Sportbike World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok,
1) what happens to the tire to produce cupping?

2) what does the operator do to provoke this condition?

3) what does this translate into as far as changes in how the bike handles and performs?

4)how do you remedy the situation?

this might be another good one for the bike-terms page Vypir.

·
Founder
4,761 Posts
You may not be able to entirely avoid cupping. Tire cupping or irregular wear is a somewhat common occurence on all vehicles. On a four-wheel vehicle, you are advised to rotate your tires periodically to even out wear. Unfortunately, you do not have this luxury with a motorcycle because front and rear tires, unlike those on a four-wheel vehicle, are not interchangeable.

However, there are steps that can be taken to minimize cupping and uneven wear on a motorcycle:

1. Maintain your motorcycle and particularly your front forks and suspension.
2. Maintain your tire pressures. Underinflation or overinflation in motorcycle tires are significant causes of cupping and uneven wear, particularly in association with hard braking.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
givin those maintenance steps is it going to happen anyway over time?

IE my front tire was cupping though I've kept them properly inflated and the front suspension set up correctly since I got the bike?

·
Registered
49 Posts
It's my understanding that cupping is when you have a lip build up at the trailing edge of a tread block. This is usually accompanied by higher wear on the leading edge of the tread block. If you have cupping you'll see these little lips near the tread patterns on the areas of the tire that see the most cornering force.

It basically indicates that there is excess pressure on the face of the tread block. I believe it's due to a too-hard suspension or high psi in the tires. This causes the tire itself to take more of the cornering forces instead of allowing the suspension to absorb them.

Most sportbikes will cause some degree of cupping. It's keeping the cupping to a minimum and not allowing really large lips to form (causing unstable handling) that you want to accomplish.

·
Founder
4,761 Posts
Chris_VTR said:
It's my understanding that cupping is when you have a lip build up at the trailing edge of a tread block. This is usually accompanied by higher wear on the leading edge of the tread block. If you have cupping you'll see these little lips near the tread patterns on the areas of the tire that see the most cornering force.

It basically indicates that there is excess pressure on the face of the tread block. I believe it's due to a too-hard suspension or high psi in the tires. This causes the tire itself to take more of the cornering forces instead of allowing the suspension to absorb them.

Most sportbikes will cause some degree of cupping. It's keeping the cupping to a minimum and not allowing really large lips to form (causing unstable handling) that you want to accomplish.
Great post Chris!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts