Sportbike World banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first "mods" are to check the chain and tires. Also check the brakes.

next bring it to a reputable dyno shop and get a baseline dyno run.

Dont even THINK about any performance mods before you do these initial things.

------------------
Fear Green.

[This message has been edited by GreenNinja (edited September 12, 2000).]

·
Registered
23 Posts
I bought the bike from a dealer and everything was checked out and everything was 100%. I need to replace the back tire since I burned it up. I am actually getting the bike Dyno'd tomorrow. The bike is in mint condition no scratches oil leaks or anything. Thanks

Alain

------------------
96 Ninja ZX7R
98 Mustang GT

·
Registered
23 Posts
I bought a 96 Ninja ZX7R with 5000 on it about a 2 months ago. The bike has a complete exhaust system. I am not sure if it has a jet kit on it or not. I want to start modding it but don't know where to start. I have always modded cars but no bikes. Thanks

Alain

------------------
96 Ninja ZX7R
98 Mustang GT

S

·
0 Posts
Wassup!!

If you are a poser like that Smokin' Joe Guy , Get a double bubble windscreen, matching colored footpegs all the poser gear stuff.. ;)

------------------
If somebody sounds as though they might know more than you, talk more and louder.

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 96ZX7R:
(snip) I am not sure if it has a jet kit on it or not. (snip)
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

think factory configuration 10
www.factorypro.com

thank me later.

------------------
Tony

the views and opinions expressed by tony (cbrf2boy) are the ramblings of a total idiot. sbw.com, it's administrators, moderators, and members don't necessarily agree with and are not responsible for anything this idiot has to say.

for more ramblings try cbrf2boy

·
Registered
23 Posts
I dropped my bike off at dealer tonight and they told me that when they serviced the bike that they changed my airfilters so he would assume since it had stock air filters that is wasn't jetted. They said that I need to get 7500 mile service done on it so when they do the valves I will just tell them to do jet kit. I am getting bike dyno'd tomorrow to see what it base lines at before I do anything. Thanks for help

ALain

------------------
96 Ninja ZX7R
98 Mustang GT

·
Registered
192 Posts
The bike will be fast enough as is. The 7R has always been a very fast machine. First hing I would suggest is work on your skills, with a track day, riding school or even just the MSF Experienced Riders course. That will give you more and better speed increases than all the jet kits out there.

Take care and enjoy your great bike!

------------------
Richard M. Poniarski
'00 Kawasaki ZR750F2, a.k.a. ZR-7
AMA #674623
NY S666C
ZR7OA #3

S

·
0 Posts
Good call Richard!!!

------------------
If somebody sounds as though they might know more than you, talk more and louder.

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
i agree about track time and all of that, but a jet kit is wise investment in your motorcycle's overall health. stock jetting is a little lean, a full exhaust'll usually make that worse. jetting is a real good idea.

i'd jet it now and do some track time next summer. check out www.teampromotion.com

------------------
Tony

the views and opinions expressed by tony (cbrf2boy) are the ramblings of a total idiot. sbw.com, it's administrators, moderators, and members don't necessarily agree with and are not responsible for anything this idiot has to say.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've been riding sport bike for about 4 yrs now and feel real comfortable with my bike. I just can't afford the cost of what they charge for going to track and all the safety gear. I think I will just do the jet kit next month along with my scheduled maint. Thanks again guys

Alain

------------------
96 Ninja ZX7R
98 Mustang GT

S

·
0 Posts
A day at the track is what 200 $ ?? I can go here for that .... I dont think you need full leathers but ask cbrf2boy, I think Richard is dead on on his sugg. 70% rider 30 % bike .

------------------

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
if you join teampromotion, as a member, you get $70 in motion money for cornerworking. pre-entry for tpm events at pocono are usually 160 plus 15 for rain insurance. so you work two days and ride for $35 the third. join now, work the 16th and october 13th, and you can ride the awesome fast pocono north course (see-- north course from tony's view to hear my view of the course and my painfully slow @$$ on the track).

they rent leathers and i think boots (webpage has details, or you can e-mail [email protected], tell barb #725 sent ya). you don't have to have boots as long as you have over-the-ankle shoes.

you can get decent gloves for under $100, great ones are 170-225 (held). i paid $50 for my boots 4 years ago used.

i think leather rental is cheap from tpm, like $60, but used leathers can be had for 200 or so, that's what i sold mine for (check out newenough.com). you'll need a back protector if you move into the faster groups.

i rode sportbikes for 4 year before doing track days, i got noticably quicker doing track days than i did from a pipe, shock, a jet kit or anything else.

after having the ms thing, i'll be doing more track days to re-learn how to ride.

you can get control riders to help you and for 30 bucks/session they have chatterbox rides, where a control rider will talk to you as you ride about what you're doing. and that's also cheaper than a dyno run.

btw, really cheap is the cost of the msf experienced rider's course, in pa the only cost is keeping your bike legal, which you should be doin' anyway.

------------------
Tony

[This message has been edited by cbrf2boy (edited September 13, 2000).]

·
Registered
77 Posts
On a serious note, I am assuming by your wording that you are interested in performance/hp mods. If that's the case, just about everyone starts with exhaust in one way or another. If you are considering any other mods, you may want to think about a more comfortable seat, steering damper, gearing, or cosmetics.

If you are a big time Poser like myself (and Squidwannabe, although he won't admit it), I can hook you up with my old Stoppie training wheel set that comes with the adjustable mirror.

------------------

·
Registered
77 Posts
You just could not resist could you Squidwannabe? Jealous bast*rd! ;)

Definitley do the Double Bubble in light green, polish the frame and clearcoat it in gold, spray paint your footpegs and your rims to match the frame, drop the bike 3 inches in the front for a more aggressive stance, and run you mouth to everyone about how fast you are. :cool:

It might not be the prettiest bike around, but you'll add 20-30HP this way.

------------------

S

·
0 Posts
LOL!!!

Don't forget the NO FEAR stickers and Neon lights!!!!!!

------------------

Adam

P

·
0 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 96ZX7R:
The bike has a complete exhaust system.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not trying to be an equine posterior (horse's ass), but I haven't heard of any instance where a full exhaust was installed without the necessity of rejetting, so, unless it's not running properly, I'd have to bet that it has been rejetted. You do mean aftermarket, right?

One mod to consider that I didn't see mentioned yet is stainless brake lines.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

------------------
Pete
"Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul."

[This message has been edited by Pete (edited September 14, 2000).]

1 - 16 of 16 Posts