Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being up there in PA, it's a chance you have water in your carbs. With fuel on, loosen drain plugs and allow to run for a couple of seconds apiece. If this doesn't cure your problem, at least it was free and easy! Good luck.

------------------

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
another oh jeez could it be, butu is your battery up to snuff. if it's not charged, it may not be able to deliever power to your coils. happens with some older models.

------------------
Tony

the views and opinions expressed by tony (cbrf2boy) are the ramblings of a total idiot. sbw.com, it's administrators, moderators, and members don't necessarily agree with and are not responsible for anything this idiot has to say.

for more ramblings try cbrf2boy

·
Registered
582 Posts
You know something, Tony. I think you're onto something...The problem started AFTER I installed one of those ION headlights...I think I had a 45/60 and upped it to a 90/100.
At an idle, I can see the headlight dim every time the turnsignal blinks....Maybe I'm drawing too much current with the new bulb....Even with a DEGREE in electronics, I didn't even THINK about that!!!Good call!!!
I'll keep you posted..Thanks!!!!Jimmy G.

------------------

·
Registered
582 Posts
My bike has developed what appears to be a "hiccup" during hard acceleration only in 2nd gear...I have replaced the plugs, they were all the same color...Light tan..inspected the k&N airfilter, ok...cleaned 3k miles ago, still good...sprayed the carbs w/ gumout, ran through 3 tanks of gas...still happens on occasion only.....Starts and idles fine, but seems to have lost smoothness in upper rpms from 10-12k....Could my carbs need to be synchronized or adjusted/rejetted..I'm going nutz!!!P.S> the spark plug gap has been set to .7mm as stated in manual...Old ones were the same gap....Thanks in advance!!!!!

..................Jimmy G....................

------------------

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
Can you describe the "hiccup"? Does it occur
when the throttle is held wide open or does
it happen during throttle transitions? IE:
On/off throttle... Can you articulate?

Thanks,
Chris

------------------
"If you spent more time worrying about you I wouldn't have to."

·
Registered
582 Posts
It seems to happen only on hard acceleration, I "believe" at wot..But it happened again at 3/4 throttle in 2nd gear....I'm accelerating smoothly and then it's like the bike cuts out for like a millisecond, then picks right back up again...Almost like it's losing spark, but it's not losing spark at 8k all the time, just under hard acceleration....

------------------

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Did you re-jet after installing the K&N filter??

Jim

------------------

·
Registered
582 Posts
I assume the bike was rejetted, but it has been running flawlessly for the past 17k miles...Also valves were checked 2k miles ago and were dead on!!!!

------------------

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
Sounds like a good carb removal and cleaning
are in due. 2nd gear, 3/4 to WOT problems
mean high fuel demand problems. Now usually
this is associated with the needles and the
main jets but a little dirt in a pilot jet
could cause it as well. Your best bet is
just to remove the carbs, take of the bowls
and clean all the jets - check the float level
too but I doubt that's your problem. Clean
the air filters too though I don't think that
is it either but it's best to eliminate as
many factors as possible. How that helps!

Chris

------------------
"If you spent more time worrying about you I wouldn't have to."

G

·
What is going on here ??? Not one stupid post ? C'mon People!!!!

Ok Jimmy I have make a stupid post..

I'd check the kill switch on the kickstand,(it might kick in for 1/1000th of a sec), and check to see you brakes are not draggin! :D

Posted by y2k_chris
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Aril, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>. Now usually
this is associated with the needles and the
main jets but a little dirt in a pilot jet<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Check those little rubber things that are on the needles ...

------------------
If somebody sounds as though they might know more than you, talk more and louder.

·
Registered
169 Posts
you gota be careful with the higher wattage bulbs, due to you are drawing more amps thru a wire thats not ment to carry that much power, they can over heat, and worse case burn up.
i had a buddy with a old VW bug that put some high wattage bulbs in and the insulation melted off the wire's, now granted, i know where talking about an old 60's VW POS, but, food for thought !

------------------
texas tornado #2

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Aril, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jimmyjr:
You know something, Tony. I think you're onto something...The problem started AFTER I installed one of those ION headlights...I think I had a 45/60 and upped it to a 90/100.
At an idle, I can see the headlight dim every time the turnsignal blinks....Maybe I'm drawing too much current with the new bulb....Even with a DEGREE in electronics, I didn't even THINK about that!!!Good call!!!
I'll keep you posted..Thanks!!!!Jimmy G.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yup - Sounds like a 'Bingo'. High fuel demand
at WOT in second gear and there isn't a strong
enough spark to burn the initial surge of fuel.

Good call Tony Dawg!

------------------
People come and people go - either way they don't do it fast enough.

[This message has been edited by chris_y2k_r1 (edited September 11, 2000).]

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
amazing what a 12 year 14,000 rpm bike with a natious regulator problem can teach you. :)

------------------
Tony

the views and opinions expressed by tony (cbrf2boy) are the ramblings of a total idiot. sbw.com, it's administrators, moderators, and members don't necessarily agree with and are not responsible for anything this idiot has to say.

G

·
Awwww Darn! I was positive it was the kickstand! ! !

------------------
If somebody sounds as though they might know more than you, talk more and louder.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Now that I've seen everyone's answers, I have to go with Squid on this one. Check to make sure the spring on the stand is not allowing the stand to move when you hit bumps or under strong acceleration.

------------------

·
Registered
582 Posts
Anybody interested what the actual problem was????Nailed it down last night..Can't believe I missed it....Jimmy G

------------------

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
do tell, do tell...

------------------
Tony

·
Registered
582 Posts
Ok..But...You have to PROMISE NOT to kick me!!....Here goes,,,Dirty battery terminals, and a loose ground wire....

There I said it...I feel MUCH better now...

Thanks!!!!

Jimmy G

------------------

1 - 20 of 22 Posts