·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
btt

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I have a Craftsman 1/2 " impact wrench, but it is about 20 years old (I bought it new) and that was when they were Japanese made, i.e., the "good stuff". I'd want to know where that one is made. If China, I'd look around to see if you can find one made in USA or Japan.

I have regular and deep sockets. If you can afford only one set then get regular depth. One thing I'd be worried about is the minimum torque of 50 lbs. Not sure about mine but you need to be careful if you are going to use it on motorcycles. I do not use a torque wrench on my bikes except on stuck nuts and bolts, and only to remove it, and only with the bare minimum torque applied.

If you are not using this on cars then try to get one that is 3/8" drive instead, although the 1/2 inch drives are more ubiquitous an can be purchased for less money.

Another question is whether your compressor can supply the air necessary for using this tool.

·
Registered
11 Posts
That Craftsman is made by IR. It's a very good impact gun. Small, light and reasonably powerful. I have one and like it immensely.

The sockets you can get from just about anywhere. Sometimes the best impact sockets are the cheap no-names you find on sale at the last place you would expect to find selling tools. Generally as long as the sockets are impact rated you're good to go.

I wouldn't recommend it to be used on a bike, except for a countershaft sprocket nut. It's overkill for just about everything else.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
www.thetoolwarehouse.net has great prices and no shipping charges on qualifying orders. I buy a lot of tools from them. Check it out. They sell IR products along with a bunch of other name brands (KD, etc.).

·
Registered
85 Posts
It's looks ok. I got one from Sears (not as nice as that one) and i broke it they replaced it for free.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts