Sportbike World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Strength and Honor
Joined
·
6,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No, I'm not really asking you, though I'm sure some will answer it. Instead, leading scientists have pondered the question and wrote essays, typically brief, to respond.

Check it out.

Warning: There are 117 of them and its possible you'll find them addictive to read.

I'm blown away by a few and had never considered the concepts like "Everything is pointless".
 

·
S370HSSV 0773H
Joined
·
7,434 Posts
:thumb: Some very interesting reading there. Could take a while to get through though.
 

·
S370HSSV 0773H
Joined
·
7,434 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
That's the first time I have seen this site. It's pretty cool. There are some wild ideas. And some I just don't get:confused: There are some people there that are way over my head. Is it just me?
 

·
S370HSSV 0773H
Joined
·
7,434 Posts
Jus_Livin' said:
Is it just me?
Nope. There have been a few where halfway through I realized I had no idea what they were talking about. Instead of confusing myself further I just moved on.
 

·
S370HSSV 0773H
Joined
·
7,434 Posts
I like this one:

http://www.edge.org/q2006/q06_8.html#gilbert

DANIEL GILBERT
Psychologist, Harvard University


The idea that ideas can be dangerous

Dangerous does not mean exciting or bold. It means likely to cause great harm. The most dangerous idea is the only dangerous idea: The idea that ideas can be dangerous.

We live in a world in which people are beheaded, imprisoned, demoted, and censured simply because they have opened their mouths, flapped their lips, and vibrated some air. Yes, those vibrations can make us feel sad or stupid or alienated. Tough shit. That's the price of admission to the marketplace of ideas. Hateful, blasphemous, prejudiced, vulgar, rude, or ignorant remarks are the music of a free society, and the relentless patter of idiots is how we know we're in one. When all the words in our public conversation are fair, good, and true, it's time to make a run for the fence.
Pity it's so long, that would be a good signature line.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,798 Posts
spicersh said:
I like this one:

http://www.edge.org/q2006/q06_8.html#gilbert



Pity it's so long, that would be a good signature line.
What a bunch of crap. Not you, but the line by daniel gilbert. Ideas have always been dangerous, its not a new phenomena. Ever since men decided to orginize.
 

·
S370HSSV 0773H
Joined
·
7,434 Posts
Vash said:
What a bunch of crap. Not you, but the line by daniel gilbert. Ideas have always been dangerous, its not a new phenomena. Ever since men decided to orginize.
I agree with him. Ideas themselves are not dangerous at all. How can any idea cause harm? Take nuclear energy for example. The idea can be used for benefit or harm, but the idea itself is not dangerous at all. That was his point.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,798 Posts
spicersh said:
I agree with him. Ideas themselves are not dangerous at all. How can any idea cause harm? Take nuclear energy for example. The idea can be used for benefit or harm, but the idea itself is not dangerous at all. That was his point.
We can get seriously side tracked here. I completely disagree. Ideas are the real danger behind anything. Nuclear energy isnt dangerous, not untill someone gets the idea to kill an assload of people with it.

Its all about how you look at it. Ideas drive us. Without them we are no more then ameaba..
 

·
S370HSSV 0773H
Joined
·
7,434 Posts
Vash said:
We can get seriously side tracked here. I completely disagree. Ideas are the real danger behind anything. Nuclear energy isnt dangerous, not untill someone gets the idea to kill an assload of people with it.

Its all about how you look at it. Ideas drive us. Without them we are no more then ameaba..
No need to sidetrack, I'm not interested in debating it. I think he's right, you think he's wrong. I'm comfortable with that. :)
 

·
Strength and Honor
Joined
·
6,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
Joined
·
462 Posts
spicersh said:
Pity it's so long, that would be a good signature line.
"The most dangerous idea is the only dangerous idea: The idea that ideas can be dangerous."

That by itself isn't that long and would make a pretty damn good sig line, IMO.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top