Sportbike World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
99-01 have old school carbs and 02+ are EFI. This makes a difference to some persons. By performance to you mean handling, power, brakes, weight?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looking for pro and cons of all four. Ive been reading the posts for a few hours now and have come up with low tourqe in the lower RPMs.

·
Registered
525 Posts
All 600's have low torque at lower RPM's. Nothing such as getting the newest or oldest model will make a difference. Brakes are the same for all years of R6. It would be hard to notice a difference on the street or at the track. Between 99 and 05 the R6 lost maybe 10 lbs, which isn't that noticable. Im unsure of HP, but 99 to 05 problably only gained 5 HP. I have heard that the most noticable difference between 99 and 05 is handling, though, Ive always thought the 99 was the best on the track. 05's are suppose to be better. I 've never been on an 05.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the help, it will prob be '06 before i can get money enough to buy one, (paying for school sucks), but im looking now so i dont have to next spring

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Mr.TrevorClever said:
99-01 have old school carbs and 02+ are EFI. This makes a difference to some persons. By performance to you mean handling, power, brakes, weight?
it's actually the 03 and after with FIs.

Adding on, bikes are a little different, from 03-05, the bikes gained most stability compared to 99-02, less nervous front end. 05 received inverted forks and 04 R1 EFI system compared to 03, which had the 02 R1 EFI, which was smoothest in terms of throttle response. most people wouldn't notice much at the street, but I suspect so at the track where even steering dampers are added.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts