Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What is the best all-purpose bike? The purpose or activities I expect of a street bike is the ability to:

-be a competivie bike at the race track (trackdays or clubracing)?
-be comfortable on commuter rides?
-be considered a good stunt bike?
-have accesible and cheap race and/or stunt accessories?
-have minimal engine modifications to meet these purposes?

maybe a throw-in is should the bike be Fi or carb'ed??

:barf2:

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
honda cbr600 and 1000 RR's are good all around. May not be the fastest, but are very comfortable (to me) and handle really good. I test drove my friends 04 600RR. So much better then my old f2.

·
Registered
376 Posts
The Z750S may not be competetive at the track but is considered by many to be one of the best all-purpose bikes around. It's really big in Europe - bigger than in the US. The Z1K may also be a good choice (if you don't mind living without any fairing at all).

It's also got descent power and can hang with all of the 600cc supersports power-wise, minus a little weight disadvantage.

I wasn't sure what exacly you meant by all-purpose.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom and while it's not my favorite motorcycle, it's a very good dual sport, all purpose motorcycle. I have some problems with the power and weight in off-road conditions but I think that's partly "rider error." While I have allot of road experience, I have very little off-road experience.

I find I'm riding my 06 GSX-R1000 so much more that I'm gonna sell the V-Strom this coming Spring.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I would say the gixxer 750. Supurb stunter. Parts all over ebay. No nasty surprises lurking. It's not the most comfortable, but if you want something good for the track comfort isn't amongst the list. I would definetley opt for the fuel injection.

P.S. I actually perfer sportbike seating positions over standard bikes.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
+1 on the 750.
A few notes
Comfort and track performance are almost mutually exclusive.
Lack of fairings is fine at the track, but kills comfort at high speeds. If you are into 120+mph touring.
Stunt bike and track bike are virtually exclusive as well. While the 750 will do good at either, I doubt it will do well doing both. Stunting can easily mess up the aligment and suspension function. It may not be noticable riding, but you will notice at the track.

·
Registered
675 Posts
There is no such bike....

If you want something competetive at the track then it depands on your riding skill you can have the fastest bike but be the slowest around the track.

Stunting... you gotta give it to the older f4i or now the 636. 636 it the best stunt bike for generic stunting, also the 929 for some stunts is better.

just curising around then it's all personal opinion a gixxer may feel good for you but may not for me.

So to answer your question... there is not perfect bike.

If your really into stunting buy a used bike that has a streetfighter and been set up to stunt.... ie, bars, cage, mod oil pick up.

If your really into track buy a track bike!

If stunting and track days are just on the side then any bike will do..... they are all fast all handle well and all can be competitive if you can ride it! Me personally I like the 06 zx10. Light powerful and I think it looks great too.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
mainerdr said:
Me personally I like the 06 zx10. Light powerful and I think it looks great too.
But its got an ass like Roseann's :twofinger

·
Registered
434 Posts
honda cbr600 and 1000 RR's are good all around. May not be the fastest, but are very comfortable (to me) and handle really good.
Are you kidding? the hondas are the most uncomfortable bikes made!

I gotta give it to the gixxer 750, it is the best all round bike out!

I think i'll start a poll.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Maybe clarifying a definition would help. "Good at the track." Just what does that mean?

To me, that's the rider. If you're not actually racing, just having fun at a track day, then there are many bikes that will be fun and will be quite fast based on the rider's ability. There are many 1k's being passed by 600's at every track day. Many running together.

I've had similar fun at the track on an old F2, an F4, a Duc 996, my CBR-1000F, and an EX-500. Quite a range of bikes there. If you're actually trying to compete in classes, that's different..... but not entirely.;)

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Vash said:
But its got an ass like Roseann's :twofinger
But can it sing?:eek: :)

·
Registered
746 Posts
Honda's most uncomfortable around? Hmmm. Obviously opinions vary drastically whoever you ask. A basic question like that is going to get a million different answers. Most people told it right, you can't have it all. If you want a bike for stunt use, then it will be caged, geared, ect. That bike will suck at the track, geared too low, extra weight of the cages, ect. If you are talking about just basic all around without heavy mods, then we are back to every one's opinions. So this is a lose - lose situation on this question.
That's my :2cents:

-M-

·
Registered
434 Posts
I think his question was straight forward, and i cannot understand why every one wants to give every peice of info they have other than an answer.

Maybe this will help you guys out,

If you could only buy 1 bike, that will be used for some commuting, some track days, a little stunting from time to time, hitting the twisties, and isn't just gonna kill your ass, or back every time you get on it.

What would you buy? What in your opinion would be the best all around Sport bike, in your opinion?

I think thats all he's asking.

1 BIKE, 1 ANSWER

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
izzybo69 said:
I think his question was straight forward, and i cannot understand why every one wants to give every peice of info they have other than an answer.

Maybe this will help you guys out,

If you could only buy 1 bike, that will be used for some commuting, some track days, a little stunting from time to time, hitting the twisties, and isn't just gonna kill your ass, or back every time you get on it.

What would you buy? What in your opinion would be the best all around Sport bike, in your opinion?

I think thats all he's asking.

1 BIKE, 1 ANSWER
I dont know what he'd like, but you'd probly pick the goldwing. :twofinger

·
Registered
434 Posts
I dont know what he'd like, but you'd probly pick the goldwing.
Look at the bright side, if i got a gold wing i could move back down to your class at the track!:twofinger

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
izzybo69 said:
Look at the bright side, if i got a gold wing i could move back down to your class at the track!:twofinger
I'd pay money to see that... last time there was some huge BMW.. BOAT. thats the only way I have of describing that bike.. it made a goldwing look sporty...

·
Registered
434 Posts
I told you about the guy on the BMW this summer at hallett giving me a run for my money. This was a big ass boat, and when we were sitting at the grid, he would mess with me by playing with his eletric adjusting windsheild, but on the track, it was all business!

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
izzybo69 said:
I told you about the guy on the BMW this summer at hallett giving me a run for my money. This was a big ass boat, and when we were sitting at the grid, he would mess with me by playing with his eletric adjusting windsheild, but on the track, it was all business!
Thats funny... rubbing it in!

There was no way anyone could have gotten a good time on this bike. The heads where so far out you couldnt get that thing to lean very far.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts