Sportbike World banner

What winter weather temperature are you willing to ride in?

• 60 +

Votes: 21 5.9%
  • 59 - 50

Votes: 67 18.7%
  • 49 - 40

Votes: 104 29.1%
  • 39 - 30

Votes: 93 26.0%
  • 29 - 20

Votes: 37 10.3%
  • 19 & below

Votes: 37 10.3%

What winter temperatures are you willing to ride in?

18K views 49 replies 41 participants last post by  rustynut 
#1 ·
11-26-01

I can't go much below 40, but sometimes I will try to go out for a ride in the 30 degree range.

Note temperatures in poll are based on the Fahrenheit scale.

#28 ·
QuickCoCo1 said:
i went with 40~49 degrees, that really never seems to be all that bad!
The problem I have with temps below 50 is that I like to be able to feel my balls just so I know they're not completely gone. At those temps and the 65-70mph I drive, I'd be more afraid of them shrinking into nothingness. Then there's the whole loss of feeling in my hands thing, but that's not as important :D

#29 ·
kanwisch said:
The problem I have with temps below 50 is that I like to be able to feel my balls just so I know they're not completely gone. At those temps and the 65-70mph I drive, I'd be more afraid of them shrinking into nothingness. Then there's the whole loss of feeling in my hands thing, but that's not as important :D
i find that they don't "shrink into nothingness", they seem to crawl back into their cave until its warm enough to come back out.

and DAMN it hurts when they fall out again!:crying:

#30 ·
I think its kind of cool to see some of you southerners and how cold 40 degree's is.. No offense or anything, i know its what your used to and all, but its interesting for a better word... I just rode the other day for about 15 miles, was around 20 degrees with a thicker jacket on and jeans and some thin "mechanics" gloves... My hands did get a little cold but they still functioned so no problems there.. We ride snowmobiles all winter so i guess you get used to sub zero windchills very quick.. Its amazing how well the body adapts to the cold, i mean in fall everyone thinks that 40 degrees is kind of chilly, but during the cold months of the winter, and it hits 40, everyone is outside with just sweatshirts on sweating their asses off, snowmobile with sweaters on, hell, some even venture so far as going with just a bikini.. The worst part of that is not all are women.. :p

So to answer the question, i'd go for a ride 19 or below if i had the desire to pull the bike out and do all that, but i ride a sled any day of the week so its basically the same thing..

#37 ·
I'll go as low as 40 degrees. Here in PA this time of year it's not the cold that will get you it's all the gravel, salt, ice, potholes etc etc that you have to worry about. I won't be out until mid April. By that time the snow will have melted and a few rain storms have flushed the roads.

I should have moved south:crying:

#38 ·
:finger: I live in NC and if it gets below 59 f im out and so is most of my friends and by the way it gets very cold here in the mountains. so either you people are fucking nuts or you just straight up lying. so go fucks yourselves and eat shit.

#39 ·
kidthunder said:
:finger: I live in NC and if it gets below 59 f im out and so is most of my friends and by the way it gets very cold here in the mountains. so either you people are fucking nuts or you just straight up lying. so go fucks yourselves and eat shit.
I never have met a sane person on 2 wheels yet.

I rode to Florida and back last December, not sure what the lowest was, but it never got above 35º on the way down, until we got into Florida, and then it was only around 45-50. It wasn`t the most enjoyable ride, but I`d do it again if I had to. Having those little hand warmer things you get in the hunting section of wal-mart makes it more bareable for your hands/feet, wear lots of layers, and a bandana across your face to keep your neck warm/keep your visor from fogging up. Only saw one other bike the whole way, and it was a BMW, and he looked a hell of alot more comfertable than I did (heated seats, heated grips, nice big wind screen, plastic covering his legs from wind).

I don`t intentionally go out when its that cold, I don`t really enjoy riding when I have to worry about salt/ice/cold pavement-tires.

#40 · (Edited)
I used to be like the 'go fucks yourselves and eats shit' (?) Corky (Life Goes On) from a couple of posts ago, but I'm learning to thicken the blood up here and ride when it's colder than I'd like. I've been riding in 40 degrees, and it's not so bad: lined warm-up pants on underneath my jeans, several layers under a jacket, a turtleneck to keep my neck and head warm (this new Shoei of mine is low on the back of my head, and wind shoots right up it), a thick pair of socks with thick boots, and thick gloves......good to go. Besides, the weather's too cold here most of the year, so you gotta enjoy it while you can.

#41 · (Edited)
Just rolled in. 30 degF. It was fine. Had my solid Dainese jacket with the rest of the leathers and a collared flannel shirt, buttoned at the neck. For steady highway, neck gets covered and electric vest is usually on. Snowmobile gloves, long johns, and good wool socks finish that package off, good well down into the twenties.

#42 ·
snickerz said:
Here in PA this time of year it's not the cold that will get you it's all the gravel, salt, ice, potholes etc etc that you have to worry about.

Amen brother. The raods around here are bad enough in the summertime,.at the the first sign of a salt truck, thats it. Ride'n ain't no fun if you got no traction.

#47 ·
I voted 39-30. Thank God for Gore-Tex, Polartec Fleece, and heated jackets!:D :D :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.