Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering what octane fuel is best for my bike. It's a 2000R6, stock. I believe MOM says to just run regular (87?), but have heard comments saying it runs best on premium (93?). Also, would the octane level have any effect on occasional backfiring during deceleration (on decents)? Any experts/jokers out there that can shed some light on this for me? Thx.

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
Do not run low octane in a high performance sportbike motor. Running low octane can cause detonation which will destroy a motor. Definitely run 93 or better. It burns slower which is better and really isn't that much more expensive for what yuo get from it. 87 octane if far too low. As far as effecting shut throttle 'popping' you will probably find that you'll get that anyway. To get rid of that you need very welled tuned carbs and even then it may still do it. This I wouldn't sweat, it's not going to hurt anything. If you are talking about a nasty angry back fire then I would get the carbs sync'd.

[Edited by chris_y2k_r1 on 10-24-2000 at 08:19 AM]

G

·
nodogrules said:
I am wondering what octane fuel is best for my bike. It's a 2000R6, stock. I believe MOM says to just run regular (87?), but have heard comments saying it runs best on premium (93?). Also, would the octane level have any effect on occasional backfiring during deceleration (on decents)? Any experts/jokers out there that can shed some light on this for me? Thx.
My mom doesn't tell me what fuel to use, She tells me not to ride at all :D

A 90-93 octane should be the best bet for your bike, You could go higher but it wouldn't make a difference..

You said it was stock , I know , But Is there a slip on on it ? Did you do anything to it ??

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
slip? bought used but appears stock

Not exactly sure what you mean by slip...everything appears stock with no mods....I bought used w/3k miles on it, appeared mint.

G

·
It shouldn't be backfiring

:D

Where is the bike from ? If its from california and you live in Mexico city ,Mexico. The bike was setup for California. What i am trying to say is elevation changes can cause sputtering and backfiring ..

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
just popping

chris_y2k_r1 said:
Do not run low octane in a high performance sportbike motor. Running low octane can cause detonation which will destroy a motor. Definitely run 93 or better. It burns slower which is better and really isn't that much more expensive for what yuo get from it. 87 octane if far too low. As far as effecting shut throttle 'popping' you will probably find that you'll get that anyway. To get rid of that you need very welled tuned carbs and even then it may still do it. This I wouldn't sweat, it's not going to hurt anything. If you are talking about a nasty angry back fire then I would get the carbs sync'd.

[Edited by chris_y2k_r1 on 10-24-2000 at 08:19 AM]
Thanks for the info. Yes, just the occasional popping on longer descents during decel prior to entering turns.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
backfiring on decents

Squidwannabe said:

Where is the bike from ? If its from california and you live in Mexico city ,Mexico. The bike was setup for California. What i am trying to say is elevation changes can cause sputtering and backfiring ..

Bike bought originally in GA, I bought in GA from same shop that sold new. Not significant elevation change (but is it enough to cause the backfire?....at the top of the gaps maybe 3,000-5,000 ft above SL, around 1,000-1,500 above SL at the bottom.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
also, shop advice

Squidwannabe said:

Also, just had 4k maint done on it, no carb sync'ing, seemed to run smooth (except at idle a little rough sometimes, which I've heard is common with the R6).

Shop said the occasional backfire on decel was common w/jap bikes, due to them being set up a little lean to meet emissions requirements.

·
Registered
192 Posts
They are right about the bikes being set up to run lean. The factory does that to pass emission testing and it can cause some backfiring on deceleration.

As to fuel type, this has been an ongoing topic. :) My owners manual says to use at least 87 octane in my ZR. I use 89 octane "plus" fuel. It seems to run a little smoother than with 87 and I haven't noticed any pinging. Your R6 may need 91 or 92 octane. See what works best for you.

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
My R1 does it too, so yeah they are right. I wouldn't worry about it, however, do run high octane. It's a good thing.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
premium it is.....

chris_y2k_r1 said:
My R1 does it too, so yeah they are right. I wouldn't worry about it, however, do run high octane. It's a good thing.
Excellent, so premium it will be, which is good, since that's what I've been using since I got her.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Thanks!

Ya! Everyone spend the extra money on Premium, it gives me job security and keeps my stock prices up! ;) I appreciate it! .....and by the way, You should use ONLY premium in your cage too! It will give you lotsa extra horsepower and make your A/C work better too! And for that matter, run your A/C all the time, regardless of temp., that way you can use up that old gas that would otherwise sit in your tank and uh,... Gel, ya, thats it! Gel! :rolleyes:

Did I ever tell you guys about the syringe behind the handle of the gas pump?????

·
Squid
2019 Ducati Monster 1200s
813 Posts
Re: Thanks!

riverrunner_2000 said:
Did I ever tell you guys about the syringe behind the handle of the gas pump?????
I don't think so, but are you talking about that breakout of HIV infected needles stuck to the back of the handles?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Kyle;

I never said he needed to run premium. I said I run 89 octane as MY bike runs smoother and doesn't ping on it. I have run 87 octane gasoline and it does work, but my particular model just seems to run better with a higher octane fuel.

As to cages, well it also depends. My old BMW needed premium. It would ping and run rough on either 87 or 89 octane fuel. My Toyota wagon runs fine on either 89 or 87, so it depends on what I want to put in at the time. Haven't run premium at all in its 98,000+ miles...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
the debate continues

rponiarski said:
Kyle;

I never said he needed to run premium. I said I run 89 octane as MY bike runs smoother and doesn't ping on it. I have run 87 octane gasoline and it does work, but my particular model just seems to run better with a higher octane fuel.

As to cages, well it also depends. My old BMW needed premium. It would ping and run rough on either 87 or 89 octane fuel. My Toyota wagon runs fine on either 89 or 87, so it depends on what I want to put in at the time. Haven't run premium at all in its 98,000+ miles...

I recant on my decision to run 93 all the time. The last tankful I used 89 and it seemed to run fine. I don't think I'll go all the way to 87, though.

Regarding cages (and newer FI bikes), it's my understanding that fuel injection systems automatically adjust to eliminate pinging, regardless of which grade fuel is used. Of course, this isn't the case for most of our bikes, which more or less just pour gas into the carbs. I've run everything from 87 to 93 in my car since it was new (94 toyota celica gt), and have never had a problem with pinging. I've run nothing but 87 since about 95.

It would be interesting to see what the OM says on bikes that now have FI.....and what those owners have found.....

Please keep in mind that my comments are based on what I've heard, which hasn't been from any expert on FI, so I may not have a clue.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts