Sportbike World banner

What winter weather temperature are you willing to ride in?

• 60 +

Votes: 21 5.9%
  • 59 - 50

Votes: 67 18.7%
  • 49 - 40

Votes: 104 29.1%
  • 39 - 30

Votes: 93 26.0%
  • 29 - 20

Votes: 37 10.3%
  • 19 & below

Votes: 37 10.3%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
11-26-01

I can't go much below 40, but sometimes I will try to go out for a ride in the 30 degree range.

Note temperatures in poll are based on the Fahrenheit scale.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I will ride in any temperature as long as the roads are clear of snow or frost. It was snowing here last night but the roads were clear so i took the scooter in to work. It is approximatly 25min ride at 65 mph. I dont know how cold the temperature was but the wind chill is the problem. I have just got a new pair of waterproof boots and gloves. and they keep my fingers and toes fairly comfortable. although my fingertips were a bit cold when i got to work.

·
Registered
137 Posts
naefearjustbeer said:
I will ride in any temperature as long as the roads are clear of snow or frost. It was snowing here last night but the roads were clear so i took the scooter in to work. It is approximatly 25min ride at 65 mph. I dont know how cold the temperature was but the wind chill is the problem. I have just got a new pair of waterproof boots and gloves. and they keep my fingers and toes fairly comfortable. although my fingertips were a bit cold when i got to work.
I'm with you
for two years back in '87 ,when I first started to ride,it was my only transportation--rain,sleet,:eek:snow,it didn't matter--I had to get to work. now I've got a better bike,better gear and no excuse:cool:

·
Registered
577 Posts
It's unsesonably cold in Sothern California, 50 F right now, highs in the 60s. It might get into the 40s in a month or so.
It never gets very cold here.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Ok, Who said 19 and below?

I dont care what you say, you're frickin' NUTS or lying!! :eek:

It was 44F this morning and I thought it was the end of the world! :eek: :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm with naefearjustbeer. As long as the roads are clear, I'll ride. Last spring I picked up a new electric jacket liner, to replace the second vest that I have used until it burned out. The first time I used one was on a cool (40's) cloudy day, but it felt like I had the warm sun shining on my back as I rode along.
I have ridden in temperatures down into the 20's, where I have found that I need to leave the vest plugged in as I stop to refuel, because if I turn the vest off and unplug it, the cold blood from my arms and legs, returns to my body core, and I am shivering within a couple of minutes after stopping.
Electrics are the way to go.:D

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I'll ride down to 29 degrees at the very worst. (And only if I have to). Otherwise 35 is my cutoff. And yes it does get that cold here in the mornings. Dressing in layers is the key to riding in cold temps....

·
Registered
42 Posts
It was 15 degrees out two weeks ago I rode too work just for the hell of it,actually just because i knew I would the only nut out there.Living in new england you have to like the cold.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
As long as it's clear and dry I can ride in about any temperature.(I may ride a length of time,however,determined by the degree of cold:D:D)
Ask me to tell ya about my dual sport riding while stationed on Alaska sometime!!:D:)

JIM

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
katana600 said:
As long as it's clear and dry I can ride in about any temperature.(I may ride a length of time,however,determined by the degree of cold:D:D)
Ask me to tell ya about my dual sport riding while stationed on Alaska sometime!!:D:)

JIM
What extra gear do you use when in the below 35 range? The only thing that really bothers me in the cold is my hands. What kind of gloves do you sport in the cold?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'll ride to work in any weather. It usually doesn't get much below 0 celcius here (Melb, Aust).
The wind chill really gets to you. Layers on the body and feet are fine but it is hard to find the right pair of gloves.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
mongers1 said:
I'll ride to work in any weather. It usually doesn't get much below 0 celcius here (Melb, Aust).
The wind chill really gets to you. Layers on the body and feet are fine but it is hard to find the right pair of gloves.
Mongers1, what gloves do you normally use in real cold weather?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I road regularly this winter down to 30 and maybe a little lower with nothing fancy on just a good set of leathers over sweats. but with the snow and ice here in NY this week last weekend was my last until all the salt and sand is washed off. hopefully late March or april I can't wait. Sadly I'll be putting my bike up on jacks tomorrowand sare at it alot.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just noticed that everyone has a picture of their bikes here. That gives me an excuse to delay packing my bike away I hope I get apicture soon here.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Actually, on my daily commute I pass a bl--dy great silo with a clock/temp display on top. Often gets down to 0c ( errr 32F ? ) in winter. Gets to 40c in summer though.

I have 2 words to say to you .... electric grips.

I run Kushitani summer gloves all year round if its dry.

:)

ps : naked bike, no fairing

·
Registered
43 Posts
I used to have a clock thermometer on my bike and have seen it read 9 deg in Flagstaff. That was the coldest I have ever been. Had to stop and thaw my hands twice as I rode up from PHX. I was even wearing a 2mm neopreen long sleeve shirt under a sweatshirt and leather jacket. But after 140 miles with the temps continuously dropping I was way cold. have ridden in the snow and at elevations above 12K ft. Not my idea of prefect weather but it can be done.
MATT

1 - 20 of 50 Posts