Sportbike World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to buy another helmet. I was just wondering if you can buy a good quality helmet for around 150.00? I would like to have something that will match the color scheme of my bike. I assume that will cause the price to be a little higher.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
NINJA DAD said:
I need to buy another helmet. I was just wondering if you can buy a good quality helmet for around 150.00? I would like to have something that will match the color scheme of my bike. I assume that will cause the price to be a little higher.
There are many DOT/Snell approved helmets at my local bike shop for right around 100 dollars. Granted, they probably aren't quite as good as a Shoei, but if a helmet is both DOT and Snell approved, then it is considered to be a very good helmet.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
HJC AC-11 is a fiberglass/Kevlar composite shell which means it's fairly lightweight, removeable washable liner, nose guard, and helmet bag, DOT and Snell 2000, solid colors for about $145 to your door. Graphics are more. That's on-line at Helmet Harbor or Helmet Shop. In the last few years, helmets of that quality with on-line pricing were in the $250+ range.

The AC-14's are plastic shell and are slightly less. They are still DOT and Snell and the main difference is they weigh slightly more. I've sometimes felt that a high speed crash that included grinding or sliding on the helmet might cause a plastic one to melt and grind through but I have no particular facts or anecdotes for that, just a feeling from messing with plastic and fiberglass. Hope that helps.

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,434 Posts
Dad said:
HJC AC-11 is a fiberglass/Kevlar composite shell which means it's fairly lightweight, removeable washable liner, nose guard, and helmet bag, DOT and Snell 2000, solid colors for about $145 to your door. Graphics are more. That's on-line at Helmet Harbor or Helmet Shop. In the last few years, helmets of that quality with on-line pricing were in the $250+ range.

The AC-14's are plastic shell and are slightly less. They are still DOT and Snell and the main difference is they weigh slightly more. I've sometimes felt that a high speed crash that included grinding or sliding on the helmet might cause a plastic one to melt and grind through but I have no particular facts or anecdotes for that, just a feeling from messing with plastic and fiberglass. Hope that helps.
I'm with Dad. HJC gives you the most bang for your buck, IMO. I like the Shoei graphics better and the Shoei helmets actually fit me just a little better, but I will probably go with HJC from here on out. I'm more and more looking at utility over aesthetics. :2cents:

·
Registered
518 Posts
You MUST try it on! I have nothing against an inexpensive helmet (as long as its DOT/Snell approved), but fit and comfort are the determining factor!!! I bought a cheap helmet a few years back...now its practically brand new...sitting in my closet! This is why you can't get Arai online anymore. They want you to try the helmet on for the best fit, as they have some different shaped shells (OK, its probably $ related too!)

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
I have the HJC AC-11 as well. I recently upgraded from the HJC AC-10. Great helmet, great price!!!

I also agree with Rick though, you really need to try it on before you buy it...

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
"Ditto" on the fit. DOT and Snell are critical to assure a quality standard but that won't mean anything if the fit isn't right.:thumb:

Snug fit all of the way around, almost too tight when new, and it will settle in nicely after a couple of wearings. It should not be so tight as to give you a headache but certainly snug, all of the way around, no point loading like front and rear with room at the sides. If you have trouble finding a fit with the lower priced, high volume stuff, that's where Arai's various shaped shells come into play. Fortunately, HJC's fit me perfectly. Shoei's used to be similar in fit for me but I haven't tried one in a few years now since using the HJC's.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I love my AC-11 :D

I tryed on tons of helmets and other than the Arai, it was a close second place. I have worn it 4 hours + with no headache or aching neck. The breath guard that comes with it also does an excellent job keeping the fog away.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do any of you guys with the HJC AC-11 have graphics, if so what did you pay? Thanks for all the input everyone.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
And check this link http://www.helmetshop.com/

This one does not include shipping but slightly better price. By the time you add shipping, they'll be about the same.

Both links include other makes including KBC and Shoei. If that many choices don't confuse you, nothing will.;)

Over the years, I've used both suppliers and was satisfied with their service.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts