r1 too.

·
Premium Member
3,439 Posts
SCOOP, now that I think about it, the '05 Ducati 999 has 140 horsepower. Isn't that right in the range you were looking at? I just so happen to know where you can get one ;)

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Cookie, I have no idea where you came up with that from. A 600 has plenty of power for any road touring duty. The power band is narrower, and it takes a touch better hand to work the clutch, but it isn't that big of a difference. Liter bikes are also pretty easy to stall at a light. The physical size of the bike has very little to do with its displacement. And it is the physical size and the ergonomics that determine the comfort.
Ok, maybe there are some vibe issues. On a highway a 600 might be buzzing along at 10k rpm, where a liter would be at around 6k. But is that really that big of a difference?

Scoop: It sort of depends why you would want a more powerful bike. If you are just addicted to more power, well even a liter bike wont help you. A year later, the new crop will come out, and they will all be more powerful than your model. And open class bikes will have more power still. In other words, if you just want the fastest thing out there, there is no bike that will ever satisfy you, and you will be forced to constantly upgrade. On the other hand, if you think that a 600 will feel weak. you are seriously mistaken. Any 600 I have ever ridden has some very serious go to it. True, liter bikes feel more powerful since cruising rpm is much closer to the power band, so you can just get on the throttle and the bike will pull. on a 600, you have to keep in the upper third of the rev range, which means a great deal of shifting. However once you body is accustomed to dropping 2,3 or ever 4 gears whenever you feel like it, it does not take a great deal of time. Its not like it costs money to shift gears. And getting the best out of a liter bike still requires working the shift lever a great deal. Those close ratio transmissions are there for a reason.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Cookie, I have no idea where you came up with that from. A 600 has plenty of power for any road touring duty. The power band is narrower, and it takes a touch better hand to work the clutch, but it isn't that big of a difference. Liter bikes are also pretty easy to stall at a light. The physical size of the bike has very little to do with its displacement. And it is the physical size and the ergonomics that determine the comfort.
Ok, maybe there are some vibe issues. On a highway a 600 might be buzzing along at 10k rpm, where a liter would be at around 6k. But is that really that big of a difference?

Scoop: It sort of depends why you would want a more powerful bike. If you are just addicted to more power, well even a liter bike wont help you. A year later, the new crop will come out, and they will all be more powerful than your model. And open class bikes will have more power still. In other words, if you just want the fastest thing out there, there is no bike that will ever satisfy you, and you will be forced to constantly upgrade. On the other hand, if you think that a 600 will feel weak. you are seriously mistaken. Any 600 I have ever ridden has some very serious go to it. True, liter bikes feel more powerful since cruising rpm is much closer to the power band, so you can just get on the throttle and the bike will pull. on a 600, you have to keep in the upper third of the rev range, which means a great deal of shifting. However once you body is accustomed to dropping 2,3 or ever 4 gears whenever you feel like it, it does not take a great deal of time. Its not like it costs money to shift gears. And getting the best out of a liter bike still requires working the shift lever a great deal. Those close ratio transmissions are there for a reason.
I don't have to have the fastest thing out there I just don't want to buy a 600 and wish I had got the 1000 a week later which I don't think I would.Let me put it this way.I started with a 600 and moved my way up to a 1100 over several years.While owning the zx 11 I never once thought,Man I wish this thing was faster.I did with the smaller bikes I had.I know the 600's have come so far since the 88 Hurricane I had and that's why I'm trying to get a understanding of just how far they have come comparing it more to the zx 11 than the 600 I had because I know the two 600's aren't comparable.Thanks.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
SCOOP, now that I think about it, the '05 Ducati 999 has 140 horsepower. Isn't that right in the range you were looking at? I just so happen to know where you can get one ;)
I think the Ducati would be aalittle more than I'm willing to spend.I went to a crawfish boil tonight and saw a friend of mine who works with the drug task force and he said that they have a 02 r1 that has 2k miles on it that's been in storage since 02.It hasn't been auctioned off because of some red tape but I will check it out.

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
*puts flame suit back on*

I'd much rather do a trip on my 600 than my "bigger" bike. Torture rack, anyone? :2cents:
Sorry, I was speaking more of something like mine than yours. Being a sport-tourer, my bike's a bit more upright.

Vash, as I said, YES, you can tour on a 600. There is no doubt in the world, though, that something like the ZX-11 definitely does it easier; more upright and enough power to just lope along (70mph @ 4k rpm). Surely, there's a reason they don't make 600cc tourers?

As an aside, I'm surprised that you say litre bikes are easy to stall at light. I've never come close to stalling my bike and, with so much torque down low, I can do 2nd gear take-offs with ease if I want. Perhaps newer litre bikes are different?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts