Sportbike World banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My mom is aginst motorcycles because my aunt got hit in the face by a flying inSest and crashed. Now she has a steel plate in her head......... But she was not wearing a helemt or armor. How could I get my mom to be ok when me having a motorcycle? I'm not very experienced on a motorcycle but I am looking into MSF.
I might be able to get a nice Kawasaki 440. I forgot the year. I am also wondering if it is a go bike to start on. Thanks

·
Strength and Honor
6,143 Posts
I recall a bunch of threads like this about 4 months ago, but don't see them. My recollection was that unless you're dependent on her (i.e. you're under 18), basically its tough break for her. Do what you want.

If you're under 18, its a tougher situation. If you have a negotiating kind of relationship, try to get her to allow it if you take the MSF SAFETY course and wear full gear. Then offer, as a followup, three seasons in, to take the Advanced MSF SAFETY course. Basically, there isn't much that can be done about some parents, so it depends on the kind of relationship you have with them.

EDIT: TGuns, you spelling Nazi :p

·
Registered
197 Posts
HA! sorry I seriously couldn't resist that one...

Uhhh, hey how about you offer to take your mom to the MSF course with you? Either she can watch you out on the pavement practicing safe riding skills, or if she's up for it, invite her to join up and see for herself. Might be worth a try.

Or, you can do what I did and just say "hey, mom and dad I bought a motorcycle" and watch what happens. good luck, and sorry for the speeeeling crack (again it was just too hard to resist).

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
lol sorry about that it was 4:00 am over here when I wrote that. I can't spell worth a sh*t to begin with. btw I mean insect

·
Registered
197 Posts
yeah man it was 8AM when I posted that and I was just being a d*ck. now its after lunchtime and I'm cool, sorry... any luck with the situation?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yea alittle closer everyday I've been talking about armor and the diff. between a street bike and a harley. Like how it is easier to turn a street bike than a big bike. Plus about MSF too.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
hahah it's still not correctly spelled. :laughing: Sorry but that's kinda funny. InSest eh?

lol anyway.. try to tell her in a diplomatic and tactful way that she is overreacting especially since you will (at least, you should be!) be wearing a full face helmet thus the only problem with getting hit by a incest (whoops, insect* ;)) is the annoyance of wiping it off your face shield. But she's probably just being a mom and using that as an excuse for her not wanting you to get a bike.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Have to admit that I really do not know how you can talk your Mom into agreeing on a m/c.

If an aunt went down on a m/c some yrs ago, to be that severely injured, there would have been no such things as the crash helmets now avaliable & so much more advanced as what we used in competition in late 40s, let alone the protective riding gear. I know for years I never wore gloves, no more then a pair of jeans or war surplus army battle dress trousers, some formof a shirt, fabric work jacket & pair of work boots. Head might be covered with a baret or tweed cap.

Yet here I am almost 75 yrs of age with this being the start of my 59th yr of riding along with just 42 yrs of basically dirt comp though a few yrs or road racing. The agony of it all is that a HOME ACCIDENT simply haulted me from dirt comp & I had to put all my riding into the hwys in these mtns. NOT a m/c accident. I have two shot knees due to my line of work & not from m/cing.

·
Registered
892 Posts
i had a similar problem with my wife, who is an ICU/CCU nurse (intensive care unit/ Critial Care Unit) so she only saw all the BAD that came from motorcycle riding. What I did was go and show her the bike have her sit on it and since she is a woman she will like all the pretty colours lol. anyway were only like 25 so it may not work on ur mom. but the MSF courses are a must espicially if you have someone concered about your safety. Depending on where you plan on riding (track, or street) there are different dangers to it. Probably the street is slightly more dangerous ONLY because you cant tell what those 4 wheel mobiles are gonna do, but laying it down at 150 isn't much fun either. I think that having ur mom go to the courses with you as mentioned eairlier is a great idea. Plus maybe she will agree to some rules in the begginngin. Like no freeways or passengers for the first litle while, thats what i did. once she sees that you do just fine i'm sure she'll come around.

Besides ur aunt only got hurt because she was riding stupid (no offense) riding with a helmet is a must! and not only a helmet gloves, jacket and pants are also part of the gear too! wiping out on my bike was the safest crash i have ever been in (when ur all by ur self on the street that is). oh and one more thing, riding a motor cycle has made me a way better driver all around cause u train ur self to be way more observant and it helps when driving a car, everyone should ride, we would have way less accidents.

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
Meat_Shield said:
...everyone should ride, we would have way less accidents...
Noooooooooo!!!!!!

I'd hate to see some of the brain-dead cage drivers on bikes!!

Less accidents? uh-uh. Just less cage-responsible accidents.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
cookeetree said:
Noooooooooo!!!!!!

I'd hate to see some of the brain-dead cage drivers on bikes!!

Yea but they all woulda high sided into a ditch by now!

·
Registered
892 Posts
lol! ya your probably right...

maybe they'd just hit eachother and do us all a favor!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts