Sportbike World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well so my thoughts went when riding yesterday & coming to a two lane section on my side to see something like a blob of blue, back to the road & still no traffic, to this blob again & of all things it is one of these lay back bicycles with pedals way up high & to the front, wit a set of pannier soft bags in blue & possibly on at top, only by this time I went by.

Chap was 60+ miles from Penticton, being the closest city in his direction. Wonder if he started off from Greater Vancouver area was what went on in my mind as I scooted down the road. Anyway a FIRST for me to see.

·
Registered
7 Posts
What was that????

I have seen Oryx (antelope) and the weirdest was a a whole family on a lawn tractor motoring in the breakdown lane.

I absolutely hate the road gators(truck tire retreads) as it heats up here in the southwest I get more and more of them.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Where I live we have to be on the outlook for Mule or White Tail deer for in these Mtn roads they can be only a few yds from the hwy & become accustom to the vehicles so they will step out at any time.

Mind you a number of farming tractors & sometimes hauling something, but what the heck this is farming terrain as well.

I worry when I see a horse in the ditch by the road, but in most cases it is teathered to something & so eating the grass, but once in a while one has broken through the fence.

Last yr I came around this bend clocking a decent pace only mother duck is slowly walking across the road with her young 'uns. I really felt sick that I had hit the last in line, only not so & guess the wind of the wheels knocked it over, for mother duck waited till it caught up then proceeded across the road.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
I've never seen anything crazy like that, but whitetail deer is an everyday hazard up here.

Although I have seen cows wondering across the road before.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Those bicycles are called recumbents and are fairly poplular with certain crowds (pocket protector folks or those with bad backs or prostate problems). They extend the pedals/crankset out front and allow a mesh chair to sit in. LONG chain from front commonly connects to a jackshaft in middle of bike or some guide/support rollers before heading to rear wheel and standard gear setup.

Some are more like choppers, some have front wheel about halfway along length of bike, under your thighs as you sit back) and stick your feet way out in free space in front of you. Comfortable and relatively aerodynamic (especially if you get a fairing), but handle and climb hills poorly, due to your legs being at same level as heart.

Better to ride than no bicycle, but I will wait until injury/health force me to give up more standard rides.

Do a search for Vision Recumbents if you want to see some that aren't moving.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts