Sportbike World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
943 Posts
Lt Gustl it seems that the first post gives the answer...
Shame because it's a very good trivia.
I would say it looks like a special based on a Suzuki RG500 or Yamaha RD500 if I didn't know :)

Aris

·
Registered
120 Posts
I guess I should have remembered it being in a popular mag that I am subscribed to less than a year ago, although even then I wouldn't expect a quick answer, very good!!

I would not have known what it is either, had I not already knew it,:) twin crank engines are my favorite, I don't know why.

Oh, and for all you smart guys;)

see if you can answer the question I have in the Honda forum, http://www.sportbikeworld.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=28612

"Why did honda have 18 inch rear wheels on some of it's racers, is there any advantage to using a larger diameter rear wheel? Does it help tire life or turning, or rotating inertia or something, what was hondas intent?

I have been trying to find information on this but haven't been able to. I am also curious about them reversing the crank rotation on the v fours and what the motivation was."

all I have gotten so far is complaints about difficulty in getting tires, which anyone without 17 inch wheels know too well.

·
Registered
866 Posts
hey lt. gust, I have no idea the answers to your questions, but I can offer theories or thoughts that I can think of.

first the 18 inch tire. I know they didn't last to long, my thinking is maybe they did this to change the rotational mass, rims are light and gobbs of rubber are heavy. so if they use an 18 inch rim and a lower profile tire wouldn't it decrease the rotational mass? if I'm wrong tell me, but when I look at pictures of guys racing my bike back then they don't look like they are leaning into the corners much, it looks like they are more concerned with the upcoming staights then the twisties, remember these are just thoughts.

ok as far as the v-4 goes, well there are several things I can think of, the first is better performance, see many engines are designed to run at peak efficency, not peak power, I have seen on several car engines before that if they add new cams and reverse the rotation they can get as much as an additional 15-25% power, but the cost is very high, on a bike it would be cheaper. my second thought would be maybe they wanted to move the running gear to the other side of the bike for better wieght distribution or to make clearence for an exhaust or something, what do you think?

·
Registered
120 Posts
unfortunately I don't know the answer myself, I may have to ask Honda racing themselves, since I am pretty curious. but when I do find out it will be it's own trivia,

·
Registered
373 Posts
Regarding the 18" rear tire question. One thing I can think of is they were trying to reduce "lock-up".

16" front tires were also used but tended to "lock-up" more often.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts