Sportbike World banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to get my endorsement. The riding test was and i quote "ride down to that pole and come back, if you don't crash you pass"

As I waited my turn there was an asian girl on a ninja 500r trying to get hers as well. She gets on, starts it up, drops it in gear without holding in the clutch....bam engine dies. Her friend shows her to hold in the clutch, so she tries again and gets it. Then she proceeds to drag her feet 10 yards as she wobbles out to a decent pace. Huggggge sweeping turn around the pole and back. Shes passed.

Clearly the motorcycle endorsement is of high value as it means you are a qualified rider....yeah right...

·
Registered
873 Posts
I agree with ninjadude, in Arizona the Motorcycle test is damn near a 3 ring circus.

Start, stop quick, go as SLOW as you can through this little obstacle course.. But wait STOP NOW, but dont put your feet down! Watch the lights they will change one of three colors if its red do this, if its green turn to the right and stop, if its yellow, increase your speed to 10mph but not 12mph. Go through these turns at 10mph ONLY. etc etc., NO FEET or u fail!!!

Needless to say, when i got my endorsement in 1992 i was very intimidated by this little test. It was good, challenging and took a certain degree of basic competance. Perhaps times have changed?

·
Registered
236 Posts
I failed the MAryland written the first time ( I was right they were wrong re lane position)
The driving course was pretty rigourus. The Hurricane 1000 was a bit big for the little Sportster looking course. The coolest was the "ride in this box for 30 seconds" test. U-turn in a parking space (no feet). Stop quick test etc....
Still soooooooo basic.

·
Registered
455 Posts
The Georgia test is pretty much like they described for AZ. Not super hard but not easy either.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Unfortunately, that poor girl will most likely become a statistic. Here in VA, if you pass the MSF course, you don't have to take the riding test at the DMV, only the written test. It may be like that other places too. Without the MSF course, you have to take the riding test, and depending on which DMV you go to, it can be a challenge or a piece of cake. Some use the course design and others just tell you to go to the end of the parking lot turn around. I would think that they would at least use the same format everywhere in the state.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yeah I've heard about some places having tests like that, and you wonder why so many people get injured on bikes. Obviously they have no business even sitting on one at the dealership. I'm sure I could find a place like that to take the test, but I'd rather go to the MSF because it's been a while since I've ridden a bike. And they'll refresh my mind with things I'd rather learn there, than out on the street in do or die circumstances.

·
Registered
25 Posts
That registry guy should be shot !!!!!
It's bad enough that here in MA a learners permit is good for 2 years.... Here not very many people get their endorsment because of that..... Years ago in MA, a permit was only good for 1 year. you could only renew it twice and if you didn't take the road test by that time, you had to take a year off and wait. This prompted MANY people to take a safety course and take the road test...............

·
Registered
211 Posts
I went to MSF course in Gilroy CA. There were like 6 people in the class because it was devided into groups. I passed it with flying colors. Also my cousin and a friend of mine went with me 2. My cousin passed, and he looked very confident. However, my friend was going slow all the time. She was going like a turtle. Furthermore, she couldn't shift that good either. Anyway, she passed too. I love her to death and everything. I didn't tell her anything either, but I think that was wrong to pass someone who doesn't look that confident on a bike. I am glad though that her parents aren't letting her get a bike at all. Plus, she wants a new car no bike. Thank GOD>:)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Here in North Carolina, take the MSF course or forget about it! The written test is not so bad, but unless you take a 125cc bike for the riding test, well forget about it! Anyway, the MSF course should be a priority esp. if you've never ridden before and you get a 10% insurance discount. If you have ridden for some time, the MSF course will identify your bad habits, as I found out. You'll learn alot with the MSF course and it is fun. Tom

·
Registered
577 Posts
Big Brother just wants your cash. Your safty don't matter to the Government. Speed limits, seat belt and helmet laws generate revenue. So do the endorsement taxes you and I pay for the previlage to die on the public road. :rolleyes:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts