Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok,
so gettin it down a backraod late for a rendevous a couple of hours away...raining bad, but i have no choice, gotta get there...
running about 80...slight curve to the left...running the older D304(i think) bad rain tire....
slid out and sliding sideways at 80 mph...for a loooong time..id guess 20-30 yards.yanked the bike around..got mad speed wobbles..grabbed the throttle and punched it...by the time i was under control i was inches away from the other side of the road..thank god nothing else was coming..and a few more inches and id be in the ditch...
didnt even stop to clean my pants..no time...did slow down a bit though...

whew...

·
Registered
455 Posts
Big tankslapper cresting a hill near Emory university at approximately 80mph. Very scary...

·
Registered
380 Posts
This one time I was at a bar having a few drinks. I go to the bathroom, come back out, and see this gorgeous girl sitting a few feet away. I decide to approach her; just before I get ready to slide over, my buddy says: "dude, your fly's open." Thank god. This is the closest I've come to crashing and going down in flames. The moral? Never fly without your wingman.:D

·
Registered
698 Posts
Ortega Highway.

Riding my ZX11 down one of the 25 mph carousels on the Lake Elsinore side. Opposing traffic to my left. Guardrail to my right. It was downhill. I had the bike leaned way over at around hmmmmm.....55 - 60 mph I think. The bike started drifting wide so I leaned the bike further. The left footpeg touched down hard, which surprised me. I reacted by standing the bike up. But I wasn't finished going around the carousel, so I started heading for the guardrail. I panicked. I slammed on the front brakes. The ZX11 dove down on its weak forks, the rear end wiggled widely. I recovered mentally and managed to bring myself together to release the brakes, lean the bike back down and look where I wanted to go(instead of stairing at the freakin' guardrail).

Object lesson for me that day was: don't ride beyond what the bike and I are capable of handling.

·
Registered
455 Posts
devils playmate said:

do you live in Atlanta???
I did up until this year. Now I live in the Athens area. I still work in Atlanta though.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Track or Street?

Do you mean on the track or street?

I've come VERY close to crashing on the YSR and managed to save it while racing. (Crashed plenty too) The Dunlops on that bike would let go without any warning, so I was constantly lowsiding while getting on the power (such as it was) coming out of turns. Once, I had the rear slide out about two feet at full lean. I managed to bring it out of the lean slightly and it hooked up so viciously that I nearly had the bars ripped out of my hands (almost highsided). Luckily, all this happened at about 30mph on a wide-open track, so it probably would have been okay even if I HAD crashed. :cool:

On my VTR street bike, had very nearly the same thing happen. Going around a curve on a two lane country road WAY too fast only to find out that not only is the curve off camber, but it's covered with that slick surface you get when the pavement is worn down a lot. The rear end came loose, both feet came off the pegs, I was halfway out of the saddle, and the bike miraculously righted itself as though nothing had happened. :confused: I think it just decided it didn't want to go down despite the hamfisted jackass at the controls. :D

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did up until this year. Now I live in the Athens area. I still work in Atlanta though.
very cool, i grew up in Augusta and lived in Atl for awhile...

Do you mean on the track or street?
either..im just looking for stories..this is the first thread ive started myself...

HERE's ANOTHER....
had an '89 Ninja 600R...we had a great road with a nice "S" curve then a straight that t-boned into a strawberry field (s forever)...

so i came out of the S curve gettin on it hard, didnt realize how fast i was going coming up to the end of the road...locked up the rear tire, slid right off the road, jumped the ditch, landed 90 degrees, fully upright...had to spin my way out of the ditch..haha

·
Registered
766 Posts
coming down the old cabbage hill highway (you all know where that is right?) and tipped my XX into a 25mph righty in second gear. Started rolling on the gas early and when I hit the apex and really started to drive out the ass end slid out about two feet leaving a nice fat darky (according to the guy behind me on his Mille), before it hooked up and tried to highside me to Tokyo. When it pitched me out of the saddle up onto the tank and the windshield the throttle slammed closed and the back started chirping and hopping around as it swung from side to side. Then the front tucked and I thought for sure I wasn't going to save it. Picture it, laying on the tank with your chest over the windshield staring back at the headlight in a tankslapper while the ass end is swinging back and forth. It settled itself out though. I kept going a little further and then stopped to collect my thoughts. The guy on the mille rides up with a huge grin on his face and says, "great save man!" I wanted to hit him. I got a pretty good bruise on my shoulder where it hit the windshield and my goolies smacked the tank pretty good. Other than that, all was well.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I was kickin ass on the backside of Little Tujunga Rd (coming down the side I usually go up) and I roll on the throttle out of a 45-50MPH left hander. Looking ahead, I see a BIG pile of small rocks/gravel right in the middle of the lane. I stand it up nice and easy, and maneuver thru it, but I forgot to look ahead to the next corner. It's a 35 MPH (at a good lean) right. So I squeeze the hell out of the front brake, downshift twice (from 3rd to 1st) and use all the rear brake I have. Needless to say, I locked up the rear wheel. It slid out about 40 degrees and felt like it was going to keep sliding but luckily I got off the brakes enough to right it.

I then proceeded to use the local foliage to cleanse the inside of my Fruit of the Looms.

·
Registered
255 Posts
inanima said:
This one time I was at a bar having a few drinks. I go to the bathroom, come back out, and see this gorgeous girl sitting a few feet away. I decide to approach her; just before I get ready to slide over, my buddy says: "dude, your fly's open." Thank god. This is the closest I've come to crashing and going down in flames. The moral? Never fly without your wingman.:D
That is ****ing classic!:D

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
My first year of riding I took out my FZ600 with a camcorder strapped to the tank to record a top speed run. I make one pass down the looong straight 5 minutes from my house and turn it around to make another. The speedo was showing an indicated 220 kph (around 140mph, although I'm sure that's pretty generous for the FZ) when I noticed I was closing in on a car very quickly. As I rolled off the throttle and closed in on the car in front, something caught my eye. The car was a station wagon with a rear facing seat full of kids. The kids starting waving and pointing at something, which I thought was me until I picked up some movement in the corner of my eye. As I turn to look to see what it is, I see a deer make two quick hops out of the thick reeds in the ditch and come directly across my front wheel. I'm not sure if I froze or if it happened so quickly I didn't have time to react. I didn't even blink, let alone make an attempt to grab the brakes. I look up at the kids, who have a blank stare on their face, and then I turn to look back at the deer to make sure it really happened and that I wasn't hallucinating. The strange part was it didn't scare me or get my heart going, maybe cuz it happened so fast. It just seemed so surreal. Anyways, I hurried home and checked my bike for deer fur, literally!. It was SOOOO close (within millemeters it seemed), I was sure it must have barely grazed the bike. I think its rear legs came over top the front wheel! No hairs, so I ran inside to check to camcorder tape. Halfway through the second speed run the batteries died! PHUCK! That really made it hard for my buddies to beleive the story. Go figure! ;) I've had other encounters with deer, but none near so close.

Other then that incident I've had numerous slick-early-morning road/cold tire slides, and one lurid, dry pavement, rear slide, due to a very worn out tire and some over exuberant riding.

·
Registered
489 Posts
This one time my mates and myself were heading off to a rally. (My bike is the smallest and slowest of the bunch) They have an assortment of bikes gsxr zxr fireblades etc. And little me following on the bandit.
We were making good progress down the road at about 90mph with me at the back. We were heading down a long straight with a s bend at the bottom. I decided to pass them to take the lead for a while so i sped up to pass them all. I went into the s bend at about 110 and the bike started to tank slap i went from lock to lock about 6 times before i regained control. I needed to clean my pants after that one. When i stopped about 20 miles down the road i was still shaking. And continued the run at a more sedate pace

·
Registered
698 Posts
Hysyde said:
......As I turn to look to see what it is, I see a deer make two quick hops out of the thick reeds in the ditch and come directly across my front wheel........It was SOOOO close (within millemeters it seemed), I was sure it must have barely grazed the bike. I think its rear legs came over top the front wheel
I swear, those deer are the dumbest animals around when it comes to crossing the road.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I have several, but this one got me applause:

Construction zone on Hwy 101 south of Santa Barbara about 20 years ago, I was on a Yamaha XS-750 Triple (pretty cool bike), as usual I'm following too closely behind a car, an old junker, when suddenly the engine hood flies open and completely obscured the windshield of the clunker. He slams on his brakes and starts to slide sideways into those mondo huge orange safety barrels.

There's a Caltrans construction crew flipping out, scattering like flies and yours truly comes blazing through, literally bouncing off those barrels and in a tank slapper from hell. The "road" surface is a mixture of fresh asphalt, gravel, grooved concrete, with a nice concrete barrier on the side. Talk about sucking up the seat cover!

I slipped, slid, bounced, hopped and screached to a stop about 3' from the barrier and 6 feet from the back of some paving machine the size of a house. Heart rate slightly faster than a hummingbirds wing beat and eyes the size of pie plates I'm sure....but I didn't fall! :D

After everyone was sorted out, a couple of the Caltrans guys gave me a round of applause for not splattering myself all over thier equipment. I think I also gave them a good chuckle for the expression on my face when I realized I wasn't going to die just yet.

I hate freeways.

·
Premium Member
3,059 Posts
Mine is pretty tame campared to most of these stories..Any way , traveling on a freeway, just after it was built, with those rain groves, Oh by the way, this was in 1972, or 3...riding a 1972 750 Yam, going about a buck 25, all of a sudden I'm in a full on tank slapper, don't know why, so I slowed down a bit..to a respectable 90 mph...See , told ya it was tame:D

·
Registered
108 Posts
My best recovery was on my KZ-1000 project bike. I had just finished breaking in the engine after performing a massive open crankcase surgery and I was ever so anxious to get on the throttle. I found a perfectly straight and clear road and laid on the throttle. I power-shifted into third gear and the engine broke the 130 rear tire loose very quickly. In my moment of panic, I let go of the throttle which threw me into a tank slapper. I finally remembered to get back on the throttle a little, and low and behold, the bike smoothed out.

Lessons learned:

1. Throttle can be your enemy and your friend.

2. 130 rear tires are not enough for 154 RWHP.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I had just rebuilt the top end of one of my RD 350's and was running it through the rev range in all gears in Huntsville, Al. back around 1976 or '77. I had it too lean and the thing siezed on me at about 110 mph or so. The back end tried to pass the front. I'm not sure what I did to save it, but I got it back in a straight line and stopped and called my buddy to bring his pickup.

Another time I was on a GSXR750 and tried to carry too much speed through a left hander. I felt the front end pushing and was already hanging off as much as I could so I tried to get on the throttle to unwieght the front a little. The front felt like it started tucking anyway and I thought I was down. The next thing I knew, I was back up on the tread and still alive and riding. I ran real wide, but got out of it. I have no clue how I saved it...I was busy yelling for my mama when it happened.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I was riding about five miles from the house. Wearing t-shirt and jeans, coming around a curve and was hit in the chest by the biggest bug in the world ( I think it was a pterodactyl ). After I regained myself and leaned over to look in the mirror for blood ( just in case I was shot) I was heading off the road. I got it leaned over just as the rear tire was running over the edge of the pavement. That was the last time I ever road with out my leather jacket, no matter how hot it was.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ok so heres yet another...

doin about 120 down a backroad that i knew very well...i was coming up to an area where there is always transfer trucks crossing the road, but alas, they have to turn right onto the road then an immediate left, so for a few seconds they are on the road moving at 1 mph...
so knowing this i slow down to a respectable 100mph or so...(hehe) usually you can see the trucks trailer above the crest of the hill, this time it was a flatbed trailer so that didnt work..crested the hill..saw the rear of the truck and seriously laid on the brakes..didnt slide but was all squirrely...as the truck made the left, i squeezed by on the right with maybe 6 inches to spare..at about 50-60mph...whew...

lesson learned...somtimes you do need to slow down..haha

1 - 20 of 22 Posts