Sportbike World banner

What exhaust are you using on your GSXR 1000?

5K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  DLong1 
#1 ·
Just decided to add an exhaust to my 2k1 GSXR 1000. I previously had a 97 GSXR 750 with a Hindle High Pipe, and LOVED it. I kind of had my eye on a titanium pipe though.

Do the titaniums get that purplish blue color over time from use, or do they come that way from the factory?

Been thinking about a MIG High Pipe Slip on..anyone got info on these? How much, where to get them, how long does it take....

Some feedback would be greatly appreciated!!

#2 · (Edited)
A guy I know is putting a slip-on on his 1000 and stated that he has heared that if you do any more then that you will kill your bottom end and hurt the mid range some. I don't remember what pipe he is using but you might want to check on this if you are thinking of a full exhaust.

PS. Your header I believe is titanium

#3 ·
my pipe

I have a TiForce high pipe that is all Ti and it turned that cool blue after hard use:D . It does hve a little less bottom end but its makes it easier to ride now that the front wheel doesn't go skyward with a little bit of throttle. I added a BMC filter and I have to reprogram my FI again to compensate for the freer flowing intake. All in all I love the way the bike sounds and responds to twisting of the wrist..:D :D

Well that's my $.02

#7 ·
YOU CANT GO WRONG WITH YOSH.

I'M CURRENTLY RIDING MY THIRD GIXXER THIS ONE IS A 2002 1000 RED+SILVER. bEFORE I BOUGHT NEW EXHAUST SYSTEM FOR THIS ONE I DID SOME HOMEWORK AND ALL MY INFO LEAD ME TO GO WITH NEW YOSH SYSTEM. I WENT WITH Ti. SYSTEM RUNNING ABOUT 1400$ AND A DYNO JET POWER COMMANDER I THEN REDYNOED MY BIKE AND WAS MORE THEN THRIILED TO SEE I HAD GAINED 13 HORSEPOWER. YOSH DOES ALOT OF WORK TO MAKE SURE TO KEEP UPWITH NEW FUEL INJECTED SYSTEMS AND IT SHOWS. JUST MY LITTLE PIECE OF MIND.

#8 ·
gixxer1k said:
Do the titaniums get that purplish blue color over time from use, or do they come that way from the factory?
Doesn't look like the V&H S4 Titanium will discolor, and the can actually stays pretty cool to the touch. I'm guessing maybe it's due to the insulation since they use packing instead of mechanical baffles?
'Course, they're just not 'spensive enough or trendy enough to be cool if that sort of thing bothers you! :D
Cheap basta...er, frugal individual that I am, I was just looking for a quality slip-on (don't want the hassle/expense of trying to fix what a full system might screw up) that sounded good. The fact that it looks better/weighs less than the factory can is just icing on the cake.
I really like the oval shape vs. the round, and really like the looks of the machined end cap. 'Course, I see one of the 'hot ticket' makers has now copied it, so now maybe everyone will 'discover' it? :rolleyes:

#10 ·
In response to this quote:

suzmcman said:
A guy I know is putting a slip-on on his 1000 and stated that he has heared that if you do any more then that you will kill your bottom end and hurt the mid range some. I don't remember what pipe he is using but you might want to check on this if you are thinking of a full exhaust.

PS. Your header I believe is titanium
This is a frequently heard rumour which circulates around, pertaining to liter bikes with the special exhaust valve systems designed for more low-end torque. Specifically, this exact same rumour circulates around the YZF-R1 with its EXUP system, the CBR929RR with its HTEV system, and the Suzuki with its EXUP-cloned valve system. The gist is this: these special valve systems alter the exhaust flow and air pressure depending on what rpm you are at, and are designed to get you more low-end torque, then at high rpm they open-up and get out of the way for the engine to run at high intensity. The story we hear is this: if you replace any other part of the exhaust system except for the muffler, you'll be removing the EXUP-style system, and therefore getting rid of your low-end torque advantage. Well, it makes sense logically, and that's why we hear the story all the time. But on the other hand, I hear people say the best thing you can do is totally get rid of the system, it is more of a nanny to keep the power buildup more linear. If you go to www.hardracing.com for example, you can see their special article they have there about the HTEV system on the CBR929RR. When they rip the whole stock exhaust system out and put a full system in, they have huge horsepower and torque gains everywhere, across the board. The horsepower gains on the 929RR were something like 14 ponies, which is rather impressive, and comparable to what the other guy said in this thread with the GSX-R1000 and the full Yosh system, that he gained 13 ponies. Myself, I don't have any direct experience to corroborate any of this, but I have seen the dyno printouts which, if true, confirm it, that the best thing you can do is rip the shyt out and put a full system in, and you will gain power and torque across the board.

Hope this info helps,
Later --

Death Cannon

#11 ·
gixxer1k said:
Just decided to add an exhaust to my 2k1 GSXR 1000. I previously had a 97 GSXR 750 with a Hindle High Pipe, and LOVED it. I kind of had my eye on a titanium pipe though.

Been thinking about a MIG High Pipe Slip on..anyone got info on these? How much, where to get them, how long does it take....

Some feedback would be greatly appreciated!!
I've heard Yoshimura gives the best across the board gains on the Suzuki, especially in keeping a nice low-end and mid-range.

Later,
DeathCannon

#13 ·
I was using the full yosh Rs-3 on mine,whiched worked well,but gained 2 additional hp buy switching to the ti-force,of corse i 've done more mods then just exhaust.And i sold the yosh to get the ti-force cause i do shit like that all the time,like playing with it as much as riding it.

#14 · (Edited)
I went with the yosh Ti sytem for the same reason rix gixx did Yosh has always been with suzuki and spends mega bucks on r&d. I did loose a little of the botom and mid by removing the set valve but made the power more controlable across the board and the top end hit was a noticeable improvement. I also installed the TRE which bumps the timing up in the first four gears @ part throttle and that seemed to make up alot at least in normal to semi-manic mode. I've been looking to the ems or power commander for the next step up. Hope this helps..

Dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.