Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it just me or do you guys get bothered as much as I do when people ask you what kind of bike you ride? It seems like everyone who doesn't own a bike who sees your helmet or gear, feels the need to bother you. Or, they feel it necessary to ask you a lot of questions about your bike. Especially if they see anything wrong with it(scratch, dirt, etc.).

I love chit chatting with other riders but people who don't ride who want to ask a million questions bother me. And they all seem like they know-it-all.

·
Registered
7,448 Posts
Instead of letting them bother you, make stuff up about your bike or make up a fictitious model. Have some fun with 'em.

The ones that crack me up are the Einsteins who, seeing you dressed in leathers and carrying a helmet, will ask, "Do you ride a bike?"

I just tell em, "Nah, I'm just a bad driver..."

·
Registered
452 Posts
The ones that crack me up are the Einsteins who, seeing you dressed in leathers and carrying a helmet, will ask, "Do you ride a bike?"

ha haha :laughing:

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
Instead of letting them bother you, make stuff up about your bike or make up a fictitious model. Have some fun with 'em.

Now that's funny

·
Strength and Honor
6,144 Posts
I don't get it too much. People are surprised to see someone in gear and I guess it leaves them speechless. The others ask what kind of bike I ride and I give them very specific details, which usually derails the entire conversation so there's none of that nonsense.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

ROFL. I have to remember this.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Is it just me or do you guys get bothered as much as I do when people ask you what kind of bike you ride? It seems like everyone who doesn't own a bike who sees your helmet or gear, feels the need to bother you. Or, they feel it necessary to ask you a lot of questions about your bike. Especially if they see anything wrong with it(scratch, dirt, etc.).

I love chit chatting with other riders but people who don't ride who want to ask a million questions bother me. And they all seem like they know-it-all.
Sooo annoying. Some punk kid (18-19 maybe) was looking at my bike over the weekend and immediately starts pointing out what's wrong with it (yeah, so it's been dropped, so what). So I assume this is going somewhere productive and ask him if he rides. He gives me this shocked look and says yeah. As it turns out he has no bike, never has, no license but he HAS ridden his friends 1000 one time before. Then proceeds to tell me how his friends four wheelers would 'dog that THING'. :cussing;

·
Strength and Honor
6,144 Posts
:laughing: A four-wheeler?

Don't be insecure about your ride. It can't be more scratched up than mine and as far as I'm concerned, battle scars freakin' rock. The kiddies (~20 yo's) I pass wearing my gear are probably thinking silly things too, but they don't likely ride at all either.

There is a jealousy component. And remember their mommies and daddies are often funding them, so they have little ground to stand on.

·
Registered
867 Posts
:laughing: A four-wheeler?

Don't be insecure about your ride. It can't be more scratched up than mine and as far as I'm concerned, battle scars freakin' rock. The kiddies (~20 yo's) I pass wearing my gear are probably thinking silly things too, but they don't likely ride at all either.

There is a jealousy component. And remember their mommies and daddies are often funding them, so they have little ground to stand on.
Very true. I forgot to mention his plans of buying a 750 this summer. I smiled and said, "Wow, you must be reeeeeealy good." :D Of course he didn't pick up on the total sarcasm and agreed...

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Sooo annoying. Some punk kid (18-19 maybe) was looking at my bike over the weekend and immediately starts pointing out what's wrong with it (yeah, so it's been dropped, so what). So I assume this is going somewhere productive and ask him if he rides. He gives me this shocked look and says yeah. As it turns out he has no bike, never has, no license but he HAS ridden his friends 1000 one time before. Then proceeds to tell me how his friends four wheelers would 'dog that THING'. :cussing; Her name is Frogger, B**ch!!
As soon as he mentioned he rode his "friends" bike once, I would have told him to STFU. Most of the guys who don't have a bike, no license, and haven't had one will do crap like that. Personally, I ask them if they've ridden on a track or somewhere like The Dragon. If they haven't, I immediately(and harshly) rip into them. In his case the fact he didn't even OWN a bike was the icing on the cake and the fact he said something about a four wheeler shows he's an idiot. He was more than likely jealous over the fact his mommy wouldn't buy him a bike and he can't afford one on his own.

If there's one thing I learned after 3 years of riding, it's that it doesn't matter what you ride, it all comes down to the rider's skill. (i.e. 125cc MotoGP) That, and EVERYONE drops or downs their bike at least once. It's a right of passage.

·
Registered
867 Posts
The womens sportbike rally is headed to The Dragon in August... Have you been there? It looks awesome but I wasn't sure if I could hang, or if I should just wait until next year. They were saying something about the police keeping a close eye on it though (and that's no fun).

·
Strength and Honor
6,144 Posts
With the experience you have, the suppression the police put down at the Dragon would be a good thing. Its probably the last place one should be learning to take curves fast. The track is the very best, especially under tutelage of quality instructors.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
The womens sportbike rally is headed to The Dragon in August... Have you been there? It looks awesome but I wasn't sure if I could hang, or if I should just wait until next year. They were saying something about the police keeping a close eye on it though (and that's no fun).
I have been there, yes. And what kan said is point on. The Dragon can be VERY dangerous. Mountain roads that have 20mph curves that loop back on themselves with the side of a mountain on one side and a drop off on the other. People in sports cars do take that stretch of rode as well and there are a lot of bikers. There was a lot of police enforcement when we went because of so many people getting hurt there. There's a wall inside the Deal's Gap shopping area with pictures of people that have crashed on that stretch of US129.

That being said, it is a beautiful and awesome ride. You don't have to drag knees on the curves if you don't want. Obviously, it's more fun if you do put some speed into it, but the area and ride itself is amazing on its own. And Deal's Gap has places to stay and food/shirts/key chains/gear/etc.

·
Registered
452 Posts
:topic: sorta . . . how long is deals gap btw? specs if you can?

·
Registered
7,448 Posts
:topic: sorta . . . how long is deals gap btw? specs if you can?
From memory, 318 curves in 11 miles. Google it. You'll find all the info you need, and more.

Mrs Tree and I drove it in a friend's Porsche 914 (2L mid-mount) while over there on our honeymoon. We also did the Cherohala Skyway.

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
That must've been fun. I remember when you posted up about that.

What's up with the turtleneck? Where's your husband at? :twofinger :ban:

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yep, 318 curves in 11 miles. Think it took us about 15-20 min of straight twisty riding to get to the bottom if my mind serves me right.

·
Registered
7,448 Posts
That must've been fun. I remember when you posted up about that.

What's up with the turtleneck? Where's your husband at? :twofinger :ban:
Er, that's Mrs Tree in the car, not me. :twofinger We shared the driving. I drove into the Tail, she drove out.

Yeah, it was awesome fun. I had the tyres squealing on most corners. I told the owner and he was stoked that his car had been taken there! He's a Porsche nut. I even got to drive his '57 356 Speedster! :love:

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
I drove into the Tail, she drove out.
I don't trust my girlfriend to get my ass to Taco Bell. Let alone drive a Porsche at the dragon.

It's cool that your friend let you take his car down there.

A little o/t, but I like to look at maps to spot twisty roads a few counties away (or even in the next state) and then me and a riding buddy will go check it out in the Trans Am before hitting it up on the bikes. I'd be wrapped around a tree if I tried to tame the Dragon in that car. :burnout:

·
Registered
7,448 Posts
I don't trust my girlfriend to get my ass to Taco Bell. Let alone drive a Porsche at the dragon.

It's cool that your friend let you take his car down there.

A little o/t, but I like to look at maps to spot twisty roads a few counties away (or even in the next state) and then me and a riding buddy will go check it out in the Trans Am before hitting it up on the bikes. I'd be wrapped around a tree if I tried to tame the Dragon in that car. :burnout:
Mrs Tree's a good driver. She's no racer, but she's alright.

She used to nanny for the guy who loaned us the car. We stayed at their place in Atlanta and he gave us the 914 for the nine days we were there. Mrs Tree is the only woman he's ever let drive it (she also got to drive the 356), which speaks volumes of his respect for her. We drove from Atlanta to Lake Toxaway, in NC, stayed at their lake house for a couple of days and drove over to the Dragon from there. We drove so many twistie sections, it almost got tiresome!

Good idea, scoping out a road before hitting it on the bike. :thumb: I generally ride the same area all the time. I'm getting to know the roads, know how long it's gonna take, know where to stop for lunch, etc.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts