Sportbike World banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to have a pipe for my 99 R6. My conditions are that I am not a track rider, so I don't need a track system. I like the noise of a pipe but not so excessive that I can't leave for work in the morning. Also I want more power in the bottom and a little in the mid-range, again I ride on the street. Now don't get me wrong I love speed, especially out of the turns. I have been told that slip-ons are a waste of money. Yet full systems require jetting and tuning (X-tra $300). I need some advice :cool:

------------------
If they have four wheels, they will not see you.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
I think brand comes down to personal choice. Mine is Two Brothers.

As far as noise, any aftermarket system weather slip-on or full system is going to be loud and will bug your neighbors if you leave early like I do.

And a slip on is not a waste of money at all. You loose weight first of all, you gain look and sound, and you do gain a bit of power from it.

If you're not going to the track and you dont want to bother with the expense and hastle of rejetting, just choose a nice slip on and be done with it. :)

------------------
Kyle J.-
email:[email protected]

·
Registered
328 Posts
Who told you slip-ons are a waste of money? My guess is someone who was trying to sell you a full system!

A slip-on would fit your needs perfectly. There are many nice ones for the R6: Yoshimura, Akropovic, Two Brothers, Micron, etc.

Go for it!

------------------
"If you want to keep working here, Son --- stay off the drugs..."

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your tips. I let the sales guy know that I knew he was going for the extra cost of the full system and asked why I should go full system. As usual they have no answer and conviently have to take a call. :rolleyes: "Whatever" I think I will go with the RS-3 Carbon 'Fibre' slip-on and have the pilot screws adjusted. I had alot of trouble with the full exhaust on my other bike anyway.

------------------
If they have four wheels, they will not see you.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I wish I could remember where I read this article- but I recall a mag somewhere trying to fit an aftermarket pipe to an R6. They tested quite a few looking for more power, but concluded that the stock pipe was actually making the most power. Whether these were just slip ons or full systems, I can't recall- I believe they were just talking about slip ons. I do remember the article saying that Yamaha had done their homework on developing such an efficient system for this bike, when most stock factory bikes- in the past at least- have benefitted from slip ons. If I can dig up the article, I'll bring it to your attention.

Of course, a slip on will give the bike a completely different "feel" by way of the change in the exhaust note- so that might be worth it alone. I'd say go for a slip-on anyways.

'cane

------------------

·
Registered
525 Posts
Get a Race slip-on, seriously. You can't tell a difference in decibel level between race and any other aftermarket...unless you're a dog. I got 3hp with no jetkit, and stock weight 8lbs, yosh slip-on was 5lbs roughly.

Trevor

------------------

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Take a look at the person that told you that a slip-on is a waste of money... he probably has one shoved up his arse. :eek:

IMO a full system would be a waste of money for what you are wanting and considering the quality of the OEM header. :)

I have always liked the look and sound of the Vance and Hines cans on Yamahas. :cool:

------------------
Ride Hard!

John

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I also recommend you get a (race) type. They just sound better with more of a throatie sound. (Spellcheck!!!)
Like the engine has more balls.

I don't like the look of the D&D pipe but it is one of the best sounding pipes I have heard on the R6.

Hope this helps!!!!

------------------
Dan F4 Red/Black

·
Registered
292 Posts
I put the 2 Bros. slip-on on my r1 and love it. I also didn't want to sacrifice midrange and mainly wanted the look, sound and weight savings of a slip-on. The TBR can looks and sounds the best to me. Very deep bass tones with no rattles or "shriekiness". It is pretty damn loud though.

Here are a couple of pics:

I like the "stealth fighter" look of the C4 carbon pipe. They wind it with one single carbon fiber filament to get that look. It changes depending on the angle of light hitting it. The X-Metal looks pretty trick too.

·
Registered
13 Posts
From your riding style that you describe, go with a race slip-on, you will get the sound, look and loss of weight that you will love, but if you don't want as much sound go with a normal baffel. I have a yosh race slip-on and it works great.

------------------

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I also have a Yoshimura Slip-on for my bike. I bought the race/competition baffle instead of the normal baffle. It sounds a helluva lot better that way. Not too loud, but great tone and screams when you get on it. I have a buddy with an R6 who also has a Yoshimura Slip-on and he loves it. Good luck with your choice.

------------------
2000 CBR600F4
Piped, Jetted, totally trick...
Keep the Rubber side down
my Bruthas AND Sistas!!!

[This message has been edited by CBR Brutha (edited June 15, 2000).]

·
Registered
19 Posts
You should still consider rejetting even if you only install a slip-on since you are still drastically changing the exhaust flow from a stock can. I got almost 9% hp gain from adding a Muzzy carbon slip on and rejetting. Since I don't plan on racing, I didn't bother changing the stock headers which are already really good. No reason to unless you want to shave weight or you ride almost entirely above 10K rpms. Not likely on the street.

------------------
"It's easier to get forgiveness than permission."

·
Registered
8 Posts
Not to get away from the topic a bit, but I also have ordered a 2Bros x-metal pipe and when I talked to the company they said that it wasnt necessary to re-jet. I would like to order a jet kit and install it but i don't know much about rejetting a moto. Is it easy, or should I take it to a shop and have someone else do it?? How much should I expect to pay and where is a good place to go?? Any info is MUCH appreciated :) thx

------------------

·
Registered
19 Posts
Rejetting requires removal of your carb rack. If you're not familiar with carb work, it's probably not a good idea to install it yourself. Anyway, to do it properly requires tuning on a dyno. You might want to take it to a local performance shop and have them do it. Make sure they have a dyno so they can do an initial run, then after the install, do another run so you can see what kind of gains you get, if any. If you're shop is worth their salt, you'll probably be looking at spending anywhere from $250-400 for the entire job. It's worth it if they're good, a waste of money if they're not.

------------------
"It's easier to get forgiveness than permission."

·
Registered
34 Posts
Another thing that I haven't seen mentioned is the oil changes. I don't know where the filter is on the r-6, but I had a '95 gsxr-750 and if I would have had a full system, the headers would have to have been removed everytime I changed the oil.

------------------

·
Registered
328 Posts
The oil filter on the R6 is a piece of cake. It's on the left side of the engine, facing outward, not even close to the pipe...

(Makes you wonder why they don't ALL use this design!)

------------------
"If you want to keep working here, Son --- stay off the drugs..."

·
Registered
10 Posts
Heh its just a canadian idea but my buddy has the 00 R6 and he went with the Hindle full race 20" oval can and got total 4 over all hp and it no longer dropped off at red line (he gained 10 hp at redline) now it pulls 13000 and holds its power
VERY light and since its canadian its gonna be cheap as hell for you yanks to pick up and if its not then email me and I can hook you up cheap

------------------
If you are not on a gixxer what are you waiting for??

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a Bandit 1200, with a Yosh RS-3 street slip-on. It gave a huge power increase 13hp, and is very mellow, until you open it up.

------------------

1 - 19 of 19 Posts