Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We all love our motorcycles, if you don't, than I pity you. They make us feel better, "look cooler" (for some), give us a way to get away from everything, turn any bad mood into a "why was I mad" mood, and the like.

Now every bike is different, and everyone's bike is even more so. I love my F3 like none other, and being my first bike makes it that much more important... but there are things I don't like about it. Little things, things that Honda did or didnt do and could have. So im curious as to what you all DON'T like about your individual bikes. My list is as follows:

*No under-seat storage!!!
*Noisy plastics / windscreen
*No fuel gauge

I know theres more but i can't think of them at the moment. Now I know there's going to be at least one of you out there that will claim to not dislike any part of their machine, and to them I say.... Your a liar and need to learn how to be more critical. Enjoy.

·
Registered
129 Posts
f4i

Why don't the manufacturer's take a look at what everyone does with the signals and installing tail eliminators and make some improvements for the purpose of styling. Also, along the same lines....how about an exhaust option so we don't all have to throw away the stock can and invest the bucks into a aftermarket system.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Because the two beasts keep each other alive. The aftermarket and manufacturers need each other. Besides, what fun would it be if bikes came with flush mounts and aftermarket systems? Then you don't get to personalize it. Also, a lot of people like the stock setup.

I see your point and am just playing devil's advocate.

·
Registered
925 Posts
16" wheels
un-adjustable suspension
seats too soft
bars too high
pegs too low
not enough ground clearence

But for what it is, a beginers bike, it serves its purpose and then some.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Stupid cans!

It's not so much the bike as it is the:

*Cheap, wobbly, leaky mother f'n TBR slip ons

·
Registered
243 Posts
Honda F2:
No storage.
Too hard to replace dash lights.

Kawasaki KZ1000:
Oil leak I can't seem to stop.
Speedo broke and can't find parts.
Sidestand too short, carbs leak when leaned over that far.
Seat hurts.

BMW R100RT:
Under powered.

It's funny that most of the things you all have mentioned are things I like.

I like the stock turn signals on most bikes, and don't like tail eliminators, I like high bars and low pegs, I love carbs, and analog gauges, I don't care for fuel gauges, or loud pipes. It's all a taste thing, some of us like it one way and some don't.

James.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
i will not complain about something that brings me this much pleasure without having the worry's about catching a venerial disease, child support, or alimony. :twofinger

my bike is FINE.:thumb:

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
I find it hard to find fault with two m/cs that I had time to study & pick over others. My '97 Yamaha YZF600r has been trouble free & a pleasure to ride from the day I purchased it new.

The only downfall on the '00 Honda 929 is that it is a bit of a feat to remove the saddle to get at the fuze box & just as hard to get back on---which would be a problem out on some moonless evening on the hwy when suddenly my lights failed prorably due to a fuze that failed. True the digital clock sends me up & down the wall, but have learned to ignore the clock bit except in the Spring when I put the battery back in for it is then blinking all the time.

Both are with good storage space (for sportbikes) & I like the stock exhaust systems. At lst did not like the digital speedo, but now have got to like all the "clocks" on the two bikes. The riding position of both bikes are to my liking & now feel I would prefer a harder saddle, like the 929, on the 600r. I will not go on, for when I tested m/cs for a few m/c mags I made a point of giving out "Pros" & "Cons" of each m/c at the very end & found out I was the only one that did & readers went for it first before reading the test, but now some other m/c testings do the same ---- just know back in the mid-50s many were not in existance or the testers beyond new rider stage.

·
Registered
518 Posts
its not an '04....yet!!!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Re: f4i

bridomine99 said:
Also, along the same lines....how about an exhaust option
aftermarket exhausts don't meet emission standards, and most of the cans you see on peoples bikes aren't even street legal, that's why they don't come stock on the bike,

i guess if the aftermarket companies wanted to make some money, they could make a nice shiney pipe, that sounded a little better than most stock ones, to put on new bikes, but the performance wouldn't be much better, but as far as turn signals and the fender eliminators, it's probably somewhat the same reason, i like mine, because i ride in the rain, so i like the back fender, and my bike is completely black, so i depend on the big turn signals when i park my bike in a parking spot at night, it gives people something to see before they park on top of my bike,

but as for my bike, i hate the setup of the rear suspension and swingarm, unless i keep the rear suspension super mushy, the chain wears right through the chain rub guard, which means the swingarm would be next,

and also, my bike should've come stock with regular handlebars, like the speed triple, i'm tired of the clip ons, so they're getting replaced in the spring, but from what i read, they tested it with the taller bars, and they thought the bike was too wheelie prone, but that's kinda what i'm going for, so you know, as well as i use it for commuting just as much as i do riding, so heavy bookbags and passengers don't make for a friendly relationship with my clipons

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
I tend to worry about the aftermarket tucked away signal lights AND if the cage drivers can see them.

Back in the late 40s & early 50s the rear taillamp was such a small thing that most cage drivers could not see the light when one was riding or hit the brakes. We started to import a larger taillamp/license plate that could go on the bikes for many owners felt they needed MORE light at the rear then at the front---a firm belief of experienced m/cists.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Good replies guys....I would agree with most of the comments regarding my complaint about signals and pipes.

As far as being able to see my aftermarket signals at night goes...my iridium(sp?) tails which are half the size of the stocks, seem to be almost excessivly bright. However my lp V's on the front are all but invisable during the day, however they seem to work well at night. My theory is i'm hand signaling anyway if I am close to the cagers and they are much more likely to see the hand signals than any blinker so I will take the chance for style.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Originally posted by wheelie123 in reference to his ZX9R
not fuel injected; fat for its class; analog gauges; and fat tank

other than that, she's great:cool:
Funny, the only thing I don't like about my 9R is the little (5 gallon) tank. I'd like another 3 gallons or so. My Concours has a 7.x gallon tank and it's great as I can go nearly 300 miles between fill ups.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Smitty said:
I tend to worry about the aftermarket tucked away signal lights AND if the cage drivers can see them.

Back in the late 40s & early 50s the rear taillamp was such a small thing that most cage drivers could not see the light when one was riding or hit the brakes. We started to import a larger taillamp/license plate that could go on the bikes for many owners felt they needed MORE light at the rear then at the front---a firm belief of experienced m/cists.
Funny you say that Smitty. They were small and on my old 6V K model, were also prone to going out due to vibration breaking the filament. I had developed a habit of looking down at the road behind me at night to pick up the reflection and then hit the brakes to check for brake light. A down and rearward glance through the armpit was all it took. That was enough of a problem that I carried a spare. I still had that habit when I started riding bikes that had dual bulbs and no problem with blowing them out.

I absolutely agree that the aftermarket turn signals are almost useless. I like having all of the available safety equipment in place and working. :thumb:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts