Sportbike World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
what year is it? have you ever rode a bike before (dirt or street)?

this type of question gets asked all the time. Probably the best rule of thumb is to buy a used 250, 500 or at most the sv650. If you buy it used at a good price then you can sell it in 2-3 months for what you bought it for if its not enough for you. then upgrade. it's better to be safe because it is actually a game of life and death. people die from losing control of a bike thats too much for them to handle. don't let ego get into the way

be safe, congrats and always wear gear.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I suggest you start on a smaller bike than a 600. I think a twin with some torque will be sufficient power. It's also easier to manuvere a bike that you sit upright on.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
I bought a 94 cbr600f2 in may 2005 and I love it. No prior experience and my first manual. 600cc is the highest I would recommend as any starter bike without any experience. I took my time and the best way to practice, IMO, is to not get cocky and don't get over confident. I was going to buy an older 500cc honda interceptor but I found a great deal on the cbr600.

Take is slow, learn to use the clutch, take the motorcycle safety course, and avoid traffic for the first few weeks.

BTW, its not a matter of if you crash, just when. I just had an accident of hitting a deer at about 55mph on my bike, but I didn't fall or slide the bike. I came out unhurt and I'd say I was very very lucky.

·
Registered
5 Posts
this should help you!!

I started riding in 2001 on a new 250 ninja. I had prior dirt experience. I got sick of it in 2 months, but it taught me to ride safe on the street. I road it for 6 months (for financing reasons) and then moved to an 02' zx6R ninja. If I would have started with a six hundred I wouldn't be here today. 600's have a lot of power. I bought a cbr1000RR a month ago and I feel comfortable with all that power. Do this, and grow a love for riding. Oh by the way, take a rider safety course. It sounds stupid but it helped me out and reduced my insurence.

·
Registered
37 Posts
eclipse13 said:
Im looking for my first bike. I sat on a few today and the CBR was by far the best fit for me. Would this be decent for a first bike?
I'd start on a 600, but I've been on 250 dirtbikes before. I say 600 because I want to be able to get out of the way quick on the freeway.

·
Registered
609 Posts
You'll hear people say they were fine starting out on a 600...but there's still plenty of people that haven't been. A modern 600 is comparable, or higher performing than a liter bike from only 10-15 years ago. They're still very sensitive as far as brakes, throttle, handling, ect.

Just start out on a smaller bike, a Ninja 250/500, Suzuki GS500...or if you HAVE to go with a 600, an SV650.

·
Registered
67 Posts
The only thing I can recommend about the 600RR/F4i as a starter bike is that they are light. (~365 lbs dry)

If you've taken the MSF course then you know that even 125cc bikes can be decently fast and even scary. A 600RR for a beginner would be a bad idea.

·
Premium Member
4,824 Posts
Mr.TrevorClever said:
I suggest you start on a smaller bike than a 600. I think a twin with some torque will be sufficient power. It's also easier to manuvere a bike that you sit upright on.
Ditto!

Are you picking up what we are laying down. That bike may be too much bike. There is nothing wrong with starting with a bike that has less power. You will need experience to ride a bike. The only way you'll get it is by taking your time and learning the nuances of riding.

Just think of how skilled you'll be when you do start with a less aggressive bike and move on to a larger one.

Don't forget proper gear. You should at minimum be wearing helmet, leather jacket (armored), boots, and gloves.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts