Sportbike World banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious what you guys think of mid to late 90's ZX7R's? I have been looking a lot on ebay and I have found a few for decent prices. Decent bike as far as speed, quality, etc? Any particular years to look for or avoid? Thanks!

·
Registered
271 Posts
The ZX-7R is a great bike I had a 96 ZX-7RR just till recently. Now I have a Duc 996s :)

The bike is a bit heavy next to all the new 600 but its very stable and perhaps one of the best handling bikes ever made. (You can take that to the bank)

Get a 96+ they look the best IMO (96-03 all the same)

Check out the ZX-7R Owners club

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
For your first bike, Speed shouldn't even enter the equation. Stability, rideability, and crash survivability should be the factors.

As far as beginner bikes go, The ZX-7R is probably a little big, but much more stable and easier to ride then late model bikes. It is very stable, and very stout. You can throw a 7R down the road quite a few times before it is done. An R6 can be totalled falling off the kickstand (seen it happen).

Sure, it weighs more, but that extra weight makes it very stable once your moving.

Next race season, I plan on finding out if the 7R can still be competitive. I haven't weighed mine yet, but I'm sure I've pulled 60 pounds or so off of that bike. The kickstand weighs about 4 pounds. The headlights weigh about 15 pounds. Stock bodywork is WAY heavy. I hope to have pics of the newly painted bike up soon... when the paint job is done.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have a 94 zx7 and enjoy it alot. This is my first bike ever. It was my Valentine gift from the wifey. Anyway, it had almost 16,000 miles when it was bought and I just made over 23,000 miles this weekend. It's pretty solid in the corners and I really don't have any complaints except it is a little hard to find spare parts for. It is alot heavier than the bikes the guys I ride with have (their bikes are atleast 5 years newer than mine). To sum up what i'm saying and from others i've talked to...it's heavy but alot of fun. Since I have gotten a few miles under my belt I have signed up for a Track Day at Summit Point, WV in Oct. to learn on a track what I can't on the street, that should be pretty fun!

·
Registered
227 Posts
The 7R is my first sportbike and was a lucky find. Like everyone has said, it is a little heavy but stable ride that holds onto the corners pretty well. Not as aggressive as the RR, but good enough for the likes of me :D The addition of a DynoJet kit or similar mod should help with performance. Other than some body changes, I believe that the late 90's to '03 7R were pretty similar.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just recently bought a 2002 ZX-7R and so far I am pleased. Handles Great and the extra weight, to me makes it feel more stable. I agree that the looks of the Kawasaki bikes are great too.

Here's mine.

Not sure about whether it would be a good starter bike.

I bought mine as more of an intermediate bike, before I step up to a ZX-10, ZX-12, or maybe even a ZX-14 in a few years.
I'm definitely happy with my purchase.

It's still all stock for right now

·
Registered
36 Posts
zx7r

heres mine

a 1996 zx7r as it was about 6 months ago
now its gettin rebuilt with

*same frame (freshly powder coated)
*1994 zx9r motor with zlock racing 950 over bore kit
*2005 zx10r forks - radial brakes -ohlins guts
*attack racing triple tree
*2005 zx10r front and rear wheels
*galfer wave rotors - front and rear
*galfer ss brake and clutch lines
*penske triple clicker rear shock
*crg levers - clutch and brake
*woodcraft rear sets
*woodcraft clip-ons w/bars
*graves fairing stay

*and of course a host of other upgrades yet to come -- stay tuned

*any questions please ask

Attachments

·
Banned
93 Posts
heres mine

a 1996 zx7r as it was about 6 months ago
now its gettin rebuilt with

*same frame (freshly powder coated)
*1994 zx9r motor with zlock racing 950 over bore kit
*2005 zx10r forks - radial brakes -ohlins guts
*attack racing triple tree
*2005 zx10r front and rear wheels
*galfer wave rotors - front and rear
*galfer ss brake and clutch lines
*penske triple clicker rear shock
*crg levers - clutch and brake
*woodcraft rear sets
*woodcraft clip-ons w/bars
*graves fairing stay

*and of course a host of other upgrades yet to come -- stay tuned

*any questions please ask

I like the look of that, you did good. How's the ride?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts