Sportbike World banner

How do you react/respond when you are cut off by a cager?

• DO NOTHING: Keep your peace and ride on.

Votes: 17 27.9%
  • ALERT DRIVER: Point at eyes or head to encourage them to be more AWARE.

Votes: 33 54.1%
  • TALK TO THEM: At the next light, directly but calmly speak to them about their driving habits.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • OBSCENITIES: Verbally cuss at them or use gestures like telling them they're #1.

Votes: 6 9.8%
  • THROWING OBJECTS: Toss something at their car (e.g., ball bearing, stones, etc.)

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • GO APESH-T: Follow them til they stop TO: threaten them, challenge them to a fight, OR kick or stri

Votes: 3 4.9%

• Total voters
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
gsx-in the city said:
After reading the (CAGER EATS IT THREAD) I'm genuinely curious to see how MOST people react to cut offs...:cool:
That kinda depends on whether or not it was intentional. For the most part, I figure if they'd seen me, they wouldn't have cut me off. So, in a case of "no harm, no foul", I don't sweat it.

But one time, riding the freeway on my SV, I'm in the fast lane and this lady in a van comes right over on me as I start to overtake, then swerves quickly back into her lane, so I knew she saw me. Then she comes right over on me again and I have to get on the brakes hard ! It was just like she went, "Whoops, there's a motorcycle.... Ah, f*ck him, I'll change lanes anyway."

I went to the middle lane, passed her, looked back and made a WTF ?!-type hand gesture to her, not the finger but a palm-up gesture. It's a bad idea to flip off cagers or whatever, but I had to let her know I didn't appreciate what she did.

·
Registered
560 Posts
One of the few fringe benefits of riding a Road King and wearing a black & white helmet is that the average cager thinks I'm a cop. It's remarkable how acute cager's eyesight gets when they think you're the law :D

I also live in a fairly sparcely populated area with fairly limited traffic. For the most part, the "Hank's Horns" (nice loud airhorns) and my appearance keep things civilized.

Ride safe, be smart.

Cheers,
Kev

·
Registered
120 Posts
I don't think there is a whole lot to do, I wish a good solution existed, I try to alert them to the mistake if it seemed like an accidental thing and tell them that being impatient is not worth it,

I would like to know a reasonable way to deal with the seemingly growing number of people that will mess around and be jerks, I wish the cops weren't so worthless, because I would think that they would be the ones that would be responsible for finding these people and taking away driving privileges. Several years ago the state police in my area spent many thousands of dollars on an unmarked silver astrovan that was equipped with all sorts of cameras and recording gadgetry. I read a story in the ny times about it and they said they were going to use it to catch aggresive drivers in the act. I was driving about 1K miles a week and more at that time, all on the highway, and I saw the van twice, at the end of the month on an overpass that overlooked a downhill stretch of highway w/a pig aiming his laser at anyone who looked like they were going fast.

And when the people show up to keep points off, the officer says that it is no problem, he'll be a nice guy and reduce the violation to non points as long as you'll pay the amount of the original. After all, if people wouldn't speed then no $$$.

The police don't care unless someone gets hurt or there is property damage, or if they need to fill there pockets.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Pack mentality/road rage

Getting cut off...

Coming back from the race track with four friends we were all lined up at a stop sign waiting to turn left (we drive in the left lane here so reverse everything). There was two lanes and across the road a cager also going to turn... He should have turned into the lane closest to him but he cut across his lane into the lane we were pulling into. Anyway the first bike out had to take evassive action, needless to say it was five verses one and the cager was "encouraged" to be more aware for about 5 minutes until he ran a red light to get away.

Encouragement ranged from kicking a door to get his attention followed by various hand signal and alot of shouting and crowding.

I'd never do some of the things these guys did but it wasn't serious. I dont think the cager learnt anything by it. It was completely unjustified but we all had a laugh about it afterwards.

Most of the time I just stare at a cager. The one time I said anything was to a truckie and he poured coffee on me.:mad:

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
The more yrs you ride the less likely one will get into any rage.

I will try to give the driver a dirty look, but through a full face visor there is not much they will see & even less when I am wearing a dark smoked visor.
If they have seen their error I simply shake my head from side to side indicating that it was a close one & THEIR fault. All I do is go back to my personal experience at that very time & wonder if in ANY way I was even 10% wrong compared to the driver being 100% & sometimes I might realize I was a fraction to close or not concentrating 100% on all the traffic around me.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I usually give them a WTF gesture when someone pulls out in front of me. Then once I get somewhere I can pass em I give em one of these as I go by. :finger: I almost got run over with a chick on the pillion one time. I was passing a couple cars on a dotted line in a long straightaway and this asshole decided he wants to pass at the same time that I was overtaking (couple of 16 year old punk kids). Closest I've ever come to dragging someone out of their car and beating them to within an inch of their life. But after a few choice words and gestures I cooled down and realized it was probably about 50% my fault too. Still pissed me off though, PAY ATTENTION WHEN YOU DRIVE!!! Do you really think a group of sportbikes is not going to pass two cars going 10 under the speedlimit in a long straightaway?? Cage drivers have their heads buried so far up their asses it's unbelievable. lol

·
Registered
860 Posts
i really havent had too many run in's with cagers. my first was at this crooked intersection where if you drive straight you end up in the other persons lane, but if you do it right you have to make a slight left turn to get into your lane and the person next to me didnt relize this and got over into my lane and came pretty close to stealing my knee, but i ride that way to work so i was ready for it and i pulled next to her and she appologized and i understood b/c the lines are really poorly marked. On the other hand i wet after this 16 year old bastard kid who when i was driving down a residential street walked into the street and just as i passed screamed bloody murder and scared the crap out or me. I think he was a lil bit shocked to see some guy turn around and drive up his front lawn to scream at him:finger:. i was seriously considering kickin his ass allover his yard but his dad came out and well he took care of that for me:D . just a lil guestion do any of you guys while riding at night if you see a car that you think cant see you do you flash your brights ive been doing this off and on and you would be surprised how many people start to go then stop?....also i seem to see a real trend in all these stories and it's this three letter word...SHE...just a thought;)

·
Registered
577 Posts
I used to go apeshitballistic, but now self control usually gets the better of me. I just twist the throttle and put myself on another part of the road and leave the cagedick in gridlock to sniff exhaust.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I try to let people know if they do something boneheaded, but I don't usually get to upset. Besides I've been known to do some boneheaded things myself, and the street is not a good place for a 500 pound bike to argue with a 3000 pound car. Now, if you catch them stopped later........

·
Registered
463 Posts
I have pulled enough bone-headed things in my life to take it too personally. If someone does it deliberately, though, that's something else. But, I think 99.999% of the time it is just inattention... and you are cruising for trouble if you expect people to see you.

I just kinda pretend they are a bunch of unpredictable hammer-headed steers when I'm riding among them and expect the worst. ;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
I was pulling up to a flashing yellow to make a right hand turn. Some chick cager in a Lumina was pulling stopping at her flashing red their to my left. I saw her nosing down as she was stopping so I knew that she was going a little fast; but stopping nonetheless.

I'm damn near in front of the b_tch leaning for the left and she shoots through within six or eight feet of me!!! I can't even be sure that she saw despite the close proximity. She continued on her way up the road like a bat out of hell. I was doing 65-70 to get up to her and express my displeasure as I passed but she was going much faster than me! She was either scared or in a biga$$ hurry; probably in a rush to get to work and trying to make up time given the way she was nosing into the intersection.

Everything in the rearview being 20/20, I should have assumed she shoot through by the way her car was diving down.

Biker beware!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
As of right now, I am bikeLESS. But for the past 20 years of my life I have ridden with my pops. The major conflict I see in todays drivers (of the cage gender) is the F**king cell phone. If I see one on the phone I am right in the middle of the road so they can atleast see mee behind them. Then I peg it and hope to GOD they saw me back there.

To this day I have had good luck with cagers. *knocks on wood~several times *

·
Registered
79 Posts
I don't usually do anything, aside from making all manner of comments inside my helmet. It's pointless to agitate about it, when they're in their soundproof (or sound-filled) tin box and likely wouldn't notice if you hit them anyway. Put some distance between you and the offender, and go your way (but watch your mirrors...some of these plods take offense at being passed). If the offending cage continues to exhibit dangerous behavior, then it's warp speed for the nearest state trooper station. Funny how their rage disappears when you pull in next to a state trooper and start talking to him :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts