Sportbike World banner

What kind of bike should my DAD get?

2K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  Squidwannabe 
#1 ·
Well, as those of you who peruse the newbie threads on here know, I'm getting a sportbike, namely a Kawasaki 500R in late July-I'm 17 and I finally talked my parents into it.
Now, I want my dad to get a bike He had bikes in the 70's/80's, he mostly rode a Kawasaki 500 triple (75hp and pretty light) which he has some stories on, ie 60mph-90mph wheelies But my mom made him sell it when I was just a little kid so I wouldn't get the whole monkey see-monkey do thing-looks like that failed, hehe.

He's 5'10 and 245 so he's a lil chubby, and his back isn't good enough to get a sportbike...at first I tried to get him on a GSXR750 (mostly so I could buy it from him when he got tired of it ) He is sort of attracted to Harleys, although he doesn't like the image that is associated with them-ie smelly biker jerk.

So, what's a comfy sportish cruiser that would work for him?

#2 ·
I would look into the Standard class of bikes. They arent back breakers like some sportbikes, but they arent in the cruiser league either.

If you really want a nice comfortable , awesome bike get a BMW K1200 LT. Its sporty, comfortable and reliable. Kinda expensive though...but BMW's are high quality bikes.

Or maybe go for a FZ1, the standard/hooligan version on a R1! lol

#5 ·
My son had nothing to do with my choice of bike because he's never been interested in bikes. At age 45, I chose the 2000 Kawasaki ZR-7 FS, a "naked" 750cc standard type, looks like a sportsbike, but has a more upright riding position. The 2001 model has a half fairing and is "RED" in color, mine is Blue, and is a pretty bike. Rides very good, but is a little heavy, 500 lbs. wet.

Attachments

#7 ·
You and I are on different ends of the spectrum, I'm trying to get my son back on a bike! Anyway, how about an Interceptor, 800cc's, they handle really well, they've been MOTY in a number of different magazines the past few years, or at least always considered. It would be comfortable on long rides together, even your Mom might go along. If she does, both you and your Dad will have to behave though, she'd be more comfortable with you and your Dad having a bike if she could see for herself that you were both responsible riders.
Take an MSF course too, she'd be glad you were trying to learn to be a safe rider, your insurance would be lower and it could help you survive the streets.

#8 ·
SV650
Triumph Bonneville
Triumph Thunderbird/Legend/Adventurer
Kawasaki W650
Suzuki Bandit 600
Kawasaki ZR-7S

BMW R1150R (Roadster)
BMW F650 / Aprilia Pegaso
Honda Nighthawk 750
Honda Magna

Those are all in the new category, all of the Japanese bikes under $7,500, the rest under $10K (US$).

Possible consideration could be given to some of the "hooligan"/performance naked bikes, such as the Ducati Monsters, Triumph Speed Triple, Yamaha FZ-1, Suzuki Bandit 1200, Kawasaki ZX11, etc.

Other possible cruiserish beasts would include the BMW R1200C, the Victory, and the hordes of "metric" cruisers.

What type of riding does he want to do, and how much is he willing to spend.....

#9 ·
Moto Guzzi V11 Sport.
The perfect power standard for a big mature guy.
Yet still capable of some antics when the urge is felt.

#10 ·
He'd be up for 99% cruising with very few antics thrown in :)

Lets put it this way: He has a C4 Corvette which he hasn't ever broken triple digits in, but he's cool riding with me at 100+ on the interstate in my TransAm.

Also, a 5k price cieling, because he already has the Vette for one toy, and can't afford another pricey one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.