Sportbike World banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kinda hypothetical question, so I'm not sure which section it belongs to. Recently we're seeing newer bikes going back to side exhaust, using slim and shorter GP designs for greater cornering ability. But is it because underseat exhausts are now considered inefficient? They're heavier, but with all the extra bends and pipes, is there a loss of power compared to side exhausts? GP exhausts help the bike attain low CG, I'm sure we discussed this here before, but does low CG make the bike more flickable or would it also limit maximum lean angle compared to high CG? Underseat exhausts were promoted under the name of mass-centralization, so manufacturers don't care about that anymore?

·
Registered
577 Posts
Z_Fanatic said:
Kinda hypothetical question, so I'm not sure which section it belongs to. Recently we're seeing newer bikes going back to side exhaust, using slim and shorter GP designs for greater cornering ability. But is it because underseat exhausts are now considered inefficient? They're heavier, but with all the extra bends and pipes, is there a loss of power compared to side exhausts? GP exhausts help the bike attain low CG, I'm sure we discussed this here before, but does low CG make the bike more flickable or would it also limit maximum lean angle compared to high CG? Underseat exhausts were promoted under the name of mass-centralization, so manufacturers don't care about that anymore?
puting the muffler lower will lower the cg and make a bike turn faster, but most people wont notice the difference. putting the muffler under the seat might make a bike a little more aerodynamic and give it 2 or 3 mph on the top end, useless on the street, this is just my opinion, but i think they (manufacturers) put them there because it's trendy, there is no power advatage to puting the up under the seat and there is no loss either. It might make working on the bike easyer because you don't have to yank mufflers off to get to things.:2cents:

·
Registered
462 Posts
I've also read somewhere the putting the muffler under the seat greatly reduces the risk of a careless passenger accidentally frying their leg on a hot muffler. I can't speak from experience, but that's what i've read.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts