Sportbike World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready to start looking at my first bike. My question is what should I look for when I go and look at used bikes. Are there some basic guide lines and questions that I can follow? Thanks.

P.S. The MSF course is great!!

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Search on these forums and even google for something like "buying used bike." There are quite a few comprehensive guides written up on the subject. The most important thing however is to make sure that the frame/forks/etc are straight and not bent in any way.

·
Resident Smart Ass!
3,933 Posts
Cracks in frame I think is a big one. See if you take the plastics off and look under them to see the whole frame.

Start it obviously, listen if the engine sputters etc.

If you go through a private party odds are they are not going to be 100% up front about how fast they have had it. See if they will let you take it to a reputible <sp?> shop to have them check it out.

:2cents:

·
Registered
414 Posts
I would look for cracks or re-welds in the frame. Epecially in the steering head. Check for smoke when revving the bike up. Also check if the forks are leaky.

·
Premium Member
3,439 Posts
Kinda o/t, kinda not...at a local new/used dealership there was a pretty sweet CBR 954. Upon further inspection, it was obvious that the previous owner was quite fond of burnouts judging by the buildup of rubber on the undertail. Just another sign of a mistreated bike i suppose.

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,434 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts