Sportbike World banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey! I live in Daytona Beach and as you know its biketoberfest. Anyways I have been riding for about 4 months now and I havent experienced this until now---on my left hand my ring finger and pinky feel FUZZY! WTF?? Its kinda like a numb feeling---who has experienced this---its kinda makin me nervous seeing that its been about 12 hours and it hasn't gone away---should i also take a rest from riding until full feeling comes back? GEKO

·
Registered
91 Posts
Geko - Some of the nerves that control your fingers run beneath your palm. Putting excessive weight on this area while riding can pinch/deaden these nerves.

There are a couple things you can do: The first and most important is train yourself to always support your weight with your midsection and legs. That lets you be light on the grips, and the nerves won't get pinched in the first place. Problem Solved!!!

Second - Adjust the controls so your hands lay in as natural a position as possible. In particular: Loosen the pinch bolts on your levers and rotate them so the back of your arm and top of your hand form as straight an angle as possible when you are sitting on the bike in riding position. Same applies for feet: The foot controls should be *right* there - You shouldn't have to reach for them at all.

Third - Softer grips and gloves with gel palms can also help, but be aware that they also take away a little feel from the front end.

Scott :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I don't own a bike, I just browse these boards because I want one and I like the info you guys provide.

I had the same thing happen a few years ago. If it hasn't gone away yet go to a nuerologist right now. You have pinched your ulnur nerve. Do you also have a loss of strength in your hand, try pinching your thumb and first finger. Also is only half of your ring finger numb?

I don't mean to scare you (I'm not a doctor) but I let my numbness go a month hoping it would just heal it's self. Bad idea, I'm still not as strong with my hand and it's two years later. For example as my name suggests, I ride a Yamaha Banshee ATV. ATV's come with a thumb throttle, I still can't use one because my hand isn't strong enough. If you treat it early it can be fixed without surgury. I had surgury and I have a 4" long scar running on the under side of my elbow.

Like I said, I'm not a doctor so if I'm wrong I'll feel like an ass, but I'd rather feel like an ass than have you to go through the pain that I did.

·
Registered
860 Posts
yeah i get that feeling on long trips too....but doesnt last hours...wheni used to ride quads on the trails it used to happen all the time...i bet it has somthing to do with engine vibration going through the handle bars.....b/c my position on a waverunner and quad are closely realted and on the quad i have the numbness and on the waverunner none if hardly any...//and the w/r is a hellla lot smoother than the quad

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well its getting a little better now in my pinky, half of my ring finger is fuzzy! I dont have a loss of strength at all. I am gonna go see a doc to see whats up. Geko

·
Registered
26 Posts
Numb Fingers

Hi Guys,

I've been riding about a month now and ride 40 miles everyday. At first I was getting numb in both hands, but now it seems to be limited to my right (throttle) hand. I to put this down to the weight on my palms, which is more noticable at slow speeds in traffic. I now hold my weight more with my stomach muscles and this seems to help.

The other problem is that the reduced circulation causes my fingers to freeze quickly on cold mornings. I'm getting some heat grip today and hope that will solve it.

However, I never had the numbness last more than a few minutes after riding. Although my left arm aches a bit. I think that's due to the use on different muscle groups to the one's I normalliy use.

Good luck at the Quacks.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
The answer is pretty well up there in Scott's Post. Experienced riders do not have said problems.

In the riding weather I'm basically riding 3 to 5 or more hours steadly around 4-5 days of the week on 600 & 929. Use stock grips & decent m/c gloves (no special padding to gloves or grips) so the answer lays in how one distributes the weight & control on the bike. In actual fact even when doing twisties hard my grip is relaxed with only the 4th & 5th fingers plus web between 2nd finger & thumb. Fact is in town or amongst trarric on the hwy my 2nd & 3rd fingers of both hands are relaxed & resting on the clutch & f/brake levers for faster reaction time if so needed.

Thing is the above grip has been used for over 50 yrs or riding. Good chance others will pick up the idea of how to distribute wt & grip on the bikes & this numbness will be a thing of the past. Thing is when new to riding one is still a bit worried about the traffic, the roads & staying upring. Once tension goes away you should be okay.

·
Registered
31 Posts
It will go away. I've had the same thing happen in the past from other sports. When I first started riding, it happened to me, but as I learned to relax on the bike, I haven't had a problem since.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts